What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Increase cloning success!! Cut again underwater

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
no scraping with razor and cutting yourself,,no angles,scissors====priceless..yeehaw ..cloning is the easiest part of growing for me...I also don't mist clones....matter of fact I generally don't do anything for the first 5 days..then I check if tray is still got some water and prop lid a crack...sterilite trays rock..fuck them flimsy seedling/cloning setups..

importedtermite

No I'm over in the thumb, studying at SVSU. I'm finishing up my last semester right now and I'll have a bachelor's in biology.

Stoned trout I wonder if the reason that burying a node underground increases success is because of the multiple uptake sites. That would reduceeducing the chance of an embolism forming and also allowing more stem cells to differentiate into roots.

Here's another pic of how the trachieds in the xylem deal with embolisms, the buried nodes would certainly increase the water flow through them.

Attachments

• 20160114_172705.jpg
    20160114_172705.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 11

Budley Doright

Veteran
Same sort of concept.....

In this case a quite large woody clone....

People here say that its more difficult to get an older clone to root....

Enter stem scarification/node planting...

If you look closely at pic 2....you will see lots of nice roots where stem was scraped....

and none for the unscarified stem....unscraped

I really like this pic....it shows many roots coming from the areas that have scrapes....and none from untouched stem....

IMO there is no real difference in stem scarification and node burial......

importedtermite

As long as there is cambium exposed roots have a much greater chance, a buried node and scraping both accomplish this. Budley, your second pic illustrates this perfectly. I would like to see which works better. A simple experiment could be set up where the two stems are scraped, one above and one below the node and then observing which area grows better and also if the scraping positions made a difference.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Different methods, same results.

Deleafing at nodes always worked for me along with humidity tent (various ways to achieve) and warmth.

I go with simple.

Easy7

Veteran
How I learned to clone, from an agriculture student, was to take a second cut under water and crop the two fan leaves. It's always worked, not to say there aren't other methods that also work.

Rooting hormone works wonders. There is some of this hormone in the growth tips. Excessive nitrogen deters rooting. More than one way to skin a cat

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
KISS baby..all those extra steps I don't have to do....yeehaw....I would be interesting in the findings/conclusions of such a test termite...I too went to school for horticulture...cuyamaca comm colledge in el cajon California...great school awesome hort program ..I took just about every class offered...the teachers were amazed at how much I already seemed to know...and wondered why I bought a lot of the soil I mixed in class...they sell soil ....ha ha...going back to school was so worth it ...a lot of what I learned helped me growing..ipm,turf management,irrigation design ,xerascape sp? greenhouse management and quite a few others...I also took automotive there so I fixed cars for those in horticulture program and hooked up people with weed to those in automotive...was awesome and I had so much fun and got to use all their equipment...

Easy7

Veteran
As long as sharp scissors are used for the first cut, there shouldn't be any crushing of cells. I never really saw the purpose in cutting the fan leaves in half. Seems too many steps only introduce disease.

What's your favorite rooting product or do you make your own stoned-trout?

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
You cut the fan leaves to reduce the amount of vegetation needing to transpire. I do this as it reduces wilt which reduces time until roots form.

Budley Doright

Veteran
I never cut any leaves.... the large clone in post 26 has no cut leaves.....

If you have to cut leaves.....it means your environment isnt right for clones.....

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I can do just fine with any product but my favorite is WOODS liquid concentrate.. it has both naa and i3ba ..in good concentrations...it aint cheap but works good as I use it on other hard to clone stuff too....yeehaw..I only cut leaves if a really pack trays in tight ..I have found where leaves touch mold tends to grow in my setup...that the only reason ..in a regular packed tray I don't touch them...

Easy rule of thumb hack...
When cutting a clone place directly into a glass of water to expel air bubbles from wound which might stunt root production.. Then strip and prepare for cloning.

No scientific blah blah, works, know from experience.
Taught to me by an old master

Salute Bossie!

brown_thumb

I'm a noob so am not offering advice. This is just the result of the one time I tried cloning. I made 14 cuts, dipped them in Clonex, then planted them in soil. All I did was assure they didn't stay too dry or too wet. All 14 did well until I had to hide them for awhile and they were neglected. Even after being treated poorly, more than half of them did well.

I didn't know the scientific jargon but what I always do after cutting shoot from mother plant is to immediately submerge in water to expel air bubble from cut, seems to work fine.
Would like to try your method, just not sure how to make effective 45* angle cut under water without damaging cutting