What's new

IGrow: Walmart of Weed Opens in Oakland

JQP

Cool!

Cool!

Man o man, I live on the wrong side of the country. Wouldn't I love to be able to just visit Oakland, let alone moving there. Sheeeesh!

JQ

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
oakland's just for show...

i guess they need something to brag about though

besides the murder rate

Norrath

oh yes, because he's setting it up as a medicinal marijuana store...

so to purchase from his store, must one flash their prerequisite of a mmj card?

perhaps just a BIG hydro shop in other words... and knowing 90% of his business is going to be illegal, good business to be in with that much cash flying around. hell, tis why there are so many hydro shops in BC, to cater.

Finepointcanon

Veteran
Idk, I like my local grow shop, partially because it's run by a good guy and I don't mind giving him my money.

I guess if I was in a position where I needed to wipe out the stock of a local place every month or so this would be a good thing, but the "Wal Mart of Weed" sounds like the opposite of a good thing.

gimme shelter

Not a Super Store

Not a Super Store

I went in to the Super Store, and I am struggling as to why it's called a Super Store. It is a large building with a nice parking lot. However, once inside there are only products in maybe a couple of thousand Sq FT, with a lot of empty space and racks. They had one type of amended potting soil, one type of Sunshine mix. These people do not have the diversity of products that I find in the three other Hydro Shops that I frequent. To me they do not qualify as even an average grow shop. To answer a question asked. No they do not require a Prop 215 Card to make a purchase. Overall I would recommend any one of several shops in the Bay Area, above this Super Store. Peace

OC80

jahzebel
1/27/2010 11:29:00 PM

"I like potheads. Although I am not one, I appreciate that tens of thousands of people willingly smoke themselves into an apathetic and underachieving stupor, allowing my mediocre self to far surpass them in this struggle that is life. Times are tough and the economy and job market is getting tougher and I certainly don't need any more competition.

Drink 5 beers a day and they call you an alcoholic. But 5 blunts a day? LOL That's okay, cause its *herbal* ho ho heee heee ha ha Frank Zappa was darn right in that you can probably trace all the cultivation and drug stuff somewhere back to the government -"

Thumbs downed that bitch, lol.

reckon

I agree with gimme_shelter up there,.......

over priced, understocked, over hyped,.....I see no reason to shop there, it was a HUGE warehouse with about a 450 sq/ft's shops worth of stuff,.....just lots of open space.

I'm supporting my local grow shops, they always are willing to drop a price to meet or beat a competitor, ALWAYS willing to special order something or other, and all of the guys and gals that work there grow themselves, and I don't mean tomatoes and basil, they donate a portion of their profits to the ASA.

not worth the trip up there, and I'm only 25 miles away.

I live just a hop skip away from this, I'm about to leave my place and check it, I've heard nothing but bad things from others that have been already however. All I want is some damn Ushio bulbs, not a damn store in the entire bay area sells them I swear

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
I live just a hop skip away from this, I'm about to leave my place and check it, I've heard nothing but bad things from others that have been already however. All I want is some damn Ushio bulbs, not a damn store in the entire bay area sells them I swear

growers choice has them.......

I'm not in the Bay, but I get 20% off my total bill each time at the hydro store I frequent. I wonder if this new spot can match that.

That place blows, they've been open for what two days, went by and they were closed to "restock", I've never heard of walmart having to close because they ran out of inventory, oh well got everything I need for probably cheaper another place

GanjaPharma

My local guy (PNW location) has 20k square feet EASY! and its FULL! I have NEVER looked for something he didnt have (he even has Mogwai, but you says you shouldnt feed them during 12/12 or ever get them wet)
not sure he wants to make the news though.

ChronJohn

this is an interesting place to say the least. I have always envisioned starting a company that helps people build and maintain grow rooms, it'll be interesting to see the success these cats have with that. The only thing I couldn't get over when going through my business plan was, who is going to give up the location of their grow to a total stranger? And what's to the keep technicians from snipping a few buds off for themselves and turning that 1.2 gpw harvest into .9gpw? I would be wary of using that service. Hopefully when bud's legal, it won't be worth enough for people to fuck with your grow. The selection at this place might blow, but I'm sure it will get more and more stocked as the days and weeks go on. And the best way to make the store better is to point them in the direction of stuff you'd like to see sold.

"they might only use half of their harvest and be able to sell the remaining 3 pounds for $12,000 to a dispensary"

A dispensary buying bud for $4k a bow? I was always under the impression that they jew you and call $2.5k-$3k a lb tops?

burnedout

this is an interesting place to say the least. I have always envisioned starting a company that helps people build and maintain grow rooms, it'll be interesting to see the success these cats have with that. The only thing I couldn't get over when going through my business plan was, who is going to give up the location of their grow to a total stranger? And what's to the keep technicians from snipping a few buds off for themselves and turning that 1.2 gpw harvest into .9gpw? I would be wary of using that service.

Those types of businesses do exist, but they get most of their customers from referrals. So if you do good work and are trustworthy you get more work. Most room builders aren't around to snip buds when the time comes, they usually just build the room. But, if for some reason you wanted to offer an all encompassing service like that, then again, your reputation is what would keep you from stealing customers product.

Hopefully when bud's legal, it won't be worth enough for people to fuck with your grow. The selection at this place might blow, but I'm sure it will get more and more stocked as the days and weeks go on. And the best way to make the store better is to point them in the direction of stuff you'd like to see sold.

Maybe... I would think if you're going to market yourself as the Walmart of weed you would make sure you were properly stocked and setup before opening your doors. Nothing like getting peoples hopes up and then being a huge disappointment. Not a very good business decision if that's their plan.

"they might only use half of their harvest and be able to sell the remaining 3 pounds for $12,000 to a dispensary"

A dispensary buying bud for $4k a bow? I was always under the impression that they jew you and call $2.5k-$3k a lb tops?

The guy is in the business of selling grow supplies. He's going to say everything he can to try and get people interested in growing.

Latest posts

Latest posts