What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I'm confused about something...

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How many amps of electricity do your respective LED units use LED Girl?

I don't mean what they say on the stickers or what is advertised I mean what do they actually draw in real world numbers?

I know someone here locally who has a newer "330 watt" unit from a different company that says it's 5 amps max but draws more like 8+ amps if turned all the way up when hooked up to one of those juice meters that test the electrical load, and it has the output to justify it.

LEDGirl

Veteran
How many amps of electricity do your respective LED units use LED Girl? I don't mean what they say on the stickers or what is advertised I mean what do they actually draw in real world numbers?

I know someone here locally who has a newer "330 watt" unit from a different company that says it's 5 amps max but draws more like 8+ amps if turned all the way up when hooked up to one of those juice meters that test the electrical load, and it has the output to justify it.

330W is LumiGrow. They run 5W LED's, which operate at a much higher amperage than our 1W LED's. Our 126W units are rated at 1.2amp on the sticker. I know you don't want the sticker #, but that's all I have at this time, as I don't have a "juice meter". I'm currently running 6, 126W units, a water chiller, and pumps on a single 20A circuit with plenty to spare (can plug in a vacuum and run it without tripping the breaker). I wish I had a more exact answer for you, but my knowledge of electricity is fairly limited.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's wierd that things never pull the amps they say on the sticker makes me wonder why the sticker says that number, I totally don't understand that.

Why would the light using 5 watt led lights use 8 amps of electricty if it's suppose to be 330 watts?

I also don't see how something using 126 watts could use 1.2 amps, would that not assume perfect efficiency? I'm guessing they are most likely 2 .5 - 3 amps?

The procyon uses 3 amps (I called a light seller and they confirmed this) and it a 125 watt light I think?

LEDGirl

Veteran
Why would the light using 5 watt led lights use 8 amps of electricty if it's suppose to be 330 watts?

I also don't see how something using 126 watts could use 1.2 amps, would that not assume perfect efficiency? I'm guessing they are most likely 2 .5 - 3 amps?

The procyon uses 3 amps (I called a light seller and they confirmed this) and it a 125 watt light I think?

1W LED's operate between 350-700mA usually. Higher wattage LED's can operate anywhere from 1amp on up. As I stated before, I don't know much when it comes to electricity, so I don't know how the units use the amount of power they do. Wish I could be more help, but perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge on the electrical side could step in and answer the question?

dirtyshawa

ok, 3rd year union electrician here. watts/voltz=amps, so, 1.2 is about right.

now, i'm confused. i'm definitely going leds but, i've just begun to study up on this technology and some of the info i've found speaks to the point of lumens being irrelevant when it comes to grow lights. i know your planning to drop a series with a higher lumen output but, i'd appreciate it if you could elaborate a little more on how the upcoming models will produce more lumens when current models par rating is at the optimal nm. i'm just trying to make an informed decision. i would like to take a wait and see approach but, lord knows how long i'll be waiting on someone else's grow.

LEDGirl

Veteran
Lumens are a measurement of light corresponding to how bright that light is to our eyes. It is only able to be disregarded, if we are not talking about the exact spectra at which plants absorb light most efficiently. While lumens are not the best measurement for plant light, you can assume that if the light is brighter to us, it's also brighter to them. How we will increase our lumen output, is simply by using the best LED's in the world, instead of the most cost-effective. The LED's we currently use do not emit as much light as say a similar Cree would emit, so our Pro model will feature those higher output, top-end LED's.

PAR is a range rating, from 350nm-750nm on some scales and 400nm-700nm on most. This includes the 500-600nm range, where barely any light energy is used for photosynthesis. So even though PAR refers to the photosynthetically active radiation, 1/3 of it's range really isn't used. The remaining spectra are used in various amounts, and absorbed at various efficiencies.

I am having the engineers test our 63W, 126W, and 318W units at 6", 12", and 18" for PAR values. These values will be listed on our new site, as well as the corresponding lumen value, as we use the spectrum of light that plants utilize best.

As far as grow tests are concerned, here is a list:

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/459782-gdp-under-318w-led.html

http://stinkbuddies.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=455.0
http://www.rollitup.org/grow-journals/263735-stinkbud-inspired-aero-nft-ledgirl.html#post3313090

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/journals-progress/102581-scoobys-1st-grow-led-2.html

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/journals-progress/104147-testing-new-led-lights-vs-1000w-hps.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/486023-1st-grow-126watt-led-hgl.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-g...oman-126-watt-penetrator-led.html#post5975611

Last edited:

dirtyshawa

Lumens are a measurement of light corresponding to how bright that light is to our eyes. It is only able to be disregarded, if we are not talking about the exact spectra at which plants absorb light most efficiently. While lumens are not the best measurement for plant light, you can assume that if the light is brighter to us, it's also brighter to them. How we will increase our lumen output, is simply by using the best LED's in the world, instead of the most cost-effective. The LED's we currently use do not emit as much light as say a similar Cree would emit, so our Pro model will feature those higher output, top-end LED's.

PAR is a range rating, from 350nm-750nm on some scales and 400nm-700nm on most. This includes the 500-600nm range, where barely any light energy is used for photosynthesis. So even though PAR refers to the photosynthetically active radiation, 1/3 of it's range really isn't used. The remaining spectra are used in various amounts, and absorbed at various efficiencies.

I am having the engineers test our 63W, 126W, and 318W units at 6", 12", and 18" for PAR values. These values will be listed on our new site, as well as the corresponding lumen value, as we use the spectrum of light that plants utilize best.

yeah, i'm following those threads and i'm aware of all the info you've just stated. maybe, i should clearify myself a little more. on a scientific level can you explain how the "best leds in the world" are superior to those currently in production? paraphrasing here, but, aren't your leds the best because, they only use the optimal par wavelength. with that withstanding, how does an increase in lumens/intensity make a more productive lamp? furthermore, wouldn't an increase in lumens result in more colors not relevant to plant production? i don't know shit, but, i would tend to think that an expansion on the footprint of that optimal wavelength would be the next course of action. lastly, when do you expect a conclusion to your engineers tests? there's alot of irony to the advantages led lighting and my particular situation but, with a limted track record and tons of misinformation i feel i need to make a well informed decision before making a major investment into it. like i said i don't really know much about led lighting but, i've always been an extremely fast learner, so, your expertise or opinion on a more scientific/technical level would be appreciated.

LEDGirl

Veteran
I think you guys are getting a bit caught up on a few things, and misunderstanding a bit about my lights. There is nothing different about the 660nm used in my product, vs every other LED Grow Light made in the same factory in China, EXCEPT that my 660nm's have a 60 degree lens. The lens makes all the difference in how efficiently that light is delivered to your plants, and how much intensity it carries for penetration. So there is nothing superior to the LED itself, I simply took the specs at 120 degrees like EVERY other LED Grow Light, and changed them to 60 degree. Simple huh?

As far as the spectral output goes, I'm likely one of the only companies in the world who designed my light specifically for marijuana. I dialed the ratios in, according to the absorption percentage of each individual nm of light. I don't use bull shit colors like Orange, found in almost any copy-cat grow light on the market, and when it comes to picking the correct nm, I use the ones closest to the absorption peaks, not 10-15nm from it which is far less efficient. Most companies don't take the time, or simply don't care about giving you the exact spectrum, they simply think that "this red blue combination is what plants need". So when it comes to spectral output, I have a lot more research behind my back than other companies, and a lot more development when it comes to the specific nm's, and their respective ratios in our light. The ratios effect the rate of growth, and how efficiently the plants can convert the delivered light energy, into plant energy.

So back to lumens: how does an increase in lumens/intensity make a more productive lamp? Now I'm not going to rant on this one, but this is one of those questions that makes me go "are you serious!?!?" How does a 400W HPS differ from a 1000W HPS, is the same question. How does a standard BS 1000W HPS bulb from Home Depot differ from a high end one like Hortilux? Just because we changed bulbs here, doesn't mean the tech is THAT much different. So if you can understand how a 145,000 lumen 1000W yields more than a 55,000 lumen 400W, then you can understand how 7500 lumens of targeted LED light, will yield more than 5,000 lumens of targeted light (the difference between our 63W and 126W). So an increase in lumens does not result in more colors that are not relevant to plant production, when we are talking about the specific wavelengths of light that plants use best. If we were talking about adding an extra 1000 lumens of 612nm orange, then sure, you'd get almost ZERO return out of the extra lumens. But we are talking specifically about 440nm, 470nm, 640nm, and 660nm...

My engineers finished up the PAR ratings (micromoles) last night, however they did not do it to my specifications, they simply did it how everyone else rates their lights (at 4' plus!). So they are currently re-doing the tests on all of our units, at 6", 12" and 18" respectively. It may take another day or two before I have the information.

Tropical Rain

Haze, Kush & Grey Goose
Veteran
Lumens are a measurement of light corresponding to how bright that light is to our eyes. It is only able to be disregarded, if we are not talking about the exact spectra at which plants absorb light most efficiently. While lumens are not the best measurement for plant light, you can assume that if the light is brighter to us, it's also brighter to them.

Would it make any sense to measure the respective comparable HID at those same distances too?

The 126w is comparable to a 400w HPS or MH ?
What is it's footprint?

LEDGirl

Veteran
Would it make any sense to measure the respective comparable HID at those same distances too?

Sure, if you have one. I don't personally, and the company in China I do business with doesn't make HID's...

The 126w is comparable to a 400w HPS or MH ?
What is it's footprint?

Either, considering a 400W MH has more PAR watts than a 400W HPS. Our light has more PAR watts than either of them, but it doesn't have as high of intensity. Perhaps with the 30 degree you would be getting close, but the footprint would be smaller yet. Our current footprint is 2' x 3' with the 126W, but it was not designed to compete with HID on footprint, solely yield. If I had 400W LED, sure I could match a 400W HID's footprint lol, but LED's aren't magic unfortunately, which is why 126W does not cover the same area as 400W.

Moppel

Grower for Life
Veteran
Ledgirl, why dont you have a thread up here with pics etc?

and btw , i can link you to an awesome Plasma light grow.

LEDGirl

Veteran
Ledgirl, why dont you have a thread up here with pics etc?

and btw , i can link you to an awesome Plasma light grow.

I'll be posting my grow journal up shortly. I've been very busy lately, and I've been working hard to get more plants ready for my next bloom cycle. Look for a new thread in about 4 or 5 days ;) My plants are MONSTERS.

FreedomFGHTR

Veteran
LEDGirl said:
They are shipped direct from China, so yes, they come from my MFR.
?

If you were reselling an American made and built product then I'd buy now, but given the economic war waged against the US by China and the internal influences also that have made life hard I have to balk, origin of the product matters.

Really though I'll keep tabs on this forum!, and maybe in the future you might be able to find a domestic producer, or build a factory with a team! (hint hire Electrical Enginer, and a machinist)

LEDGirl

Veteran
If you were reselling an American made and built product given the economic war waged against the US by China and the internal influences also that have made life hard.

Blaming China for our economy, is just passing the buck. Besides, half the USA-Made LED Grow lights give you less of a warranty, while costing up to double what ours do, watt for watt. We use US-Made LED's, so that's good enough for me.

Really though I'll keep tabs on this forum!, and maybe in the future you might be able to find a domestic producer, or build a factory with a team! (hint hire Electrical Enginer, and a machinist)

Maybe in a year or two as our business expands to greater levels, we will open a production facility in the US, but as of now we have no intentions on doing so. I think it would take me being approached by the right people (IE someone who owned a mold or metal fabrication business, etc...) before it would ever happen though.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
A USA manu of ANYTHING will odds are double the cost retail wise, reason why our economy SUCKS and our dollar is dropping, china owns us.... either deal with it OR be happy to pay $1k for something produced here that costs $400 made in china.

sad I know... and do agree...

I have a thought,

many get caught up with the, this led is comparable to this sized hps. What if instead of that there was a benchmark like what has been set for cfl's, cmh, hps, mh lights and go for this.

126's can yield XXX grams
3XX's can yield XXX grams

and skip the comparisons.

What has been set for 600's for instance yielding an elbow is great for many and many TRY to get there and others can do it no problem. 400's some can get over a pound (I fucking wish I could) and others pull a couple zips at most to save their life. It is grower dependant BUT like seeds where sq meter average yields are set why not just do that with leds.

Instead of pushing the leds are better than this hps yield wise why not put it in its own class. Allow hps growers to try and compete against lesser wattage and THEN they will either realize they suck as growers OR maybe leds do work.

Saying an led can beat or meet a 1k hps is just asking for complaints, and random assholes crying about scam this and that. Remove that comparison and go instead on yields alone.

Our 126's average 8 zips a light, some get less and there MIGHT be others who can hit more. Leave it at that and let the results speak for you versus the diehard hps people jumping down leds and for that matter cfl growers throats.

FreedomFGHTR

Veteran
Blaming China for our economy, is just passing the buck. Besides, half the USA-Made LED Grow lights give you less of a warranty, while costing up to double what ours do, watt for watt. We use US-Made LED's, so that's good enough for me.
China is enjoying an employment boom because all of the factories that were in the US that used to supply Americans with goods have been sent to China because china specifically has the least amount of business regulations. I can blame them. They are one part of the problem... but this isn't a political thread...

Cool it is nice to see that you use an American sourced part!

I would like to see these comparisons that have been with other brands. As someone who pays a lot of money for indoor grows I'm always looking at tech to lower the bills. Really it would be nice to see which companies do the best as right now I am leaning on leds from haight st.. not trying to ad or anything but so far they are in the lead for when I pull the trigger. If you got hard numbers and data to prove you are better then you will have me sold.

Maybe in a year or two as our business expands to greater levels, we will open a production facility in the US, but as of now we have no intentions on doing so. I think it would take me being approached by the right people (IE someone who owned a mold or metal fabrication business, etc...) before it would ever happen though.

Why not approach them, there are lots of stuggling people out there with their ears wide open waiting for good ideas from smart enterprising people like you! Seriously you do have me interested in your product.

sx646522

If you were reselling an American made and built product then I'd buy now, but given the economic war waged against the US by China and the internal influences also that have made life hard I have to balk, origin of the product matters.<br

You've apparently never run a business, I take it. FYI: the LEDs themselves as well as many components are FROM THE USA, they're simply assembled in China. We now live in a global economy, and any manufacturer I know has had to adjust if they want to stay in business. I used to work for a Fortune 500 MNC, and over the course of less than five years saw production moved first from the US, then to Mexico, and finally to Asia. Yes, even Mexico became too expensive for us to manufacture in, and after three years there, we closed up manufacturing operations there and relocated overseas. It's either that, or see yourself go out of business - because your competitors certainly will, even if you won't.

High Quality LEDs are not cheap. Neither are the emitters, heatsinks, and the like (i.e. the parts that actually matter) - unless you start skimping on them, which significantly affects product life. You still have to cut costs somewhere, and that means labor and assembly. And right now, that means China.

A number of Hondas are assembled in the USA, but many of the parts come from overseas. And the American Hondas have been plagued with quality problems, also. Are people going to stop buying Hondas from abroad and only buy from the US? Or just buy a crappy American car? Ridiculous. Consumerism always follows the market, and rewards quality.
-------------------

Latest posts

Latest posts