What's new

Illinois NORML

NORML_Illinois

Not enough money getting passed under the table to get anything realistic passed.

Yes Kosmo, sometimes it often seems this way. Our elected officials are, by and large, serving the people first, and often respond to the voters will.

We are also under the impression that some Senators and Representatives have misgivings and simply different perspectives than we. Their hesitation is taken with respect and open-minds. We wish to educate not only them, but their constituents.

Thank you for stopping by.

KosmoKramer

Serving their wallets first, special interests second, the people last.

At least with Daley going we don't have to worry about the rest of the state getting sold off.

Get a bunch of envelopes stuffed with cash ready. Have enough and you can get any bill passed you wish!

:laughing:

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Not flaming your thread homeboy, trying to see if your words mean anything. You asked me for constructive comment, I pointed out several ongoing issues with your web site, hoping you would have them fixed.

If you go to a web site, and the links go nowhere, what do you think of that site and organization? And if you check back in a season, and the same stuff has not been fixed, what do you think then?

I am hoping you will take these problems, get them fixed, and get into the game as a competant entity. As growers, we are a results based culture.

H

ballplayer 2

I dont believe Haps was flaming at all to be honest. I happen to agree with him about the website. I visited it last year to find out as much info as I could about meetings, rallies, etc. I was taken aback a bit by the lack of updated info on the website. No ill intent whatsoever meant by that statement, just my first impression of the site, which is of course very important. The site need not be flashy with ridiculous graphics and such, but it should be up to date.

I would love to make it to movie night, but its a bit more of a drive than I can fit into my schedule right now.

So we cannot go and get signatures to get bills on the ballot as has been done in other states? Why not? How can we change that? I would be good for close to a hundred signatures if you give me a couple of weeks, that would not be going door-to-door. I would collect from family and friends first.

So we cannot go and get signatures to get bills on the ballot as has been done in other states? Why not? How can we change that? I would be good for close to a hundred signatures if you give me a couple of weeks, that would not be going door-to-door. I would collect from family and friends first.

I'm with you there...

Tried looking up the voter initiative process in IL and got a bit sidetracked... Not sure on the process yet, but I'm good for a few john hancocks as well... :tiphat:

I'd love to hear more on why our initiative process is so f'ed....

ILL

Good luck to you, neighbor. If we can partner to be stronger please let me know your ideas.

If you want a free booth at the 41st Great Midwest Marijuana Harvest Fest, I can help you out. We get a lot of people from Illinois and would love to see more!

NORML_Illinois

Hey everyone, there is a meeting tonight, 1000 N. Milwaukee in Chicago. The place is called Multi-Kulti, they've got all kinds of cool art, and there's usually a drum circle after the meeting, so bring your conga, djembe, or bongo for some after meeting group music. Meetup.com link here

Meanwhile, I just read a few things, including the World Health Organization's (WHO) (PDF) report on alcohol abuse and the serious health problems. They report that alcohol abuse is the one of the leading causes of youth death, with over 300,000 young folks dying a year due to over-drinking. They also report that over FOUR PERCENT OF ALL DEATHS WORLDWIDE can be attributed to excess alcohol consumption. This is deaths! Let alone the number of people who are afflicted with serious illness due to abuse of the substance.

I don't normally like to play sides in this 'substance fight' as I believe that many alcohol consumers use it responsibly and take it as an insult and reason to not support and even shun/persecute us, but this number should be a sign to people not only of the hypocrisy that runs rampant, but also the fact that many people inadvertently and inappropriately draw the same conclusions when comparing the two. They are drugs that make you silly, belligerent, and cause serious health concerns.

I sure hope SAFER uses this to their advantage, as I'm sure that we and every other organization will.

Be safe, I will stop by tomorrow or Friday with an update on the meeting, including what our movie will be for this month.

NORML_Illinois

Good luck to you, neighbor. If we can partner to be stronger please let me know your ideas.

If you want a free booth at the 41st Great Midwest Marijuana Harvest Fest, I can help you out. We get a lot of people from Illinois and would love to see more!

We surely will take you up on that offer, I love going up to Madison for the Fest. We hope to start our own fest here in Illinois, at the state capitol. We are looking for a few folks in the Springfield area that can help us with getting the word out, and getting us exposed at the UofI campus there.

I will be in touch via PM or Email! Thank you!

NORML_Illinois

Hey all, Illinois has quite a few cannabis bills this year.

HB 30
: Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act, the shell bill to this act is HB 29

SB 1548
: This is the Senate version of the same bill.

SB 56
: And this is not a cannabis bill, but it does involve drug law reform. It is the drug overdose immunity bill.

More news to surely follow!

We are also having movie this week, tomorrow, Thursday (02.23.2011). 1000 N Milwaukee, Chicago. Hope to see a bunch of new faces!: CANCELED

the%20hemp%20solution%20dvd.jpg

Last edited:

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
they were supposed to have a reading on hb30 today anyone know the results? i meant to watch it on their website but i forgot.

NORML_Illinois

Hi everybody, apologies for the extended absence. As I'm sure many of you know, there are quite a few bills in the Illinois congress right now, and we need to let our friends, family, and legislators know how important these measures are by speaking asking them to call their representatives in the state congress, or by voting for all of the bills that are up. We will have more detailed info for everybody next Wednesday, April 6th at our Bi-monthly meeting at Multi-Kulti in Chicago, 1000 N Milwaukee, 4th Floor. There is elevator access for anybody.

We had a lobby day yesterday, and there are two more scheduled lobby days at this time although we may add more towards the end of May. For now the days we have for lobbying are Wednesday April 13 and Friday May 27.

The Capitol Building is located at the corner of Monroe and Second Streets in Springfield, which is located close to the Amtrak Station for those who would like to take the train. Supporters will be urging lawmakers to pass bills on medical cannabis (House Bill 30 and Senate Bill 1548), a cannabis decriminalization bill (House Bill 100) and an industrial hemp farming bill (House Bill 1383). We will also be raising awareness to the harms caused by cannabis prohibition by discussing the issue with lawmakers and educating them on why they should support changing our cannabis laws.

By calling 217-782-2000 the Capitol directory operators will be able to connect you to your legislators’ offices. The specific phone numbers and contact info for all general assembly members can be found at http://www.ilga.gov.

We hope everyone is looking forward to a productive spring and summer here!

Latest posts

Latest posts