What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Important Informatiom On IP logging

full time daddy
Veteran
Ron Bennett said:
p.s. many VB boards have IMG turned on by default ... before even bothering with proxies or whatnot, turn off IMG in UserCP, at least for PMs.

whats up with this???? why should we so we know i trust u but info is allways nice :D

ill post what shabang posted on og years ago. i think its in that same thread someone posted from google chache on ip security.

314Image66.jpg

G

Tejas: The first thing Zone Alarm reported this morning was "windows messenger" was trying to count keystrokes and mouse movements.

Dude, sounds like you have a keylogger trojan on your puter, I suggest running your spyware program

full time daddy
Veteran
Tejas said:
"windows messenger"

control panel/admintools/services

then look for messanger and disable it

it dont turn off msger it turns its internet services off
(it one of them backdoor for spyware to get in n out)
( lil gray window's popup on u ? ) not no more if u do this

u for sure have spyware..... if its counting keystokes....lol

id go check out some computer tech fourms for spyware removal more then one program is needed......

Last edited:
G

ME262 said:
Who's to say someone didn't borrow my address to post at OG and IC?

Yes! Who says that images are really yours? Maybe the're from google... I live in a small country, 2 million people... We have growing forums that run for several years now and I am a part of the team. They have never checked who is on forums, they never used any evidence from there and they could, easily get to the info, if they watnted to... They leave small growers alone. Who would bother for fucking a guy with 10 plants he uses for himself and some friends. There are better things to do.

Peace and love,
Agnes

Ganjaden

They leave small growers alone. Who would bother for fucking a guy with 10 plants he uses for himself and some friends. There are better things to do.

There are lots of folks hoping the same thing, probably the majority are "small closet space sized gardeners". It's hard to believe they'd go right down the list knocking down these small spaced gardens. I would think that'd be a publicity nightmare....you leo's spent how many thousands of dollars on this "investigation" and you're getting all these 10 plant gardens....wow! Impressive. Anyway.....here's hoping for the best.

mpro

It amuses me that this type of conversation keeps popping up. The internet is pretty much still the 'wild west' when it comes to getting in trouble for stuff.

Stay away from child pron-n-terrorism and I think you'll be alright.

no face, no name, no address? No problem!

2buds

Hey Peeps,
I have also read that if you setup an open wireless connection(hub/router) behind your modem, should a case ever be brought against you based on IP information, said info would be worthless in court if you have verifiable proof of the open wireless connection which would allow any one access to you internet connection. I'm relaying what I have read, again everyone is responsible for your own personal security, the mods here are only accountable on their end not your end. Stay safe, stay green, peace.

G

2buds said:
Hey Peeps,
I have also read that if you setup an open wireless connection(hub/router) behind your modem, should a case ever be brought against you based on IP information, said info would be worthless in court if you have verifiable proof of the open wireless connection which would allow any one access to you internet connection. I'm relaying what I have read, again everyone is responsible for your own personal security, the mods here are only accountable on their end not your end. Stay safe, stay green, peace.

The only problem you have with Wireless. Is anyone around you can crack it and see what you are up too.

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
You guys keep up this good work/posting about security, because it helps to keep it in the forefront of our brains. When I drive now, heck everything I do now, I'm much more alert about my safety and legal issuses. It's a form of survival mode, to protect us from harm. Thanks so much!

2buds

securitycmsfrst said:
The only problem you have with Wireless. Is anyone around you can crack it and see what you are up too.

True, but what are you logging into when you go wireless at an internet cafe or such, the same situation. Any computer geek in the place that really wants to see what's on your pc while your logged in can do it unless you've protected yourself before logging on. I would not recommend an unlocked wireless connection to anyone that uses there pc for financial situations. I don't recommend wireless to businesses unless they are willing to accept the risk. When properly set-up wireless can be very convenient and quit secure but for the best security, a piece of Cat5 is the way to go. For the average joe shmoe user that reads sites like this, plays games or what have ya, wireless is great.
I was just throwing it out there for a defense should someone have the worst luck possible and find themselves on the ground breaking end of an IP based bust. With an open wireless connection on your network, there is always the possibilty somone else could have used your internet connection. I'm definately not telling everyone they should run out and buy a wireless link for their network, please don't think this is my intention, it's just some info to pass along. Stay safe everyone.

Last edited:

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
securitycmsfrst said:

Maybe your grandmas wireless but now a days they have plenty better encryption and access lists. Sure you could break it after parking your ass outside my house for a few years but when you can drive a few more miles and tap into Mr. Zerosecurity why wait?

By utilizing the least protective security measures you can fend off about 99.99% of all the attackers.

Then remember that an open unprotected system is in a grey area of the law right now, sure it not yours but open and unprotected [ ie does not need a hack to get in ] generally means open for public use. Theres a few cases pending in NYC a other densly populated areas where people tend to suck away a lot of "free" bandwidth knowing someone is paying for it.

G

didn't mean to get flamed. But most non internet friendly people out there don't know shit about security. And I sure in the hell would not want my neighbor to know im growing.

To stay safe is to not post pot pictures on the internet period. Where there is a will there is a way ;)

don't flame me . Its just better safe then sorry locked up in prison. You can learn learn learn off these sites without bragging about your grow.

Or better yet.. take pictures... and post them after you harvested ;)

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
All good points made and taken to heart here. That's what I was asking for: point blank security measures to keep out of the pokie.

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Believe me, you werent flamed. I have plenty examples of those if you need. I merely pointed out what your post didnt. My post was informative and had the technical information to back it to ease up on all the fear mongering people have been posting around here. Seems your follow up was more of the same.

I think you give peeps a whole lot less credit than knowing they shouldnt run an open wireless computer network in their grow house. I guess neon potleaf signs in the window are a no no too?

G

. . . .

I spoke to an Absolute Expert regarding this "IP Logging" debacle,and he assured me that there's not fuckall of a way to get a warrant simply based on posts from a particular IP.
If you used your "real" email addy to activate an OG/CW account,that'd be one way to track you,but I-f'ing P's are NOT going to be the downfall of anybody posting on these VB sites.
QuitfuckingWORRYING.

Thanks.

Last edited:
G

I would not be so sure on that Rez. If you use a Cable connection. Your marked!

G

I use heavily-cloaked DSL,myself,but I checked into the cable-based IP's,and dropped a WHOIS on a random selection of a few friends,with different providers....what I got for info....ain't much....and posts certainly can't be linked to any specific computer, provided you keep a clean HD,and don't save/copy emails/forums.
(Why anybody would ever save emails is a complete mystery to me!)
Also,anybody running open-source internet,essentially,giving it away,is even less likely to to have any hassles regarding posts made from any specific IP addy.
So,post heavily cloaked and give away some bandwidth,is my suggestion.

Ciao!

Latest posts

Latest posts