What's new

If you could go to any country to acquire breeding genes from landrace...

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
where would it be? Particularly if the search was for something fruity and being even more particular orange...I am guessing the last particular is near impossible to answer, but I have to ask because I do not know.

Without the fruitiness or orange taken into account, the country I would like to see landrace seeds from is Vietnam. Just because of the historicity, and because they can literally be found nowhere, nowadays.

Second would be Ethiopia - African Seeds Company and Average Seeds Company had the Ethiopian Highland.

Also, I'm sure there are a lot interesting phenos West Africa, South and Central America, etc, but there are a lot of South AMerican phenos available at Cannabiogen/Ace Seeds already. However if you are looking for anything fruity or orangy, that would be a place to look.

idiit

Veteran
Originally Posted by 40AmpstoFreedom View Post
where would it be? Particularly if the search was for something fruity and being even more particular orange...I am guessing the last particular is near impossible to answer, but I have to ask because I do not know.

^^ my nanan bouclou2 ( haitian/png) has the orange fruity on top and "old school kinda like colombo but different"underneath. the haitian dom nb1has the smooth fruit down very nicely.

both nb1 and nb2 are excellent smokes imo.

indonesia including papua new guinea (borders indonesia) and africa offer very nice psychoactive, powerful strains.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Afghanistan and Nepal.
There are lots of Afghani and Nepalese landrace genetics everywhere.

Sensi Seeds - Afghani #1 - at the basis of nearly every hybrid strain since the 1980s.

World Of Seeds - Pakistan Valley, Ketama (Morocco)

Gibridov - Moroccan Sativa (I have a few sprouted right now - where it's legal to do so, of course)

The Real Seeds Company - lots of Nepalese genetics - Nepalese, Malana Cream, Garhwali Jungli, Nanda Devi, Kumaoni. They used to sell Mazar-I-Sharif.

Billy Goat Seeds - X18

Ace Seeds - Pakistan Chitral Kush

The reason there are so many indicas around, is because they flower faster and stay shorter than say a tropical sativa. They're just easier to grow.

S

sourpuss

Alaska....

When the heck did pot become legal recreationally in alaska? Why the f didnt I know this till recently.

Blows my mind, how brainwashed and ridiculous our laws r.

I feel that any where pot is legal recreationally for a long time will have some real ancient strains. Cloned for decades. Thats where I would start since im canadian.

L

Luther Burbank

Tanzania - We have a very incomplete representation of c. indica ssp. afghanica. Skunk #1 dates from thirty years ago. There are a couple options such as the Lapis Mountain Indica and I believe a Kandahari landrace but the situation since '79 has made Afghan varieties very hard to source and the geography from which we source them limited. The prevalence of Skunk#1 accounts for most of the heritage.

X18 is a Pakistani variety, and as far as I know has always been Tom Hill's work. I never knew Billy Goat to have anything to do with her.

The geography of Afghanistan is such that miles on a map are deceptive, and I believe it likely that genetically isolated varieties we have not seen commercially in the west are still grown in unacessable parts such as the Hazararat. I don't know what Moroccan genetics has to offer in regards to Afghan varieties. Cultivation there is a relatively modern phenomenon and likely a result of intermixing between narrow leaf drug varieties in the Levant and narrow leaf hemp varieties in Europe. Despite our misuse of "indica" and "satica", C. indica ssp. Afghanica represents a genetically isolated subspecies and shares no links with mediterranean drug varieties.

As for Nepal, I'd just love to see the situation on the ground myself. It's nothing to do with purchasing seeds, hust a desire to see a beautiful place.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
" I don't know what Moroccan genetics has to offer in regards to Afghan varieties. Cultivation there is a relatively modern phenomenon and likely a result of intermixing between narrow leaf drug varieties in the Levant and narrow leaf hemp varieties in Europe. "

Most people have been indoctrinated with a blind spot for the African continent.

Cannabis has been around since at least the Ancient Egyptians, which means it was around during the Bantu Expansion which allegedly started around 1000 BC. (Egypt's last great pharaoh Ramses III has the haplogroup usually associated with the Bantu Expansion, E1b1a. He ruled at about the same time as the Bantu Expansion started.) 1 2.

Cannabis use in Ancient Egypt has been document at least the 16th Century BC. 3, which means it was probably in use much earlier.

At the same time, as seeds usually travel with the weed, it is possible that there has been a continuous re-introduction of cannabis in Africa. Think of all the muslim pilgrims traveling for the hajj from West Africa to Saudi Arabia and back (and everywhere in between, as well as from India, Indonesia to Saudi Arabia), for many centuries. Or the Swahili traders on the east coast of Africa, traveling back and forth around the Indian Ocean. Or take into account that most of today's population of Madagascar sailed there from Borneo, many centuries ago. Or the wide ranging trade networks that grew into trading empires within Africa - Kongo, Maravi, Great Zimbabwe, Ife, etc.

In fact there is no such thing as true isolation in Africa, if you take the last centuries and millennia into account. If you take a multi-millennial view, there is no such thing as 'Sub-Saharan Africa'. From about 7500 to 3500 BC, the Sahara was as humid as the Serengiti - see the rock paintings at Tassili Najjer, in what is now the middle of the Sahara desert.

What weed did the Egyptians smoke? By the way, The Real Seed Company has Sinai.

The geography of Afghanistan is such that miles on a map are deceptive, and I believe it likely that genetically isolated varieties we have not seen commercially in the west are still grown in unacessable parts such as the Hazararat.

L

Luther Burbank

I'm sorry Tanzania, but I'm rather well read the on the topic, and I have to say you're talking out of your ass. It's so far off from what real world evidence indicates that I'm not going to try to dismantle your points. The impression I'm getting is you've allowed the romantic fog of stoned theorizing get in the way of actual facts.

Last edited: