What's new

I'm buying an LCD television, any advice?

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I realize that even if you're happy with the set you've had for six months it might already be obsolete with newer models/technology coming out monthly in this market.

I'm looking to buy:

TV name brands only, no Polaroid, Westinghouse, etc.......
42-47" screen size.
1080p for sure
120Hz, but will probably have to settle for 60Hz
Highest possible Contrast Ratio
S-Video inputs or VGA capability (to use as a computer monitor)

That being said do any of you have any practicle experience, advice, or knowledge about current LCD tech & the TV's being offered today?

G

HDMI input is the way to go if using as monitor. Best resolution that way. Those cables are expensive at box stores, check the internet.

Shop around after a big sporting event. Right after the SuperBowl was a great time to buy with all the returns marked down...

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
strainwhore said:
Shop around after a big sporting event. Right after the SuperBowl was a great time to buy with all the returns marked down...
I hear ya there but what big event is next? I'm starting to look right now (May being the prime month) because I understand that Sony & some of the big makers are going to drop prices because Vizio has taken ahold of first place in sales in the 2nd retail quarter here.

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
TV'S

TV'S

There was an off brand that came in second in the electronics show in Vegas last year, I ferget the name. Do a search on it. They said only one had a better picture than the one I'm talkin about, but it was crazy high priced. I got the impression this company was jus there ta give the big name companies a run fer their money, which they did! ( but much cheaper ) Yay fer us! Good luck, if ya find it post it if ya would. Take care...BC

G

most lcds screens are actually made by LG ,even the sony ,its the bravia engine that gives sony the egde ,,the samsung is 2nd best buy with a superb hd output

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I haven't checked on the Samsungs yet but have looked into the Sony & Toshibas (Regza's are nice & 120Hz too) to get the 120Hz or 'fast action' screen feature, tell ya the truth I probably don't need that but I understand that running 120Hz allows DVD's to play/show clearer. 120Hz also gives a HUGE 'contrast ratio' like up to 30,000:1 which gives brilliant imaging. Just the image improvement would be a huge plus for my eyes, but why not spend an extra $200-300 for a couple of nicer features when shopped right, I'm sure as shit not a top of the line kind of buyer these days but it seems that going from $1200 to $1500 gets me into some of those features.

1080p is a must, high contrast ratio is also a must for picture depth/clarity in the white & black ranges, it seems that all the newer sets have S video inputs now for computer hookups.......

imagine scoping out all those juicy bud & trichome pics from everyones gallery on a brilliant 47" LCD screen....... :joint:

G

the samsung series 6 on hd is awesome ,picture quality is superb

Tronic

Samsung actually makes teh majority of lcd panels, including the ones for sony and the brilliant cinema displays of apple.

definitely get a samsung lcd 1080p. 40" or bigger, you wont regret it. Even the 40 is magnificent. I've got one and its absolutely amazing. Plus, on the lcd, no glare!

hands down the best investment (in terms of price/use/happiness) that i've made in a long time (i.e. <$2000 for a daily stunner)

Any questions, just ask. im well versed in this subject

tngreen

Veteran
Samsung, LG, or Sharp are the only way to go for bigger brands. All three of those have the best clarity and contrast to me. My parents have a Vizio 32" in their bedroom that is a great TV for the price, around $600 i think.

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
Vizio

Vizio

I think Vizio was the name of that tv I was thinkin about. I'm purdy sure it got voted second best picture in the Vegas c.e.s. last year. Not sure about the bells an whistles. But, it never hurts ta check things out. Good luck Stoner. later, BC

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Just bought a 32-inch LCD for my bedroom a few months ago, and after lots of research this is the conclusion I came to:

Lowest price and decent quality - Vizio (although many are unhappy with their sound -- not a problem if you use a surround sound receiver)

Price is no object -- Sony (you won't be disappointed)

Mid-range price, best bang for the buck -- Toshiba Regza (which is what I ended up with and am very happy)

If the size is around 32 inches or larger, be sure to get 1080, NOT 720.

And the best judge is you eyes -- decide on your top 2 or 3 models and see them for yourself. Compare them side by side if possible.

Once you get it home, be sure to calibrate it properly or you will be disappointed no matter what you get. Any HDTV forum will have settings for just about any model you might get that will serve as a good starting point.

Oh, I have a Samsung 56-inch DLP in my living room. If you have the space, a rear projection TV will be far better than an LCD, IMO. My DLP blows away any LCD I've seen.

Last edited:
W

Wunderkind

you can get a 1080p from a company like Haier or Vizio for about $1000. But the question is, do you want a $1000 1080p? Can't be too great if it's so cheap.

Last edited:

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
I have a Samsung 46 lcd, awesome set i love it

Had lg plasma b4 nothing but issues

G

I bought an off brand 42" LCD in January cause I figured might as well get something halfways decent for cheap now rather than buy something expensive now that's gonna be cheap later.

42" LCD
1080p
2 HDMI
S-video
Component
Composite video
15 pin VGA
1920x1080
$800

- Not bad for the price, the way I look at it in a year or two todays higher end models will probably be had for the same price.I got no shortage of places to spend the other grand or two.

trouble

Veteran
hazyfontazy said:
samsung or sony the way to go

S4L, I agree with hazyfontazy, I have very limited knowledge of electronics, however, I had a Sony 46" for almost 2 years and I really liked it, I gave it one of my sons when he was home from college over the holidays. I went to buy a new Sony in Febuary and ended-up purchasing a Samsung 52" which was on sale at best buy for like $1300 off the regular price. I would recommend both to anyone.

........................................................................................................

Last edited:

Echoes

I bought a 26" Vizio for my bedroom and I'm pretty satisfied. Picture is great and it has some pretty decent customization options for display (color temperature, etc.) 2 HDMI ports, RGB, Red/Yellow/White, Component (Purple, Green, etc.) Works for me. Got it for around $425 I believe. Haven't had a problem yet. Only thing I don't like is I think it only does 1080i but shit, it still looks very good. I doubt I could tell the difference between 1080i/p anyway.

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I worked at a place that bought returns from local electronic stores and here is a few tips the testers gave me when I picked out my 40" Sony Bravia.

1. Take sometype of animation dvd with you to the store and make them hook up a dvd player. Reason is with the animation you get the truest colors and with the changing colors you see just how well the tv can handle the color changes. It has a refresh rate....

2. Look behind the tv it should have a production month and year.

3. Check out where the HDMI plug connects. You don't want one plugs in horizontal because it puts uneeded weight on the plug fromt eh cord. Get one tha plugs in vertically.

4. Even though you said LCD if you ever hear of anyone buying a DLP beware the lamps go out a lot. $400 for a new lamp.

S_a_H

Last edited:
i bought an older model sony bravia a year and half ago to two years or something its 1080i was a really good T.V wen i bought it but now it has these vague horizontal lines that slowly move up vertically over n over . but i still got in store warranty so ima take it back and get an upgrade def 1080p 120 hz

Latest posts

Latest posts