What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I need an electric air compressor for home.

Treevly

I need it to blow out the basement, fill the odd tire, stuff such as that. Such smaller models seem barely adequate for small jobs. Big ones weight 50 pounds and up, and 50 is more than I'd like, but it might be doable. [I have to go and down the stairs with the thing.] Lighter ones seem not to have the muscle, according to reviews. I'm not completely disregarding price, but you can't always get the thing you want at the best price. If you know a model which fits those specs and is reliable, please suggest.
Thank you.
:tiphat:

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Makita MAC700 Big Bore 2.0 HP Air Compressor is 59 pounds. The noise is not bad at all. It fills the tank and is ready to go quickly. The handle and balance when lifting make more manageable.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
If you only have to move it once to install, and can use long air lines after that, a Harbor freight 29 gallon is a pretty good unit. I am on my 3rd in so many years, because I run one continuously to aerate the ponds. 110V.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
My hobbies required enough air to run a 3/4" impact wrench or a 6" dual action sander. The glass bead abrasive cabinet used a fair amount even stopped down to 90 psi from the 175 nominally available.

Under 5 hp did not enjoy longer jobs and strained to keep up, causing the job to slow down. The 3 hp model originally purchased was replaced.

The 5 hp model from the local NAPA store worked just fine. Any name brand in the 5 hp range will do fine, but for home use the less expensive units will still last ten years and more while remaining trouble free.
The NAPA unit comes with two large pneumatic wheels and a handle, lean it back and roll it anywhere.

Stairs are awkward with close to a hundred pounds going up and down, but relief can be had by stopping on any step and resting.

A unit that is too large can always be throttled back. Too small a unit can only be replaced.

Latest posts

Latest posts