What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ice-tube cloner from WallyWorld

Budley Doright

Veteran
I've kept the cuttings in the cloner for almost two weeks and no roots yet... it looks swollen like a root may be starting. The cuttings are still green so i guess ill leave them in there till they die or root.

Do you think warmer water will help? i think its about 74f right now maybe a little cooler.

How long can it take to root?

:wallbash:

How can I say this???

Ive spent quite a bit of effort in stating and restating that temps are very important in cloning....

Ive posted that the best range is 81 - 84 degrees IMO.....

You post you are at 74 and maybe lower.....

I offer you as proof of this concept....

I never well almost never keep my clones in the cloner for as much as 14 days......

There is an old saying...

If all else fails.... read the directions.....

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
:wallbash:
There is an old saying...
If all else fails.... read the directions.....

Indeed.. i guess i will grab some type of reptile heating pad and rig it to the bottom of my res so i can control the temps.

the 24" T5 doesn't generate enough heat...

Thanks for the advise:joint:

and if only i would have read the instructions i could have saved a week or so.. Live and learn

Medical

I am curious as to how tall these tubes are? I have a bunch of 3/4" PVC pipe laying around so was figuring to use that up instead of buying more stuff.

And you say the Promix did not work well, dang that was what I was going to use, as I have it in quantity!

I am curious as to how tall these tubes are? I have a bunch of 3/4" PVC pipe laying around so was figuring to use that up instead of buying more stuff.

And you say the Promix did not work well, dang that was what I was going to use, as I have it in quantity!

I just went and measured, the tubes are 3.5" tall. The unit is only a couple of bucks and seems easier to buy than build. The plus factor is the blue caps fit perfectly and if you have to push the clone out from the bottom, it is tres easy than messing with however you seal the bottom of your tubes.

Don't use the promix. This is passive hydro. Use the 70/30 verm/pearl mix that is a hydro medium. You won't regret you results...

Mine almost always end us like this at 12-14 days....

picture.php

Good luck and Ja bless.:joint:

C

cellardweller

I wonder if a pinch of Promix thrown in would help any, considering the myco..:chin:
think I may try that once..I'll post the results here when I do..
peacenpot,
dubs

Budley Doright

Veteran
I just went and measured, the tubes are 3.5" tall. The unit is only a couple of bucks and seems easier to buy than build. The plus factor is the blue caps fit perfectly and if you have to push the clone out from the bottom, it is tres easy than messing with however you seal the bottom of your tubes.

Don't use the promix. This is passive hydro. Use the 70/30 verm/pearl mix that is a hydro medium. You won't regret you results...

Mine almost always end us like this at 12-14 days....

picture.php

Good luck and Ja bless.:joint:

very nice..... and this is how most of them should look at 14 days....

a nice happy clone.... with a big plug of roots....

I agree about the build.... its well worth 3-4 bucks for the blue caps....

Push the plants out with a penny and a dowel or something.....

Cellardweller... I was schmoozing in your thread some time back and saw one of the cloners..... its kind of cool for me to stumble across someone using this thing for me.....

thanks for the post....

promix.... while a few in my test got roots.... I wouldnt use promix unless it was a last resort.....

you might also need a dome.... or at least it might help....

hiker

I also use this method, works great, if you need to keep clones small while other plants flower due to space restrictions, this works great, once root show out bottom, take off blue caps and place container in a bigger container so roots are in water, change water every day or two, and you can keep clones small and healthy until others have flowered and you have room again, this way you can always clone before cutting lights, because once you change light cycle clones are hard to root.

Medical

K thanks! I have always cloned in a 16oz plastic beer cup full of promix, kept sitting in a tub with water. Works well but using the 3/4 pvc will allow more in the same space.
May pick up some vermiculite and give it a go. Will cap the pvc with end caps for pvc, and drill holes in sides up a bit.

Great find!

Budley Doright

Veteran
I would also love to use promix..... but I think there is a very clear advantage to using vermiculite for cloning.....

I have said I tried using pvc just prior to finding the ice tube maker at walmart....

the pvc version was a pain in the ass....

I do wish they made a 3/4 in size however..... but the 1/2 size works fine....

C

cellardweller

damnit..i just filled up the cloner again and forgot the freekin promix..:bashhead:
I was just gonna use it @ like 10-15% volume anyway..or do ya think there may be a better ratio?

Temps are more important that I thought, even with this unit. I had 4 clones that were stalled and would not throw roots. I moved the unit up under a set of CFL's with no fan on them which raised the temp to the ~85 ish range. Three of the clones threw root in 72 hrs, the other one died :badday:

My first lost clone with this method. It was bound to happen...

Budley Doright

Veteran
Temps are more important that I thought, even with this unit. I had 4 clones that were stalled and would not throw roots. I moved the unit up under a set of CFL's with no fan on them which raised the temp to the ~85 ish range. Three of the clones threw root in 72 hrs, the other one died :badday:

My first lost clone with this method. It was bound to happen...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ET9506-ETHICAL-...ERMOMETER_W0QQitemZ270400610872QQcmdZViewItem

I dont think most people could probably be more successful cloners by spending 3 bucks.....

Im sure everyone has seen the old fashioned stainless steel fish tank thermometer.....

I just lay it flat where I want to place my cloner.....

look for at least 80 degrees for optimum success with this cloner...

Ive seen them at petco and walmart they are very common....

ft100

ICMag Donor
Veteran
51/54 this time through and my cloning problems are over. thank you very much. peace and smoke

vicious bee

This is the greatest cloner in the world. It's also the best way to start seeds. I've been using a quarter teaspoon H2O2 per gallon in my water to head off root rot problems.

Budley Doright

Veteran
just wanted to let you know how it went. like it says in my diy aero i went 9 for 40 successful at a 22.5% success rate. in the world class wall mart cloner i was 28 of 54 at a 51.8% success rate. i really think this way is much easier and cheaper. the diy aero is very cool and i am very proud of it. i do need to get a thermometer for both applications and maybe just a heatmat will do the trick. for now i will clone again with the wc^2 (World Class Wallmart Cloner). first time i used clonex as well with this so that might have helped. damn chemdawgs wont clone for me. any tips? peace and smoke.

then you just posted......

<<51/54 this time through and my cloning problems are over. thank you very much. peace and smoke>>

Quite an improvement.... Im pretty sure you can tell us....

what did you figure out between the first and second batches???

second q...

do you still like that old bubble cloner as much????

:laughing: