What's new

I Need Security Help...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would do a fresh install of your OS.. I do this at least 1x a few years sometimes sooner.

avant gardener

Veteran
roughly half the comments in this thread are from folks telling you to dump windows and IE. there might be something to that.

there are lots of great free releases of linux. ubuntu is really popular, but i still like redhat. the challenge with any linux release is that you're going to need to learn arounde a command prompt. it's a good thing to know, but a lot of folks are intimidated by it/couldn't care less. if you're one of them, consider switching to OS X. it's the most stable platform there is, and a toddler could use it, more or less.

don't want to drop a couple grand on a new mac? check this shit out:
http://www.hackintosh.com/
there's builds out there that will let you run lion on an old beat up dell.

S

SeaMaiden

That's the thing about Ubuntu, though, avant. You don't need to learn your way around the command line, certainly it's nothing like, say, Gentoo. But, let's say you do want to use some commands using the terminal window. All you have to do is Google and there's more out there on how to do what you want to do than you can shake a stick at. And THAT is what has helped me personally more than anything.

You see, to me it's kind of funny, how I ended up online and using computers. I used my first computer in 1978, in a Business Technology class in high school. Never used one again until I worked for Licorice Pizza (LP record shop, the old kind), they had a centralized network. Still though, I never really saw the utility in computers and the internet and eschewed all in favor of the old methods and means.

Then, back in '00 a neighbor 'gifted' me with an unwanted cockatiel. One of my sisters was visiting at the time and she dragged me over to our mom's computer and said, "Use the internet! You don't need to buy a book on cockatiels, USE THE INTERNET!" That led me to 'Tiel Talk, which led me to being forced to learn my way around computers, which led me to a forum called SubDimension, which, by way of many twists and turns and one work injury, has finally led me here. I met my husband online (due to my downtime post-injury).

Since that time of not being able to figure out the difference between a browser and a folder, I've built three machines from mobo & CPU on out (fried one with a bad power connection, oh!), used several versions of Windows, and more versions of Linux than I think I can remember. The ONLY reason I ever kept a Windows OS on any machine I own was for my banking. Now that I have a Tablet and can use my bank's mobile banking features, I no longer need Windows and haven't looked back.

OSX=Linux=OSX without the price tag. And I am ALL about cheap-to-free! Woot!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use to sub to that mag :) we had a house full of birds. 12 love birds that we breed for petco. (cockatiels,Sun Conures,Congo African gray We kept these as pets).

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As several people have said, get Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and run it in the safe mode. Then if you actually pay for it, you can get the on-line capability. After using it for several years to bail out my relatives, friends and neighbors, I felt guilty enough that I got the paid version. No problems since.

You may have to save it under a different name to keep it from getting hosed by some malware that is looking for it and makes it inoperable prior to running. These malicious little cocksuckers are ingenious.

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
on a PC it is so simple

Microsoft Security Essentials

Run Firefox with No Script, Foxy Proxy, Ad-Block Plus

welcome to problem free computing

S

SeaMaiden

I use to sub to that mag :) we had a house full of birds. 12 love birds that we breed for petco. (cockatiels,Sun Conures,Congo African gray We kept these as pets).

You breed for Petco, or bred for Petco? And if you are still breeding for Petco, how happy are you with the care the birds are getting after they leave you?

If people really knew how Petco really operates....

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It depends on the store. The store we used was excellant in there care.. I use to breed for them not anymore..I dont have anymore birds......

S

SeaMaiden

It does indeed depend on the store, and I'm very happy Petco no longer tries to be their own distribution center for live animals. It was *not* pretty.

tehmaster

I think you were on to something. As soon as I downloaded that, it cut my internet connection, which happens about 1500 times daily. I think I'll riddle this computer with bullets and buy a new one.

If I were to get a new computer and use the same connection, would whatever the problem be, be able to reinfect itself?

Sorry, I'm clueless when it comes to computers and programs and such.

Believe me as FUN as it is to let your anger out on that inanimate object with guns...

grow some pot in it instead :tiphat:

RetroGrow

Veteran
No such thing as malware/virus that can't be removed. As someone suggested, just Google the "infection" and you will find the solution.

Latest posts

Latest posts