What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I want some more Heliotropism!

Scott - that was indescribable, the words to explain this event, and what you did in articulating both finding a video of heliotropism and a song to accompany it; I am speechless and very appreciative. Notice how the wind stressed the plant as well. They call this eustress. Gravity is a great example, it is one of the main reasons why humans wont be living on another planet anytime soon, our bones, organs, everything require eustress. I am glad I finally got to actually see flowers move with the sun. That was amazing, and thank you.

Look up the word eustress. I used wikipedia.

Doing this indoors and with plants that tall would be very costly. I think you are missing the fact that even though a plant may be small, that it's heliotropism is not. It is proportionate.

As the plant moves, it get justices flowing, those chemical reactions that result in us being happy after all our efforts and expense. So far we have focused primarily on light, it is nice to consider that other things going on with the plant.

The whole idea about indoor growing is that you have full control of what is going on, but in doing so are we making our plants slaves, preventing them from being free to do what they must do. It would be nice to surpass what nature has to offer growth, and dial certain aspects that are beneficial and increase them. Not mimicking what happens outdoors, but making it better.

I think this is a good spot to close this thread. I feel that what is needed now is more of what you just showed us Scott. Real examples of what it is like to be a piquant and free from us growers. Maybe you can document your plant's Heliotropism for all of here on a thread of your own. Be sure to put out many chairs so no one missing out on watching this remarkable phenomena. Remember that you helped us see something more here on this forum.

I want to thank all the people, my new friends; for contributing in this thread. If it was not for them, I could not have made it this far in my thinking. I have concluded that Heliotropism is mandatory for plants, and have been using these techniques for several years which I am certain played a role in it's yield, and quality of the finished product. I grew AK-48 with the cherry phoneme. I will be changing only one aspect in my grow methods, which I have not changed since day one; that is to add more Heliotropism. I will accomplish that by making my lights come off and on as I have, but changing the cycle from six hours MH during the first part of the day in growth, and the last six hours HPS as the MH turn off, to a more pronounced state of 3 hours, instead of 6 hour cycling for each set of MH and HPS bulbs. Thus creating a forwards, and backwards pattern with the existing 6 light bulb configuration. This can be easily seen after viewing the equipment with the pictures I provided below. The result of this research allowed me to double the amount of Heliotropism from my previous growing expereinces.

"I want more Heliotropism"

Thank you everyone!

S

Scott64a

Yes, you're right; it's proportionate.

I suppose I was looking in my mind at all of the grow box pics with canopies of green about 20" high with thick branches underneath and started to compare it to leggy, naturally grown sativas without cropping.

What I failed to articulate was more along the lines of columnar growth and more sparse leaf coverage, with light penetration available the length of the stalk. No matter, as you have this well in hand and are indeed obtaining very desirable results.

Have you ever tried this with a single plant with room around it in the box?
Just curious.

This discussion has been excellent, and I'm so very glad to see another grower who "roots" themselves not only in actual scientific methods, but also in the ways of the natural construct we exist in outside of a grow box. If anyone wants to learn at the knee of a master, look outside and view the many billions of years worth of evolutionary evidence of the very best of conditions for any living thing.

Sure, it's nice to see huge smelly and sugar-crusted buds, but there is SO much that isn't being stimulated in our green lady-friends that really completes their complex chemical profiles in most indoor grows.

Glad to see you so particular, Mr. Willy.

"Have you ever tried this with a single plant with room around it in the box?
Just curious." (Scott)

The structure that held the lights is an open set up, located in a room that is 15 feet by 20 feet, yet in the picture you see the unit is siting against one of the four walls in the room.

I always maximized what the equipment was geared to accomplish, so my grow was ak-48 for three years using the same equipment set up in the same way. This allowed for efficient use of the cost of the equipment, and time spent potting, and feeding those plants. The system allowed for 38 plants, but due to the six inches of space between each pot in all directions, and since the light above the planet was only for six of this hours; I got to witness Heliotropism of each individual plant during the entire growth process for each two month growth during those three years. I got to se what you described in that video. What I did not get to notice was the articulation of the branches that held these leaves, and obviously a bud looks different than a flower so it was hard to imagine Heliotropism's effect on our own flowers. Some time taking an example that exaggerates our point, shows us more clearly what it is we have already seen. In this case, it is Heliotropism.

Note: the equipment above sitting in that structure was 4 feet wide, and eight feet long. The height of the ceiling is also eight feet. All measurements for for temps, Co2, and humidity was done by calculating the entire foot print of the apartment which was 650 sq. feet. The growth was in the open, and avoiding any glass thus making the bulbs (heat) exposed to the plants. The GVW was a consistent .9333 every grow during the entire three years. The product lived up to it's name "The One Hit Wonder", and a smoke report is posted on this forum under that title.

There is a lady who was very observant about people. I want you to watch this video, you may have to download it from pirate bay. Let me know if you need help in learning how to do that.
Citizen Jane Battle For The City 2016

You wil see how people miss so much around them when they look. She was an amazing women, some of the best skills in observation occur when we set aside our own teachings, our ego, and our own short falls then we can truly see what it is that's in front of us. She saw order in things, others just thought it was chaos needing to be sterilized. When they tore down everything, you can see how she was right yet the people even to this day have come to become accustomed to the change. This ever so gradual journey to stupidness makes it harder to find a bright light in any of us. So cherish your mind, and guard it my friend. Be careful, you might just totally redesign society's norms, and would't that be great!

Last edited:
S

Scott64a

OK, now I see that you had room around them. That's one big grow closet.

I'll definitely check that out.
These kinds of things fascinate me, but I'm usually most blown away at how much people misinterpret or just MISS what 's around them at any given time.

Ha, maybe that's why I have such a hard time in cities and densely populated, noisy crowded places. So much to take in, and it becomes taxing to just BE there for me.

Say, going out to Wyoming next week for some horseback riding and fly fishing... That's going to be awesome in so many ways.
Too bad herb isn't legal there! hahaha

Still, a week nestled in those national parks is going to be a welcome break; I just hope the weather is cool and we get some rain while I'm away. These plants are thirsty!

(I do have a friend who can come water though, thankfully.)

Latest posts

Latest posts