What's new

Im no electician but i need one any thoughts?

B

Blunted22

Hey guys trying to get a new house up and going i want to run everything in the basement which has only one dedicated breaker for the whole thing. I was told as general rule of thumb not to have more then 2 1000W per breaker but that same breaker can hold some pumps and fans and what not.

So i need to get about 4 new breakers installed all to the basement all just haveing like a 4 unit plug for each breaker.

What i need to know is only 2 lights per breaker a low ball estimate? Can i run more? Also how do you get a electrician in there to install 4 new breakers all to the basement without it looking suspicouse? Anyone have anything to help me iwould like to know..

G

Do you have a panel in the basement with empty spaces for breakers?I wouldnt put two 1K fixtures on even a 20 amp breaker at 120V,you need to be a lot more clear about what you have and what you want to do.

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
a 1000w ballast draws about 9-9.5 amps.
2 lights is definately pressing your luck.
if your gonna have a sparky over, just show em where you want the wires ran to.
you flash the cash, he'll do it, no questions asked.

B

Blunted22

Ok so your telling me that i should only have 1k light per breaker?!?! itll be a 120v plug and ive been useing 2k on 1 breaker atm they turn on and off in sequence though. Can anyone help me out.

When i say on one breaker i do not mean on one plug but all the plugs are on the same circuit.

Cocktail frank i couldnt see an electricain comeing in and installing 8 breakers and pulgs and not being suspicouse(sp). If i can only run 1 1k per breaker im kinda screwed.

Last edited:
B

Blunted22

This is what i want to do. I want to run 6 -10 1k's in a basement. The panel has extra slots to install breakers. How many do i need to get installed to run the full 10? and how do i get them installed without being suspicious? Im really paranoid about haveing anything come up being fishy to anyone around the house or that comes in and works on it. I cant even thank of a legitimate excuse to install that many new breakers in one place.

B

Blunted22

can i get like 40 amp or 60 amp breakers installed? and run multiple 1k's off of something like thatA?

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you could have the sparky run you a 100a subpanel to near where the grow is gonna be.
just tell him you're gonna put in some sort of shop. etc..metal, wood, fabrication.
if your grow isnt setup already, you should have no worries.
you can safely run more lights off a 240 volt circuit.
you'll be just under 50a of lights at 240v with 10k

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
You'd probably be better to run a sub panel off one larger 40-60A breaker to where you what to plug in your lights..Also you'd definitly be better off runnin those ballasts @ 220V

The reason they say 1 1000W per 20A breaker is: 1000W pulls 9-9.5A @ 120V, by code (and for safety's sake) you are only supposed to pull 80% of a breakers rated load IF the load is considered CONTINUOUS. Continuous meaning if the appliance/motor/etc is turned on for more than 3 hours per day. Your lights will be 12/12hr I'm certain so you dont want to pull more than 16A per 20A breaker.

B

Blunted22

so you want me to buy one of those thigns that cost like 300$ and plugs in to a 220 volt washer plug and convert into like 4 to 8 120v plugs is that what your talking about?

Would it be possible get some 40-60 breakers installed with surge-protected wall receptacles. "Quad receptacles" that have four outlets with built-in surge protection can replace standard electrical outlets, helping to reduce the jumble of wires that results when too many plug-in devices are used in the home office.

If i did something like that would i be able to plugin multiple 1k lights to a breaker.

I was talkign to the guy at the shop and he told me he dont carry them panels and dont think hes sold one in years he told me just get shit installed permenatly

B

Blunted22

cocktail is it normal to have someone install a 100a subpanel in a basement? and if im only using half of it is it possible to run something liek and 80?

I dont know sit about electricity.

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
stuff like that are things that elects do for a living. he wont think twice about it.
keep the area clean of shit he dont need to see.
you want to size the panel for the max of what you will think of using.
this way your covered and never have to upgrade it again.
why do twice the work?

B

Blunted22

do you know about the range to have on installed price wise?

I know itll different alot from region to region but im in the us and i can still get a rough estimate.

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
few hundred bucks i'd say
it all depends on the job and whats involved to get it done.
shouldnt be that bad since you need it in the basement. if your panels in the basement aswell and the basement is unfinished, should be a quick job

imnotcrazy

Veteran
Yeah, well as electricians by TRADE, we're not giong to advise people to break code for a reason....We'll lose our privalage to operate our businesses. That and it only takes ONE fire to burn your house down and/or get you busted. I don't want to be the guy responsible for that.

I think as growers, obviously commercial if he is tryin to run 6000W, we should NOT be risking ANYTHING. If you choose to See of Green, no offense, but do so on your terms with your safety/security at risk......

G

Sea of green its quite cool that you've overloaded your circuit for some time without issues,that makes you the winner of this years Bozo button.It's quite uncool though to act like its a normal safe operation,others may become as ignorant as you to the dangers if you convince them its OK.Never even tripped a breaker?Thats laughable.Breakers can fail,wires can burn,grow on bro...

Last edited:
B

Blunted22

Lets not turn this into a flame thread he was just saying that it was possible. I ran it like that for 4 months with no probs so i know it can be done but i want to be totally safe on this one.

G

There are flames and there are flames bro,people that run 2K on a 12 wire 20A circuit are playing with fire and by no means should they be posting it as proper in any way.Flame thread?How about people that know nothing about electricity shouldn't be posting advice.Its much more dangerous than a "flame" or two.For all I know,he has a bad breaker and very hot 12 wire.Or he could have 10 wire on a 20A breaker.I dont fuckin care.Dont insinuate its OK to run 2 1K fixtures on a 12 wire 20A circuit at 120V,period!

imnotcrazy

Veteran
Damn, everytime I check I have NO rep left for soilman.....Time to spread the love lol

58FLH: Good advice, I'd go w/ the Kiln or Shop before Welder in a basement tho...

D

DB2004

12 AWG wire is rated for 20 amps. A 20 amp breaker won't trip until 120% (24amps) is being drawn as a load. Two 1000 watt ballasts would work on a 20 amp breaker with 12 AWG wire. The wire would be carrying about 18 amps. If by code you can't, why are Sunlight and HID timerboards allowed to have a 40 amp wire to run 8 - 1000 watt ballasts and a constant 120V outlet for another 10 amps. One of the 120V wires is drawing 50 amps and the other 40 amps. These timerboards have been approved for sale.

Best Regards

DB2004