What's new

increasing resin production with UV

the gnome

Veteran
isn't the purpose of the trichomes to diffuse bright light to protect the leaf surface?
if that is the case, more UV (in limited amounts) could stimulate trichome production, but imagine it would have to be earlier in flower, than late(speculating).
prismatic effect of the stalked capitate trichomes could be to seperate the spectrum of light, or to spread it over a greater surface area. haven't asked my girls which one it is yet though.
could be a mechanism to speed decarboxalation, could be just me...

posted a new thread back on trichome production a few days ago https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=191734
wonder when trich production begins, peaks and ends.

my thoughts were leading to when the best time to try xtra UV.
or keep the mh bulbs in.
they way I read it, somewhere it doesn't make more trichomes as it increases resin production
possibly in the hi altitude, indica's over time exposed to hi UV also start to adapt and increase trichs in response.
I believe the amount of trich's are genetically probably but we can tinker to a degree with resin production

as last waltz said, nothings really been proven
but its sure worth investigating imo.
iI keep thinking about an experienced grower in knew in 2000.
he used MH for his entire grow and said his strain was way stickier with resin than if he used hps.

Dj Greenthumbs

Has anyone read the article in Skunk magazine called "Hash Tips" it was a pretty interesting read. I found an excerpt from it you all may be interested in. The photos in this article showed tips TOTALLY mounded with resin from an LED light with the following specs:

The spectrum to look for is NANOMETER RED at least 40% of the light must be 660nm red. 680nm red must NOT be included. The importance of of 660nm red, in the absence of 680nm red is absorption peaks around 660nm for red and flowering is inhibited at around 680nm red. HPS bulbs, which can be considered the industry standard for flowering, have a less-targeted spectrum. Many lumens are wasted, but that is not the key issue: the HPS spectrum contains 680nm red. This inhibits flowering just enough so that resin concentrations are standardized.

Metal halides are also sometimes used during flowering to promote resin production. This effect is from UVB light that exists in halides. Halides also contain 680nm red and will not achieve the concentration we're looking for. Only in high concentrations of 660nm red - without the 680nm red - can the cannabis buds reach a point closer to genetic perfection.

Quoted from Skunk magazine.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
IMHO, this is an example of confounding variables. I have not seen one scientifically sound positive test of UV light on increasing potency. Neither has anyone provided an explanation of how UV light is supposed to do this.......

thing is, because the 'high' is a complex result of not only thc but how it interacts with other cannabinoids, proving increased potency 'scientifically' is not possible atm really. even if there is less THC then there could be a tiny bit of something else that, with the THC, blows us into space. all we are going to have is subjective evaluation of people who try it - and of course we could be imagining it, having bought the equipment we want it to work :)
a bit like getting those silly inch thick interconnects for your hifi and thinking it sound better.

as for how UV increases potency - lets face it we are talking about energy here and it's not crazy to me that the plant has evolved to use that energy just like they make energy from light (of other wavelengths) in photosynthesis.
one thing i am sure of, and i think most people are sure of (correct me if im wrong) is that good weed grown in good sunshine has an extra 'something' in the high over indoor weed - so that is the basis on which i experiment with such things as UV indoors.
the idea that the resin is some kind of protection for uv is a reasonably plausible theory (although i think the mj optics study about the tric being a 'lens' for light has been discredited. )
the other theory ive always has is that resin is an insect attractant (because although mj is wind pollenated, it has evolved from insect pollenated plants just like most other wind pollenated plants)

VG

LastWaltz

Hey, VG that's the thing so much about cannabis is subjective, with different strains affecting different people in different ways. I understand where you and a couple others are coming from, I am simply following the scientific method, which is generally you try and prove things wrong and as a result provide new truths and thus there is advancement.

On a much more interesting note, if I used a spectral radiometer on cannabis canopies and provided it with full spectrum artificial light or the sun outside, wouldn't I be able to evaluate the absorption of different bands of light in comparison to the incident light provided. Would this help answer many of these questions. I suppose I could chamber the plant too and measure the Co2 flux from it to determine the rate of photosynthesis to certain bands of light.

GrinStick

the idea that the resin is some kind of protection for uv is a reasonably plausible theory (although i think the mj optics study about the tric being a 'lens' for light has been discredited. )
VG
:wave:
HEY THANKS sorry cps loc on...i'm learning from just this
and this...
post #21, thanx Gnome