What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ideas for Site Selection.

Y

yamaha_1fan

Thanks SB, tons of great info in here. Justr eading this and driving down the road, I am breaking my neck looking at spots. I haave found quite a few spots right off the main road (in the country) where I seriously doubt anyone goes. I see some open spots behind the trees. The hard part would be stopping and getting to the spot. Unless I got dropped off but even that would be hard

In the next few days, I am going on a serious recon mission

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Google earth helps, can't always see specific holes in the woods but you get a much better understanding of an area if you examine it from the sky.

Its finding that mix of access and remoteness that is tough.

yea im with deft. i found many city plots with good access behind restaurants. there only 500x500 feet. but i beleive a few of these will be good for 10 to 20 low maintenance plants. lets hope atleast. my main concern is stoner bus boys getting a wiff over the food in the air. well see. Go Big Or Go Home.

Peace Slow

Deft

Veteran
I'm weary about planting near people. There are a lot of woods near my house but I don't feel comfortable growing outside unless theres no chance someone could see me there.. Plus you never know, some house nearby could be a pre-school and if you get busted mandatory minimums force harsh sentences.

True, Deft i could not agree with you more. but at times this act is almost inevitable. This year im going to be doing the inevitable. im going to do that in almost six locations i have picked out now. almost as a test for rippers. the other spots are pretty secure (im hoping). but i do not encourage planting by day cares or children for that matter. in some cases you just dont know though.

Peace, slow

G

Thank you Backcountry, It will take a while to catch up to your excellent posts. Your discussions on watering have been very helpful. We've always had plenty of rain but last year was a terrible drought and watering was a foriegn concept. Thanks to your discussions, Im better prepared this year.

Hey hey Deft. Excellent tip buddy. I left that out. The one place to grow that I avoid like the plaque are sites with a school within a mile. NO NO NO. Mandatory sentences just like you say. Zero Tolerace. If you want to be strung up on the court house lawn, thats the quickest way to do it. This is my first observation when i find a spot.

Hey slowster, Yamaha 1

Deft

Veteran
I was thinking about a spot that I thoguht was clear of school zones, then I realized that the pre-school that I went to had moved into a house not 600' away.

Ajunta Pall

Before you grow or for that matter, google your state police. A lot of times, my state is one of them, they will publish, on their web sites where they look and how often they find stuff. In my area the pigs look for shit by rail road tracks, roads (especailly the inter-state), utilities, etc. Also take into account that those places maybe mowed sometime during the summer.

:wave: hey silverback great read i'll be dreamin of single kolas dotting the countryside for weeks atleast till the snow melts thanks for the info:)

G

Hi everybody,

This thread is getting some really good input which is what I had hoped. If a new grower searches and find this thread, it has some great info from you folks and they should have some good basic ideas. Thats what I hoped for.

hamstring, yes, I have discovered and concluded that having all site work done in advance is the key to good performing plants. In my view, advanced planting site development is the only way to reduce trips to the plant and in fact is the only hope one has of planting and not returning.. I found that trying to adjust the soil during the growing season results in more and more visits and results in less than optimum performance. I also consider 1 or 2 plants necessary to insure my hard work isn't enjoyed by someone else or for police officers congratulating themselves for their good work.
I seldom plant and forget however. My hope is for 4 trips, but weather and rainfall and a dozen other conditions can dictate the number of visits I make.

Yes yamaha 1fan, you have the idea. One cosideration for those growing near highways, pay attention to headlight shine. Car headlights, especially on bright, can shine and cast a shadow for a 1/2 a mile. I don't hesitate to plant near a road, but I always go at dark so that I can determine the impact of headlight shine. Don't grow hermies.

Jochsmokes, that makes at least 2 of us then. I have that same dream.

Ajunta Pall is correct, the state police often post their intentions. The fact that the law checks it regularly doesn't deter me if its a good site. I just begin with some conclusions of how their looking and then I make sure I don't grow that way. I had a psychology minor in college, you can always use someones predetermined beliefs against them by acting in a contrary manner. The human mind ALWAYS tries to interpret the images it see's by using past experience. This is the reason magic works. Be a magician.

sb

Last edited:

Kerouac

Great read silverback , your theards are inspiring mate=) , our choppers don't really come around until september ... my old man sticks plants right out in the open in his backyard and they don't come down on him...this year though i'm growing some gureilla gold #5 and some Manitoba Medicine both early autoflowers from over at Unleashdagreen so hopfully I'll evaid the pork choppers this year .

Vol Funk

Are you sure about State polices?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they only patrol highway? Because I'm on my state police website, and I can't find any grow busts,

Last edited:

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
im sad i hadnt seen this thread sooner. theres some great info in here!

http://www.abandonedrails.com/

Here is another site for abandoned rail lines that lists some other ones. I would even go as far as learning the history of the railroad line in case you encounter rail fans, police, property owners, etc. you'll have a reason to be there. Especially with other rail fans they'll want to talk and know why you're there. Just act like you love trains. This is perfect for me because I enjoy trains as much as weed and I even have clothes to dress the part. Get yourself a hat with a railroad logo on it.

thanks for the link rudolf

Team Microbe

Veteran
Great thread. I would steer clear of power lines though, as these are flown for surveillance often, this is why many grows underneath them are busted

Team Microbe

Veteran
Swamps are my go-to for a few reasons:

Low traffic

Unlimited water

Limited visits

Limited deer/mice

Massive growth (in mineral soil swamps)

You can use google earth to find Mineral Soil Wetlands at your state's Dec.gov site. Just type www.dec.(your state).gov then find fish and wildlife maps for google earth. You'll find many other useful maps besides the wetlands ones as well, don't stop here.

Planting on uplands of swamps is safe when it comes to heavy rains raising the water levels... one reason I like to plant in totes rather than in the ground. Unless the water level doesn't rise that much pots are a must. A step above this option would be swamp tubes... but that's a topic for another thread :wink:

B

buddymate

In some scrub at the back of a Tesco supermarket in the UK,plots are everywhere,the only limiting factor is your imagination,think outside the box.
picture.php

Team Microbe

Veteran
Railroad tracks are a good option, I've had success near these before:

Check google earth for land ownership, often you can find state land along these tracks that aren't traveled by people. I was able to locate some, and built a soil cart to transfer bales from my entry site to my drop site near the patch.

I built a soil cart to haul bales of promix with last year, this helped my back out because previously I was just hauling soil using a duct tape back pack

Last edited:

Team Microbe

Veteran
I built a revised version this summer for next year, this one locks into the tracks better and has a cargo net for supplies in the middle:
picture.php
[/url]

I'll cart the bales down the track and drop them at a ^ dropsite, where I'll leave em overnight until the next morning. From here I'll haul them on my back until I get to the patch...

Investing in a game camera is a wise choice for any guerrilla, because it allows you to see exactly who comes and goes, and what times they do so at. I had my game camera set up for a few weeks to monitor train activity as well as rail workers coming and going. I learned that they stay until 5pm on week days and don't show up on Sundays. So I went and visited the patch on Sundays, or on weekdays after 5pm. Train schedules are all random I've realized, so I've had to jump into the brush a few times when I would hear one coming. That's a part of the game though, and deters anyone else from wandering the tracks too in a way.

I have an alibi the entire time, there's a bird watching park nearby and I park there. I'll get out with my bird watching hat, camera, tripod, and bird watching book and traverse by bike to the railroad tracks. From there I'll lock up my bike to a tree, and hike in on foot to my patch. If someone sees me while I'm out there, it just looks like I'm taking photos. You gotta always play the part, and be prepared to interact with someone suspecting... just as Silverback has said before. It really does take a good amount of effort to remain clandestine, but it's worth it if it means you have your own patch of land to grow freely on.

Think outside the box, and from all angles before approaching scenarios. Happy growing folks, be smart out there

Latest posts

Latest posts