What's new

Ideas For Side-By-Side Experiments

Desert Hydro

Veteran
how about chow mix vs straight coco. there seems to be some merit in the feed more often, get bigger plants/yield from the chow mix. i think we should give it a whirl. i would have attempted some but im not sure if my blumats can get an accurate moisture reading with all that hydroton in there. i might try one out and see what happens. or possibly mostly chow mix and then a solid 2 inch layer of coco on top. i figure the sensor will read from the chow mix depth and the 2" layer of coco will help absorb the flow and spead it out slowly

changescome

when i have more growing experience and humidity control, i would like to cultivate a mycelium that can supports roots of a developing cannabis specimen and provide services symbiotically, such as moisture retainer, nutrient digestion, and possibly deliver nutrients across its membrane.

sv4run

I was reading "Defoliation: Hi-Yield Technique" thread and saw a lot of users wanted to see side by side grow. Well i didn't manage to see all pages, but i also didn't see any side by side thread in this forum. So i thought i might do it with my next grow.

It would probably be good to see it with more strains. So, i have Ladyburn 1974 and TrainWreck clones in rooting stage. Both strains are from GHS. I was thinking i would do defoliation on one Lady and one TW. On other two i would do lolipopping and some LST if needed.

What do you guys think? Well, i still have around 42 days left with my current grow, so let me know.

D

Dipper

How about 1 set of clones given just base nutes and another set given base nutes + bloom boost to see if nute manufacturer's claims hold up? The experiment could then be repeated for different brands.

mdk ktm

I would like to see a side by side of a flood and drain vs top fed with open end drip lines or drip ring. Same amount of plants both in trays, same size pots both with hydroton.

For some reason I like the top feed either 24/7 or on a 30 second on/off interval...

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
seeded flowers vs unseeded flowers. See what effets are more favourable.
I would also love to see fully seeded vs sensi. From my experience seeded marijuana has more vibrant buzz. I found seeded is often more medicinal(for nausea). I would take a guess that seeds promote a more even cannabinoid profile, as oppose to sensi having more elevated THC levels without many other valuable cannabinoids. Id love to see that side by side! I may even do it myself someday ...

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
I would also like to see seeds started in soilless vs soil vs rockwool cubes vs all the other(less natural) ways of starting seeds. I always found in my small scale experiments(10-40 seeds each medium)Directly into soilless was best but directly into rockwool was very good as well(and better for hydro growers). Id love to see a large scale side by side between seed starting mediums! Peace -Dr Freedom

M

mandelbrah

I would also like to see seeds started in soilless vs soil vs rockwool cubes vs all the other(less natural) ways of starting seeds. I always found in my small scale experiments(10-40 seeds each medium)Directly into soilless was best but directly into rockwool was very good as well(and better for hydro growers). Id love to see a large scale side by side between seed starting mediums! Peace -Dr Freedom

I agree with Dr Freedom - a large sample size per starting medium using seeds from a single male pollination of a single female of the exact same strain (preferably a proven stable IBL) should IMHO control for genetic variation and provide conclusive results if all other variables (lumens, temperature, available moisture, etc.) are controlled. This would be somewhat conclusive for germination rates and times. I doubt one could make conclusions on M/F ratio based on this experiment, but if there was a statistically significant difference in sex that would be quite interesting.

Wish there were grant funding for this type of work...and a generous breeder to pitch in the proper quantity of IBL genetics :biggrin:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i've been doing my own side by side of cloning rockwool vs oasis cubes cloning (and my aero cloner also.... 3rd option)

wondering if anyone would be interested if i did a thread about rockwool vs oasis mini cube side by side?

what yall think?

as far as seed starting, i get 100% just a bout in expandable peat jiffy rooters like these:
images

so dont really wanna do a side by side on that... i've done it in rockwool mini cubes also, worked alright also, and never tried popping seeds in oasis cuz........ see above

Last edited:

hereigrow

Clonex gel vs powder
MH vs hps
Coco vs rockwool vs HP mix
Lucas vs full line gh nutes
I could go on and on ......

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
im about to do a project of fem seed making,

have 2 colloidal silver products: tiresias mist & colloidal sheild,

i think i need to start a thread.

ozzieAI

Veteran
i have just posted a thread on seeing if using neem oil as a soil drench helps plants grow or not...just waiting for the mods to get back to me...

hereigrow

Lucas vs aptus
Or anything vs aptus. I'm looking at the fasilitor more specifically. I've seen you comment a bit on this avinash

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lucas vs aptus
Or anything vs aptus. I'm looking at the fasilitor more specifically. I've seen you comment a bit on this avinash

ya... if aptus can't out perform lucas for the price of it..... i mean, i'd run aptus vs h&G or canna, just cause theprices are more comparable.

silver hawaiian did an aptus vs "silver soil" on his nightmare diesel i thihnk, he said his soilone outperformed that aptus.

shit but aptus is all those boosters PLUS a granular soil additive PLUS off brand base nutes... thats alot going on for me.
but i've seen like everyone else how the threads people have done about aptus KILLING it....

Latest posts

Latest posts