What's new

ignorant politicians piss me off!

armedoldhippy

Veteran
the OK state GOP chairman (John Bennett) wants to delete an Indian Reservation in that state, despite not one but two court decisions (including at the US Supreme Court) affirming the legal validity of their tribal claims to the land & sovereign identity. i can understand why he is up in arms, because there is apparently a gap of responsibility RE prosecuting non-Indians who commit crimes against Indians on tribal lands. but trying to do away with the reservation looks like just another (ho-hum) abrogation of the treaties that the US govt signed onto. "oh, you have mice? let's burn your house down, that will fix the problem..."

Gry

Veteran
Our native American population has served more than admirably in each conflict. Have long been disgusted at the double standards we
use in our dealings with them.
Not pleased with how the US deals with First Americans, any more than with how Israel deals with the Palestinian population, or
China deals with it's Uyghurs population. In a nutshell, indigenous peoples the world over have been given a raw deal repeatedly.
If we reflect back to WWII, a lot of obligations were made at the onset of the conflict that were not delivered at the end of the conflict.
Hell we did not even fulfil the obligations made to our closest of allies, let alone to the numerous peoples who did in good faith sign on
and gave their best.

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
This brings up a very thorny issue which I am personally trying to wrap my head around. The treatment of indigenous populations is not just a US issue. Look around the world . . . Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Brazil etc etc . . . The colonies of the past 500 years are now all populated and controlled by the colonists (we like to call them pioneers). They claimed the ‘virgin’ land around the world and decimated, subjugated and contained the indigenous local population. Hey, that’s life and history teaches you that overall, life really sucked before our time. Anyway, hundreds of years later, here we all sit on ‘our’ land. Our farm. Our house. Ours. We bought it. We own it. Right? Yeah, you see where this is going. But that’s only part of my point.

Now that you are feeling a little defensive, let’s look at the Middle East (we are on the same wavelength @Gry - I wrote this without seeing your addition). Who owns what there? Some lines were drawn on a map at the end of the Ottoman era – by colonial powers - that ignored all historical tribal considerations and decided the fate of millions. The ‘countries’ were all territorial boundaries created by the colonial powers for the usual colonial reasons. And the leaders of these countries were the one compliant tribe that crushed the opposition (the other tribes) and rose by brute strength to lead. And then there is Israel. The homeland of the Jewish race. Historically, they did actually own it for a while but then the Romans did what Romans did. After that, it and the bulk of the Middle East – the part that wasn’t sand - was just goat herders and olive groves sprinkled with some still-medievel-in-th-20th-century towns and cities. You can dive into the history but in 1949, it all changed. An indigenous tribe came back and claimed the property – the country – that they were kicked out of 2000 years before. And we all applauded. And they went through a lot of shit and we armed them and supported them and we continued to applaud. Despite all of the shit they do, we still continue to support them unquestionably. And I am not saying we are wrong either. They DO have a right to exist. But . . . so do the other guys.

Anyways, you get my drift? We would fight to the death to defend what is ours. Even if technically it isn’t. But possession is 9/10s of the law and history is on my side so those indigenous bastards can fuck off right? When you apply this around the world, it gets . . . interesting.

Btw . . . I have no answer.

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ignorant District Attorneys piss the common folk off.

The news media is entertainment at it's finest...hahahaha

Latest posts

Latest posts