What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ideal lighting for a 5x5' Gorilla Tent

Dr.King

Veteran
Dr.King:
This has been an idea of mine for some time but I am always so skeptical when it comes to cheap LEDs. Are you just getting a generic brand off ebay? Just to clarify, you're using the LEDs two on a side on the short side of the HID lighting, so it's basically boosting the dimmer parts of the HID spread?

Naw I usually go with Grow Bright Led UFO's which are $68 instead of the $50 ones that have the same similar look and seem to deliver exactly the same results that I've noticed. Used both, it's just the Grow Bright Brand will last a lot longer without needing to use the warranty. I've had one of the $50 ones blow all of its lights in 6 months which sucks waiting for a replacement so I have back ups. I switched to Grow Bright because I have been using the same 8 for over 2 years now and only one burn't out. The burn't one just went a few months back so it lasted 3 times longer then the other brand. Their warranty services(last 3 years) are better and faster also.

Indeed you are correct I supplement my main 400 watt system with 4 Led lights, 2 on each side. They are all spaced one foot away from my main light so they are 1 foot or so from the sides and the other Led lights. Seems to cover a big 5' x 5' easily and if my Led to watt conversion is right, with 400 watts and 4 138 watt Led panels it's around 1250 watts. Which makes for less hate, less stress, less bills and better quality buds in my opinion. 9 spectrum's is about the closest thing to the sun so that is what I will give them until I can grow outdoors in a sealed Green House :). I also recommend the Co2 Bags that they sell on Ebay. Before and after results with a Co2 bag added 10% more to my yield which is nice for just a bag that costed 20 or 25 dollars and last 6 months(2 flowering sessions). Best of luck to you man.

timmur

Why not give the Gavita 750's a shot? They have reportedly worked well in spaces with lower ceilings. I think you could pair that with a Sun Sysytems AC/DE hood.

If you're not too concerned about cost, get three of Cycloptics Greenbeams. They only add 1k BTU each in terms of cooling, their spectrum is largely unmatched, and nothing touches their uniformity. Just hang all three all the way to the top and leave 'em there.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
I meant when switching from air cooled Magnum XXXLs to open bulb vertical that I would need to upgrade the A/C to keep it sealed for co2. Thinking about it more though, I don't know if trying to keep co2 in such a small space is the most efficient. I'm all in for exhausting the hot air out and passively sucking in cold A/C from the bedroom. No more horizontal scrog though, so do you train them on to chicken wire on the perimeter of the room?

Yes chicken wire, or Lowe's and Home Depot carry green plastic fence on a roll. Lowes green fencing is my favorite so far. The squares contained in the fence are about 1" x 1" , perfect for using plant clips to tie the plants back to.

Start on one corner of the tent, zip-tie the top and bottom to the tent poles, and un-roll the fence around the inside of the tent. Zip-tying the fence to the corner poles of the tent as you go. Works perfect.

nordsman

this may sound a bit crazy,

but I would horizontally stack t8's to the ceiling on 2 or 3 sides and grow one big ass tree in one big ass bucket....starting of coarse just above the height of chosen container for growing container, something low and very wide. I'm thinking 60 gallons or so.

mount the t8's to 4x8 plywood sheets and mount to the outside walls...I would use standard 4 bulb T8 fixtures and turn them on as needed as the plant grows...

also to start the seedling and get it going I would hang a small CFL for the first few weeks . or have a good size transplant from a smaller vedge box...

or possibly use this as a setup to flower out old mothers...give them a few weeks to get rooted than flip and sit back and watch the jungle unfold

instead of hanging an overhead light , hang a fan for circulation blowing strait down..

as the plant grows upward and outward you keep turning on more lights..

grow something big and out of control.. 7 foot tree indoors with solid buds from top to bottom...pick a strain with medium to longer flowering with huge long buds.

you will get insane growth in a large bucket with all side lighting.you won't need to veg
very long 30 days should do it or less.

little to no wasted light as the lights can be turned on to accommodate the size of the plant..

heat will be minimal and plant can be allowed to touch the lights.

maximum use of each seed purchase.

keep plant numbers minimal, maximum grams per watt

solid buds from bottom up, no pruning required

mufinman

I've run it many ways, most recently bare bulb in a similar sized tent. Next run will be same tent scroged with 2 600s in a growzilla: http://www.vminnovations.com/Produc...r-Hood-Grow-Light-2-All-System-Cord-Sets.html

with a scrubber in the tent and light exhausted to the attic, humidifier in the tent with controller set at 60%, dehuey outside the tent is set at 65%, controller is in the tent, condensate is piped to a remote 8 gallon container that also feeds the humidifier in the tent.

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
I've run it many ways, most recently bare bulb in a similar sized tent. Next run will be same tent scroged with 2 600s in a growzilla: http://www.vminnovations.com/Produc...r-Hood-Grow-Light-2-All-System-Cord-Sets.html

with a scrubber in the tent and light exhausted to the attic, humidifier in the tent with controller set at 60%, dehuey outside the tent is set at 65%, controller is in the tent, condensate is piped to a remote 8 gallon container that also feeds the humidifier in the tent.

Think I could make one of these myself. I have a spare hood, and I have a corded socket. Could use a 1000w MH I have or go with 2 Hps's and besides the regular 1000 hps I have, use an hps with different color light.

How's that sound? Think I would have any problems. It would be strictly for winter use, because the heat can be recycled into the room to heat it.

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
So I made this yesterday. It was so bright when I plugged it in, I couldn't even look at it.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Now thats a badass double socket reflector you've made. And it is still air-coolable if you want. Nice work

-Funk

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
Now thats a badass double socket reflector you've made. And it is still air-coolable if you want. Nice work

-Funk

And it's dual spectrum at that. I'm expecting some good results as soon as temps outside come down a bit.

mufinman

So I made this yesterday. It was so bright when I plugged it in, I couldn't even look at it.

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

great looking work 6OG:tiphat:...Don't look at it!

the only thing different I see from your 'double' and the grozilla is that the bulbs are centered one on the intake hole and the other at the exit hole. Would that make a difference?? I dono,
I'd keep an eye on the hood temps where the bulbs come closest to the reflector but probably no problem.

I have the Gzilla already, still in the box, its on the shelf with the others. HAHAH! :biggrin:

Juno907

I wanted to follow up on this post. I ended up getting a 1000w DE Global Greenhouse Lighting (GGL) ballast with a Sunlight Systems AC/DE hood. This has worked well with the 7ft tent ceiling and last round the top colas were about 24" from the light with no burning. I got around 2 elbows with room for improvement with my first round using drippers so almost 1gpw. The key is having an oversized oscillating fan pushing air around and a lot of air exchange. My air is exchanged every 40-60 seconds depending on how high the fan controllers are turned up. I consistently have 72-74°F daytime temperatures and 62-64°F nighttime with humidity ranging from 35-45%. Before DE I was getting about 1.25 elbows per SE 1,000w running everything exactly the same except handwatering the coco instead of automation now.

Latest posts

Latest posts