What's new

Ice-tube cloner from WallyWorld

rastalifestyle

how far into the vercurmulite do you put the end of the cutting i had a round that some of the stems got slimy and soft think i might have put them in too deep

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
In one of my earlier attempts to clone...

I used rapid rooters and a tray.....

they held quite a bit of water too....

Yet I managed to kill them.... they dried out....

With this deal I can add to the res one time in 2 weeks and voila roots....

Sounds like you may have burned them up with nutes too hot for the infant roots.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
moz-screenshot-1.png
You can buy fairly large storage containers for less than $5, and a hole cutter for $5, add a bubbler/stone and you are rockin.

If growing up to 6 plants you can get a 6 liter container (shoe box size) for $1.00 at Dollar stores. One 10" bubble stone creates a highly oxygenated environment for seedlings to develop or clones to root. I am going to use 2 @ 10" stones since I have them.

moz-screenshot.png

real ting

I cant seem to see the need to let the unit sit in an inch of water. It seems to hold a decent amount of water with out it. This is especially true if you put a dome on it.

The set it and forget it aspect is the whole point of this cloner. No need to go in and water them every day, you just fill it up and let it go.

I haven't tried this but I will, I tracked down the ice tube tray and now I just need a container to put it in.

I usually use rapid rooters and have good success rates but If I forget to water them 2-3 times a day they will dry out and die. This seems like just the ticket.

Brother Bear

Simple kynd of man
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The best part about using these, imo, is that since they are translucent, you can monitor root development!

picture.php

picture.php

The only thing i never liked about this method was the fact i could not see the roots as they grew. Guess what i plan on getting soon :smoke: K+ for the idea

someotherguy

Veteran
moz-screenshot-1.png
You can buy fairly large storage containers for less than $5, and a hole cutter for $5, add a bubbler/stone and you are rockin.

If growing up to 6 plants you can get a 6 liter container (shoe box size) for $1.00 at Dollar stores. One 10" bubble stone creates a highly oxygenated environment for seedlings to develop or clones to root. I am going to use 2 @ 10" stones since I have them.

moz-screenshot.png

been there, done that. ...here's a couple pics of the bubbler i retired after a friend pointed me over here.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

...now i wouldn't think of cloning any other way than with my ice-tube-tray's and in fact i am such a convert i built a cab just for my cloners and the newly rooted clones resulting, lol.

anyway, here's a pic of the cab with 2 cloners up top, left and right.

picture.php

here you can see the open shelf i built to allow air-flow and to passively recapture heat from the lower bulbs.

picture.php

here's the back almost complete

picture.php

and a shot from the front before final finishing touch's

picture.php

in any event, in my humble opinion this passive wick style cloner is the easiest, most reliable cloning method there is, bar none.

peace, and stay safe, SOG

The only thing i never liked about this method was the fact i could not see the roots as they grew. Guess what i plan on getting soon :smoke: K+ for the idea

Thanks Brother Bear, glad you like!

A word of warning though, I stopped by Target to stock up on a few more today..."sorry sir, we don't stock those at this time of year."

/sigh

Fortunately, the magic in this method is the HEAT and the VERM! I have some little plastic jiffy pellet container 4-pack thingamabobs that work perfect as well, I'll throw up a picture of those when I clone in a few days or a week.

O

OZZ

I use this method with perlite and it works fine. Be sure to clean everything out after each batch as slime does tend to build up during the run.

O

OZZ

I also didn't notice much of a difference using vermiculite and perlite. Both took about 12 days for me @ 82 degrees.

Looked in Wallys for the Popsicle trays but it was a seasonal product. Found it online for cheap.

Used clonex on the stem, and a mix of Maxicrop and KLN in the tray.
Used a cloning heater mat under it. 10 days later and all are rooted!

100 %

The plants didn't even droop/wilt the first 24 hours as most of my other attempts with other methods have.

Great thread! Thanks for passing on the info!

Attachments

• clones(2).jpg
    clones(2).jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Clones.jpg
    Clones.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 13

dkarpas

Easy 0 cost cloning method

Easy 0 cost cloning method

I must admit that I'm a new guy in the hood but what I found as an easy cheap cloning method with more than 80% success rate, is just to take an empty plastic bottle (better if it has curves - like a coke bottle), you cut the bottle at about half hight (see pictures) than you put soil and than the clone. KEEP THE CAP ON!
Now you just give the clone a lot of water and you close him with the top you just cut off.
place them under a floracent light in a warm room (in cold times you just place it closer to the light source).
a few days, up to 2 weeks you'll be able to see the roots running down the sides off the bottle.
Good luck!

Attachments

• 02082010066.jpg
    02082010066.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 17072010047.jpg
    17072010047.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 15
  • 17072010048.jpg
    17072010048.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 15
  • 19072010053.jpg
    19072010053.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 19072010054.jpg
    19072010054.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 19072010055.jpg
    19072010055.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 16

Herborizer

Veteran
I must admit that I'm a new guy in the hood but what I found as an easy cheap cloning method with more than 80% success rate, is just to take an empty plastic bottle (better if it has curves - like a coke bottle), you cut the bottle at about half hight (see pictures) than you put soil and than the clone. KEEP THE CAP ON!
Now you just give the clone a lot of water and you close him with the top you just cut off.
place them under a floracent light in a warm room (in cold times you just place it closer to the light source).
a few days, up to 2 weeks you'll be able to see the roots running down the sides off the bottle.
Good luck!

Thank you for sharing, and this does look simple and effective. Though, I think it would be better if you started your own thread. This thread is about using ice tube trays (and things like them).

S

Shike

Anyone able to find the trays out of season? I checked Walmart, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, and a local grocery store. Seems like they're switching to ice cube trays that are flat and can still create long skinny ice for bottles. These upright trays might be going out of production.
I suppose I could order it online...

S

Shike

Do you guys put the Therm probe in the Vermiculite or in the water? I have my mat set at 85 and put the probe in the water to keep the water at 85 degrees.

GP2B

been there, done that. ...here's a couple pics of the bubbler i retired after a friend pointed me over here.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

...now i wouldn't think of cloning any other way than with my ice-tube-tray's and in fact i am such a convert i built a cab just for my cloners and the newly rooted clones resulting, lol.

anyway, here's a pic of the cab with 2 cloners up top, left and right.

picture.php

here you can see the open shelf i built to allow air-flow and to passively recapture heat from the lower bulbs.

picture.php

here's the back almost complete

picture.php

and a shot from the front before final finishing touch's

picture.php

in any event, in my humble opinion this passive wick style cloner is the easiest, most reliable cloning method there is, bar none.

peace, and stay safe, SOG

Seriously, you retired the bubbler for this? 100% success with no effort, no dome, and no cloning solution with the bubbler, I didn't think it got any easier.

Latest posts

Latest posts