What's new

Identifying Female Seeds

Hempy McNoodle

Naysayers: Why would you not want to learn how to identify the seeds gender?? If this works out, I would see it as the most significant discovery in Cannabis cultivation since light-cycle flowering was discovered.

audiohi

Veteran
Throw your seeds in a hot tub.

The females will eventually come to rest in the middle of the water because of CO2.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Naysayers: Why would you not want to learn how to identify the seeds gender?? If this works out, I would see it as the most significant discovery in Cannabis cultivation since light-cycle flowering was discovered.

It's not possible to do that. The size has more to do with genotype. The shape is redundant.

Hempy McNoodle

Well, the results are in and I am very happy to say that I successfully Identified the genders of all but one seed. The one seed that I misgendered was marked with an X but ended up being a true female. All plants marked with an 'O' ended up being female just as I suspected they would. Of those females, only one developed male flowers (hermaphrodite). So, it looks like the experiment was a massive success!

I have now answered the question; "Can you get true females from seeds which were fathered by a hermaphroditic male?" Yes, most definitely!

Can you identify and select just those true female seeds for planting just from examining the seed? Yes, absolutely!

DSC03201.JPG
DSC03218.JPG

Hempy McNoodle

Notice that both of the Colombian Golds marked with 'X' are runts. I believe there is a correlation between non-symmetrical detachment points and deformities. But, I'll know more as I continue learning and tracking this over the years to come.

Hempy McNoodle

How many males and how many females?

Out of 11 plants, I have 6 true females. I had 1 female hermie. I had 2 male hermies, and 2 severely stunted -sex unknown. Zero true males (as expected).

What I've read, is that you can get true females, but no true males, if pollinated with a hermie male. And, vice versa, if you pollinated a hermie female with a true male, you could get a true male, but no true females.

Hempy McNoodle

So, that's 100%+ for identifying the females (110%, I think). And, only one of them was a hermie. I'll continue growing them and monitoring them closely.

TheDarkStorm

How would you know 100% this early in the game. An can you be sure that the hermie trait isnt locked into those genetics just waiting for something to trigger them. Or that the condition isnt in the background an may come out when further doubling the condition or just using the material to breed. When a breeder stress tests for hermies they do that because the condition is unseen an triggered through stress. Meaning its locked up into the genetics. There is some indication that using hermie males will give a high percentage of seed with the outward appearance of a female but through stresss they reveal their actual just hermies or in the following generation the trait is revealed alot more clearly

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There's so much going on I can't pick where to start so im not.. Good luck Hempy :D.

Hempy McNoodle

How would you know 100% this early in the game. An can you be sure that the hermie trait isnt locked into those genetics just waiting for something to trigger them. Or that the condition isnt in the background an may come out when further doubling the condition or just using the material to breed. When a breeder stress tests for hermies they do that because the condition is unseen an triggered through stress. Meaning its locked up into the genetics. There is some indication that using hermie males will give a high percentage of seed with the outward appearance of a female but through stresss they reveal their actual just hermies or in the following generation the trait is revealed alot more clearly

So, far these are preliminary results. So, I will have to grow these out until harvest and then I will know for sure. But, this is how the parents were. One of the females does produce male flowers and female pollen flowers in the final weeks. That is just a natural feature of the line, I'd bet.

To answer your question about stress and hermies; No, I can't be sure. But, it is not in the scope of my experiments. I expect the females from the double acapulco gold pheno #1 to produce both male and female pollen flowers at the end of her life as her mom did, but those will not be relevant in this experiment unless they show up at an inconvenient time for harvesting (forcing an early harvest). The pollen flowers that the mom put out at week 15 may have been stress induced because the showed up a few days after reducing lighting to just 10 hrs a day.

It complicates the experiments to use hermie lines, as I am here, but the experiment will go on anyway because it still answers other questions that I've had about hermie males (two birds, one stone).

TheDarkStorm

So, far these are preliminary results. So, I will have to grow these out until harvest and then I will know for sure. But, this is how the parents were. One of the females does produce male flowers and female pollen flowers in the final weeks. That is just a natural feature of the line, I'd bet.

To answer your question about stress and hermies; No, I can't be sure. But, it is not in the scope of my experiments. I expect the females from the double acapulco gold pheno #1 to produce both male and female pollen flowers at the end of her life as her mom did, but those will not be relevant in this experiment unless they show up at an inconvenient time for harvesting (forcing an early harvest). The pollen flowers that the mom put out at week 15 may have been stress induced because the showed up a few days after reducing lighting to just 10 hrs a day.

It complicates the experiments to use hermie lines, as I am here, but the experiment will go on anyway because it still answers other questions that I've had about hermie males (two birds, one stone).

Good man....nothing wrong with learning an doing different things for yourself....

acespicoli

1659976181481.png

this was the method we used as discussed by Mel Frank in the bible ;)
But the seed method def saves space when it works, liked how you list the strains it worked for thx for the reminder
Id like to add that if you did achieve this its kinda a game changer because imagine, "sex linked seeds" so you can pick feminized or regular same pack no chemicals
Just pitch out bigger packs like 20-24 count you could grow for pollen or seed separately hmm interesting (id rather purchase non chem treated plant seed)
As you select ones that conform you also stabilize this in the line?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts