What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ideal Mother Tent Setup? Does Tent For Mother Plants Need As High Quality/High Powered of A Light As Veg/Flower Tents? Also, What Size Pots and Tent?

MajorGrindage

I currently have two 5x5 tents that i veg,flower,and dry in both.

I want to add a mother tent to my collection, but im not sure how exactly to set it up.

My Main Questions are:

1. My two 5x5's have HLG Scorpion Diablo LED's which are fairly high powered lights. Im wondering if a mother tent would benefit from having one of them as well, or if a different light would be good for a mother tent, since i will be keeping the mothers alive as long as possible.
  2. Also, what size tent, and what size pots would you choose for your mother plants? For example, in a 5x5, how many mother plants could you maintain inside of X sized pots?
  3. Regardless of money, Do you have a highest quality light you would recommend for mother plants?
  4. Since i am using 2 5x5 tent to veg/flower/dry in currently, what size tent would you recommend for the mother plant? Another 5x5?
  5. there a specific brand of soil you recommend using specifically for mother plants? Currently, For growing, i use build-a-soil "LIGHT" recipe
  6. In order to keep the mothers alive, All i need to do basically is keep up on defoliating them and making sure that they are fed, and basically treat it as how i would treat a vegging plant, just for a longer period of time?
  7. is this brand of pot that i usually use ok for mothers? https://buildasoil.com/products/gra...sq=living&_ss=e&_v=1.0&variant=31726335393876
  8. 6. Do i treat the ventilation exhaust fans and oscilating fans the same as any other veg tent? Currently Both of my 5x5's have AC Infinity 8 inch Cloudline T8's, and 4 clip on 6 inch oscillating fans each.

Thank you!!

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I currently have two 5x5 tents that i veg,flower,and dry in both.

I want to add a mother tent to my collection, but im not sure how exactly to set it up.

My Main Questions are:

1. My two 5x5's have HLG Scorpion Diablo LED's which are fairly high powered lights. Im wondering if a mother tent would benefit from having one of them as well, or if a different light would be good for a mother tent, since i will be keeping the mothers alive as long as possible.
  2. Also, what size tent, and what size pots would you choose for your mother plants? For example, in a 5x5, how many mother plants could you maintain inside of X sized pots?
  3. Regardless of money, Do you have a highest quality light you would recommend for mother plants?
  4. Since i am using 2 5x5 tent to veg/flower/dry in currently, what size tent would you recommend for the mother plant? Another 5x5?
  5. there a specific brand of soil you recommend using specifically for mother plants? Currently, For growing, i use build-a-soil "LIGHT" recipe
  6. In order to keep the mothers alive, All i need to do basically is keep up on defoliating them and making sure that they are fed, and basically treat it as how i would treat a vegging plant, just for a longer period of time?
  7. is this brand of pot that i usually use ok for mothers? https://buildasoil.com/products/gra...sq=living&_ss=e&_v=1.0&variant=31726335393876
  8. 6. Do i treat the ventilation exhaust fans and oscilating fans the same as any other veg tent? Currently Both of my 5x5's have AC Infinity 8 inch Cloudline T8's, and 4 clip on 6 inch oscillating fans each.

Thank you!!
Thanks for the post friend. That's a good question. You don't have to put a lot into growing mother plants. You need to keep the growing environment toned way down compared to a regular veg grow.

The mothers needs a steady photoperiod but not a lot of excess growth. I have seen people have success only using T5 fluorescent lighting for mothers. Use a lot less watts and a lot less soil. Keeping the mothers in 3 to 5-gallon pots works fine.

The bigger the pots the more water is needed, making for more work using large containers. Also, the larger containers keep the humidity much harder to maintain. Keep it simple and use less when it comes to growing and keeping mothers alive.

MajorGrindage

Thanks for the post friend. That's a good question. You don't have to put a lot into growing mother plants. You need to keep the growing environment toned way down compared to a regular veg grow.

The mothers needs a steady photoperiod but not a lot of excess growth. I have seen people have success only using T5 fluorescent lighting for mothers. Use a lot less watts and a lot less soil. Keeping the mothers in 3 to 5-gallon pots works fine.

The bigger the pots the more water is needed, making for more work using large containers. Also, the larger containers keep the humidity much harder to maintain. Keep it simple and use less when it comes to growing and keeping mothers alive.
Thank you so much for the help, and taking the time out of ur day to reply to me.

Ill be sure to keep the lights/environment toned way down for the mother plants tent. Possibly i can use a ppfd meter to get them dialed in perfectly with the light.

Four question's i have for you are this:
1. I am assuming plastic pots are the best for mothers. Is there a brand you would recommend for the best pots with the best drainage/best quality plastic. Or could i order any random pots

2. If i am using a 5x5 tent, how many 3 gallon mothers do you think i could fit in there?

3. If i am using a 5x5 tent, how many 5 gallon mothers do you think i could fit in there, if i decide on 5 gallon pots?

4. Do mother plants smell, or do you think i could skip having a carbon filter in my mother tent?

Thanks again so much for the help, you always seem to comment on a lot of my posts, and you are a very helpful person. I really appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Latest posts