What's new

Ice-tube cloner from WallyWorld

TB Gardens

Veteran
Oh good lord we are on opposite ends of the spectrum :x u do micro or sog? It roots those little clones pretty well, that's cool

Z

zen_trikester

Oh good lord we are on opposite ends of the spectrum :x u do micro or sog? It roots those little clones pretty well, that's cool
micro perpetual. 2-3 plants a week, 24 in the cabinet, roughly 1 quart of soil per pot, using mini treepot mt38's (3"x3"x8")

Yeah, if I have 1/2" of stem or more I can almost always root them. My moms are in 4" tall trays with cells that are 2.5" wide and hold about a cup of soil. My moms have about 4" of height before they hit the glass in front of the lights. I put glass up so they can hit glass and spread out if I want to put off trimming, but usually I keep them short. I don't use the ice cube trays btw... I use other tubes but it is the same technique. There are 6 moms on that top shelf with room for one more in the tray. Since this pic was taken I actually brought the top shelf up higher to allow for a little more veg room below. This is literally all of my veg/mom/clone space. Only other cabinet is for flowering and a small breeding cab is under construction as we speak.
[FONT=&quot]
picture.php
[/FONT]

Cheerful

Myself Ive not seen problems with dampoff.... but Im also a religous user of clonex which contains not only a rooting hormone but antimicrobials as well.....

However my sense is that its not much of a problem......

The bottom line is ...IM glad you found something that works for you......:jump:

Thanks Burnt Rope! Yeah, I wasn't trying to say My way is better than the original...I just threw in my 2 cents in to suggest something to try if someone needed it. Also, as I read the last few posts, it occured to me that my growroom RH is a Lot higher than some of you (mine rarely goes under 45%)...i guess that's the reason I never have to mist them either.

On the other hand, someone out there will be tickled to be able to just grab up a Magic Marker (same diameter as the penny) that's just laying around the house, to remove the rooted clones, and not have to dig around for the right drill bit for drilling thru a penny. So I think I still made a contribution here. :tiphat: That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :joint: Peace n puffs! :dance013: :cathug:

sumo

I don't push out clones with anything as this would mean taking off bottom of ice cube tray. Not all of my cuttings root at same time. After I see roots coming through bottom of tray that clone is done and you can just pull that clone out. If I don't see roots but suspect one is done a gentle tug will tell you if it is ready. If there is no resistance and cutting starts to come out easily give it some more time. If when you tug on one it feels like it is well rooted just pull that one out. I don't use heater or dome or anything just T I M E. I have like a continuous harvest every three weeks. Three weeks to root. Three weeks in cups. Three weeks in 3 gallon pots vegging. 9 weeks flower and boom. Harvest every three weeks.

zeke99

I know people have mentioned trying other rooting mediums with this cloner and finding that vermiculite worked best. Still I'm trying it out with Turface MVP. Seven healthy blueberry cuttings, one of them is in verm just for the hell of it.

shorty68

have to try this one out. currently using wal-mart tomatoe lg.dome cloner with heat mat. works well all so.thx will try ur idea next.

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
Has anybody tried using rockwool plugs in the cloner with perlite or vermiculite on the bottom half?
I'm looking for a medium that can be transplanted directly into net pots with hydroton and still provide some support for the clone once in the pot.

someotherguy

Veteran
I don't push out clones with anything as this would mean taking off bottom of ice cube tray. Not all of my cuttings root at same time. After I see roots coming through bottom of tray that clone is done and you can just pull that clone out. If I don't see roots but suspect one is done a gentle tug will tell you if it is ready. If there is no resistance and cutting starts to come out easily give it some more time. If when you tug on one it feels like it is well rooted just pull that one out. I don't use heater or dome or anything just T I M E. I have like a continuous harvest every three weeks. Three weeks to root. Three weeks in cups. Three weeks in 3 gallon pots vegging. 9 weeks flower and boom. Harvest every three weeks.
i usually get 25 - 27 out of 27 in just 14 days, plus i always take more cuts than i need so, for me at least, popping the bottom off and ramming my rooted clones out seems less damaging than tugging on new roots, ...but that's just me.

Has anybody tried using rockwool plugs in the cloner with perlite or vermiculite on the bottom half?
I'm looking for a medium that can be transplanted directly into net pots with hydroton and still provide some support for the clone once in the pot.
hey sarge, i think you'd have better luck just rinsing the vermiculite off the rooted clones and just potting them up into net pots filled with hydroton for your hydro set-up of choice, lol.

anyway, here's a couple pics illustrating an easy way to pot up newly rooted cuts into hydroton i learned from StinkyAtiic a few years ago and if you're already familiar than ...never mind, lol.

anyway, the pics speak for themselves.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

so that's it, and by filling the 'pot' with floaters you can wiggle the new roots down into the pot, then just back-fill and lift out the pot to put into your system, without the vermiculite.

peace, and stay safe, SOG

zeke99

I know people have mentioned trying other rooting mediums with this cloner and finding that vermiculite worked best. Still I'm trying it out with Turface MVP. Seven healthy blueberry cuttings, one of them is in verm just for the hell of it.

picture.php

still looking good after 4.5 days

Manitoid

spamming or hijacking other threads is probably not the way to go. it will also probably get you nowhere but banned.

Edit: this is in response to a deleted post... sorry Is there not a away to delete my own posts?

Cheerful

You are right, the above is the easiest way of all, if it will work. I'm glad it's working for you, but I did try pulling from the top, several different times.... all that happened was I could feel the roots ripping.

Oh well! The important thing is, It Works! Peace...

someotherguy

Veteran
You are right, the above is the easiest way of all, if it will work. I'm glad it's working for you, but I did try pulling from the top, several different times.... all that happened was I could feel the roots ripping.

high man, i've posted this before so if you've seen it, just disregard it.

anyway, a penny with a hole drilled into the center so it can be screwed to a piece of dowel works terrific as a ram.

picture.php

peace, SOG

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
BTW,
A Sterlite ice cube holder will fit the cloner perfectly.
Mine was on the same shelf as the cloner at WalMart.
picture.php

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran

This is what I experienced, as well. The method overall worked alright, but I probably won't be using my Wal Mart cloner again primarily because it is so awkward and messy when the time comes to remove the rooted clones.

One thing I would try differently if I were going to bother is... not sticking the cuts down past 2" deep. I pushed them down about 1" from the bottoms and so the roots only grew down from there, and the result was that the roots only grew in (and bound together) the bottom inch or two of vermiculite.

If you only stick them down an inch or so, 75% of the vermiculite "plug" will be colonized by roots and should hold together much better, making removal easier.

I wish someone made one of these ice cube trays but about 2-3x the size, so it would be easier to work with. It's a solid idea and I'm glad it works for so many!

Peace-

Dig