What's new

I put too much Bleach in my reservoir...

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well this thread shows what a bunch of stoners we all are, if you wanted 2 ml per gallon and you added 40ml to 25 gallons you are still 10 ml of bleach short lol. now i don't know anything about using bleach for this purpose, but i know maths when i bother lol. so if the recepy calls for 2 ml bleach per gallon you can add 10 ml more to that 25 gallons of water :)

sorry for not paying more careful attention.

Dude never said he wanted 2 ml per gallon, he wanted 2 ml total.

Stoner! ;)

dunkydunk

I don't care about the math, i think it's weird to bleach the roots to prevent root rot. If you have root rot in coco, you're just running too wet.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
oops looks like i confused the op with a later poster, we even have 10ml/gal suggested lol. personally i never used bleach in my tank. i add stuff that is the opposite of bleach, ie beneficial bacteria etc. as the last poster said you really shouldn't have root rot problems in coco, even in quite hot grow rooms.

toastfighter2

I added 10ml per gal to knock back algae growth, the main source of problems in my system(it cuts loose and blocks tubing, or at least it did). Now I have cut it back to 4ml per gallon and have seen no ill effects so far(start of week 3 of running bleach), and the few clear tubes I have barely have anything in them.

toastfighter2

The algae that was growing in my res and tubing. I guess breaks loose would have been a little better wording for it.

bilbobonger

The algae that was growing in my res and tubing. I guess breaks loose would have been a little better wording for it.

Gotchya. Think I've been dealing with brown algae as well. Been doing the bleach thing, though I'm thinking about giving the beneficial bacteria a go.

Before your res started to grow algae, did your water get really cloudy? Thought I had this thing under control, but just put together a new nutrient profile, and now the water's getting cloudy again and that's with the addition of bleach and h202.

toastfighter2

My water was perfect until I changed around from horizontal to vert. I am working on a RDWC system that will work in a multi level vert system, but the only thing I had on hand and could get a lot more of was 1 gallon salad dressing containers. They work perfect for what I am doing, besides being a pita to light proof and still be able to see the water level(grow bags would work perfect, but they are a hot commodity around here, and the hydro shop just can't seem to keep them in stock).