What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ICMag Still Alive After All These Years!

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I'm a firm believer in tolerance....until things become intolerant, then something has to be done.

Some Mods/Admins may be more or less tolerant than myself, and have to make a decision over how they perceive a judgement call has to be dealt with. And since this is a free site with volunteer moderators I am not one to criticize what they feel needs being done on any given thread/post....it's really their call.

As for the TOU, yes we do allow the Buddhists to have their chanting thread, because I feel that if anyone wants to believe in any deity, then that one is seen to be the most peaceful of all, and less likely to cause any rumpus on the site, as we have seen.

So there are some idiosyncrasies in the TOU, thats agreed, and there can be some lee-way as to how heavy or light a mod/admin might judge any given situation. The TOU to me is not written in stone, and should actually be updated a bit more regularly as the times change, and we change with it.

Clarence left because he is currently very seriously ill with something that is not getting any better.

EasyGoing

Well there ya go. The TOU means nothing, because it's the opinion of the rule makers that the buddist religion is the most peaceful............ Ignore Jesus much? Anyways, that proves my point.

Let me put it in ways most can understand:

Here in the united states, we have laws on top of laws on top of laws. The people at the top can bend these laws and live how they want. MOst people of the world find this disgusting.

ANybody see some carry over here?

It's your site gypsy, you can do what you want. However, "I feel", the best way to go about moderating a site is to have rules, that apply to everybody. Just my two cents.

Thanks for the conversation Gypsy, you da man.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Nicely said Gypsy!

I think it helps if you don't get too sensitive about what someone says on the internet, where ever you might be posting.

A little more of a hard shell to what some unknown entity is spouting about you goes to great lengths towards your ultimate enjoyment of the experience.

Over the past 20 years of my association with various forum sites I have been called all sorts of unsavory things, been trolled, flamed, lambasted, character assassinated and condemned by many, but to me after all this time it's like water off a ducks back.
After all, it's just the internet and not real life. Who really cares about what some unknown entity thinks about you, or what you do?

....and I believe that argument is important. Thru civil arguments I have learned alot, and actually changed my opinions on many topics, that otherwise I might not have.

The problem is that many peeps cross the line when arguing, and are so quick to turn it into some crude slanging match, peppered heavily with personal attacks and boring profane invective, perhaps because they don't understand how to argue properly, or when loosing the argument revert to cheap insults and attacks.

Essentially an argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition, that is factual, stands to reason, and so is logical to the majority of clear thinking people.

When we meet on an internet forum site such as this, for it to be valid and constructive the discourse needs to be monitored and sanctioned or not depending on the mind-set of those that are moderating/administrating the site. You agree to this when you sign up as a member.

I'm not sure how things have gone since I have been away. I have to trust others to run the site, and have confidence in them. When I returned I had positive and negative feedback as to how it went from both sides of the fence, and that generally is a reflection of how most things go in life. You can't please all of the people all of the time. Hopefully we can please most of the people most of the time.....well that is my aim.

Blazeee

Veteran
IMO IC is the best canna site out there and i have always thought this since the day i joined up. Without IC i would know fuck all about growing, and i have alot of respect for the members who have contributed information here over the years.

As someone posted earlier IG is just for people advertising this or that latest company / seed drop, i havent found any useful growing info on IG, seriously fuck IG.

IC is for the real smokers / growers, its a shame some people forget this site is about growing and start going on like their on facebook or some shit.

Safe Gardener

I would like to respond to this thread.

I'm a newbie who none of you know (well I assume at least) and found this site a couple years ago while reading about lights and the idea of growing some grass for myself. As one could imagine through my Google searching I came across many sites and many threads some seemed pretty good but in the end I kept finding my way back here. I don't even bother with other sites now. I have yet to find a question that without a little effort on my part is not answered here and usually many times over.

I live in an area where cannabis cultivation is frowned upon so you won't be seeing any pics or reading reading any stories of my trials and tribulations in that regard. But any time I see a general gardening question or something about getting things started indoors that I feel I have an answer for I'm happy to help. Because in the end everything I have learned about those topics has come directly from IC.

Happy to be a member and plan to be for a long time to come. Thank to all of you who make IC happen!!!

Safe Gardener

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
IC Still alive and well !!
Some ppls M.O. change very little . Its good to grow from our experience .. or we tend to make the same mistakes over and over

Love IC and love its members !! Lets try to focus on as much positive as possible !!

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
...Take the post above for example. I interpret that as being sarcastic, and although sarcasm is considered to be the lowest form of wit, it can still make you chuckle, even if it might be directed at yourself.....

Hmmm, I disagree about your conclusion about sarcasm being the lowest form of wit--or maybe I have it wrong.

In my mind, sarcasm is a form of irony (the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite) and when used correctly, it can also behave like a coded language of sorts that is easily understood by intelligent minds.

Can sarcasm be taken out of context? Yes...but so can satire. (Satire is a technique employed by writers to expose and criticize foolishness and corruption of an individual or a society by using humor, irony, exaggeration or ridicule. It intends to improve humanity by criticizing its follies and foibles.) Many comedians use satire to criticize public figures...humor has a way of making a nasty insult to be interpreted as less "nasty".

I guess if one is a "literalist" (interpret every word literally), then I can see the difficulty to understand sarcasm, irony and satire. Me I love satire and "coded words", and try laugh whenever I can (even at myself).

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
With all that said, I would spend hours on this site a day. Especially during the winter, or off season. Real life here in Cali has mostly taken the place of ICmag. People in Cali are making huge business deals and collaborating on a massive scale. Icmag was great during prohibition, but the future holds much more face to face time. At least here in Cali.

Concur

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway

Plenty of people in the USA still growing and consuming under threat of arrest. Some states I can see still being twenty more years before recreational is legal (unless it becomes legal federally.)

And of course many countries have crazy cannabis laws, so ICMAG is really doing a service to the cannabis community by maintaining these forums.

rockymountainJ

Im here, lurk more than post lately..... just summer for ya busy busy... I met alot of good helpful folks here.... So Im here till the wheels fall off. I do enjoy Instagram. Nice for quick picture update for testing.
Anyways Cheers all!!!!!

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Overall, ...I hope that ICMAG continues to be a viable and valuable resource to the ever growing-growing community out there internationally as it has always been, and that you all help by welcoming and assisting new members who seek the skills that many of you have learned and honed here on this site over the many years we have been in operation.

There will always be some controversy when you bring so many different minds from many nations together, because we all collectively don't think and act the same day-to-day, and this may affect what we post dependent on where our heads and lives are at, at any given moment.

Just keep in mind that the Moderators and Administrators here do have your best interests at heart , to try and keep the peace, and to encourage you all to post valued content on the site that encourages, entertains, educates and inspires us all, as we continue to go forward.

Just be careful what you post because if it's nasty stuff, spam, flaming etc, and adds no value to what we want and need here, then it will be deleted, and those that continually post that sort of crap will most probably be banned too. If you have a problem with another member, then keep it to personal messages, where I hope that you are able to work it out.

Please don't let your petty squabbles spill out onto open forums because it just adds to our work in trying to clear it all up, and as we have regularly seen, it can get very messy.

zamzia

Veteran
Overall, ...I hope that ICMAG continues to be a viable and valuable resource to the ever growing-growing community out there internationally as it has always been, and that you all help by welcoming and assisting new members who seek the skills that many of you have learned and honed here on this site over the many years we have been in operation.

There will always be some controversy when you bring so many different minds from many nations together, because we all collectively don't think and act the same day-to-day, and this may affect what we post dependent on where our heads and lives are at, at any given moment.

Just keep in mind that the Moderators and Administrators here do have your best interests at heart , to try and keep the peace, and to encourage you all to post valued content on the site that encourages, entertains, educates and inspires us all, as we continue to go forward.

Just be careful what you post because if it's nasty stuff, spam, flaming etc, and adds no value to what we want and need here, then it will be deleted, and those that continually post that sort of crap will most probably be banned too. If you have a problem with another member, then keep it to personal messages, where I hope that you are able to work it out.

Please don't let your petty squabbles spill out onto open forums because it just adds to our work in trying to clear it all up, and as we have regularly seen, it can get very messy.

This should be shown to everyone as they sign up. Compulsory reading before they have access. And perhaps some of the old heads here too!

packerfan79

Veteran
It may be time for the next gen to step up, and keep the mag going. I am not going anywhere, and I try to help. I do get frustrated when you try to help newbies and they think they know it all. If you are not going to follow advice don't ask the questions. Also the newbies who want to grow dank but won't put any money into it or think th at the most expensive nutes will equal the best buds.

I kinda agree people should learn to use the search features, and give some info about the specs of the grow. We get lots of questions that have been answered over and over

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice to see the thread got cleaned up !!

Knowing how to convey your opinion and be civil to others that dont agree seems to be the hardest thing for any to do.. We all have opinions. People can disagree all they want don't make it personal. The hate some spill out here on occasion towards people they dont know is disturbing and unnecessary.

B

bigganjabud

Yeah I'm coming out of retirement on this thread as realised name had been changed and it's been cleaned up a bit

Thankyou

Ere gyps you tryed the pg tips yet?

Il buy ya a box if ya want in place of that pint

chuckyoufarley

Veteran
i started on ICMAG when OVERGROW went down ,there were only a few hundred of us ICers when i started now its crazy,your post would stay on the 1st page for at least a day now its back a few pages in a hour lol