What's new

if you had to go with cheap a.c.

G

Guest 18340

They are as good as any other cheap mini split...
Most cheap mini splits are fairly reliable, the main problem is finding parts for them.
Make sure they are wired correctly upon install as it's the electronics in the cheap units that are not of the best quality. The compressor is usually the least likely component to fail on them, thats why they have 5 yr warranties on the compressor, but only 1 yr on parts.
(For comparison) Mitsubishi is 7 yrs compressor, 5 yrs parts.

Last edited:

haze4me

evlme2 i noticed the warranty and you are correct but this one happens to have a 2 yr parts and 5 yr compressor. i havent checked this one yet but have heard ya have to be careful that alot of places void the warranty if ya buy the unit online and not at a dealer?

G

Guest 18340

evlme2 i noticed the warranty and you are correct but this one happens to have a 2 yr parts and 5 yr compressor. i havent checked this one yet but have heard ya have to be careful that alot of places void the warranty if ya buy the unit online and not at a dealer?

I know that Fujitsu will not honor the warranty on units bought online, I don't know about other brands. But no brand will honor a warranty if it wasn't installed by a licensed tech.
2 yrs parts is better than 1 yr...
If you're only going to use the unit(s) long enough to get up the $$$ for a better brand then you'll be fine.
In all likelihood it will last you quiet awhile. Mind you, I'm overly paranoid about cheap units 'cause I got stung by one and lost THOUSANDS worth of flowering plants.
If you don't mind, let me know how it goes after you get it installed and running. It would be nice to make a list of decent cheap units as reference for other growers who want to step up to a mini split.
Before you pull the trigger check out ajmadison.com, they usually have good deals on name brand units.
*EDIT*
Where ever you get the line set from, have the tech cut off the flared ends and re-flare them. Even when I bought my Mitsu, the flares on the line set that came with it were not perfect. The flare is the #1 trouble spot for freon (R410a) leaks. Trust me bro, re-flare the line set!
Also, make sure you get the correct length line set. The compressor comes precharged for a certain length line set, usually 25'. Too short a line set and the system will act as if it's over charged, too long and it will not cool properly because it will act like it's under charged.

Last edited:

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
OP you said you're gonna run 2 flowering and one veg room @ 4x600 Watts minimum in each room boiling down to 7,200 Watts for the lights alone.
A 24K BTU AC will burn through another 3KW then you gotta add fans, 2 dehumidifiers etc.

I don't know
(nor care) where you live but are you aware of going to have a monthly $700 (the very least!) electricity bill for the next few months 'till your 1st harvest?

Just wondering.

On another note, and this as well is a serious question: Have you grown
(indoor) before?

Last edited:

haze4me

evleme2--- Thanks for the heads up! That site had pretty good prices just not quite as good as the site i found but damn close. Good call on the flared fittings. I do have buddies that do a.c work but I'm scared to have them help me install, because the size of the unit in the place it is going is a little to large. Might look suspicious. So I'm not sure what to do. Maybe I can borrow a vacuum and flaring tool to do the install myself. Not sure what to do there yet, gotta think about it.

strain hunter--- Yes I have grown indoors before. Yes 2 flower rooms 2400 watts each. The veg room will have t5 so not 2400 watts there. I was a lil worried how much the light bill would be. I will be using digital ballast so they might be a lil cheaper than the older style. I wont be living there planned on killing hot water heater etc to help cut back on electric. I am hoping its a bit less than 700 i was hoping under 500.

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran

I am hoping its a bit less than 700 i was hoping under 500.

That's one of the easiest things to calculate:

Total kw/h's per month x 11 cents = bill

Unless you live in some areas of the US where it's a LOT more per kw/h but I doubt you do because there you wouldn't have to hide your grow. ;)

haze4me

strain hunter according to that i will use around 200 a month just for flowering rooms. maybe 10 plus bucks a month for veg. plus fans etc. so now the a.c. still has to be added plus misc. so ill probably still be under 500 maybe?

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
strain hunter according to that i will use around 200 a month just for flowering rooms. maybe 10 plus bucks a month for veg. plus fans etc. so now the a.c. still has to be added plus misc. so ill probably still be under 500 maybe?

I can't answer that question for you...just ring up how many hours you are running what and how much they use, rest as below.

Average cost for electric in the US is 12 cents per kw/h

wattage x hours used ÷ 1000 x price per kWh= cost of electricity