What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

In ground planting: mixing native soil with no-till / super soil?

RenaissanceBrah

I’ve been hearing that to fill the 60 gallon hole I made in my backyard, I shouldn’t fill it with [only] my regular super soil mix, but rather mix in the local soil, so that when the plant reaches the edge of the hole, the roots will keep growing into the native soil.

I’m in Southern California, the native soil is quite sandy / clay-like, so I assume there’s little nutrients in it. Not sure if having the roots grow into the native soil would make a difference.

What are your opinions on this?

Also, if I do mix in the native soil, how would it play into the regular no till soil ratios of 1/1/1 or 40/40/20 of pumice / peat moss / compost? I wasn’t sure what ingredient to adjust for that.

Three Berries

Interesting. Quite dry too I assume? What is you watering situation?

I would bust up the edge of the original soil and start mixing it in as you get closer to it. Leaving the center for your super stuff. If the roots don't like it they won't go there. Especially if it's dryer than the center mass.

Just my opinion.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Just fill the hole with your soil mix. Before you fill it, sprinkle a bunch of gypsum in the bottom and around the edges. the roots will grow out into the native soil no problem..