What's new

i need a easy way to raise my reservoir a few inches?

wantaknow

ruger 500
Veteran
i had mine on 3/4 inch plywood the same size as my rez and put 360 casters on it ,so i could pull it out some to clean it ,it was under an e and f table

T

TREE KING

i had mine on 3/4 inch plywood the same size as my rez and put 360 casters on it ,so i could pull it out some to clean it ,it was under an e and f table

if i had a hardwood floor id do the same thing

ijim

Styrofoam sheets. You can cut out a notch where your drain is. And have good insulation from a cold or warm floor also. Just cover it with black plastic to keep the UV from your lights deteriorating it. Cheap and simple.

T

TREE KING

Styrofoam sheets. You can cut out a notch where your drain is. And have good insulation from a cold or warm floor also. Just cover it with black plastic to keep the UV from your lights deteriorating it. Cheap and simple.

oooo shhhh! where can i get those from?

samba

How about Styrofoam, the one used in building. I live in a cold country and here you can get it from any hardware store in like 100mm/4' thick sheets. It about 1000mm*1200mm.
It can take like tons of weight on it, spread evenly. And easy to cut room for your drain valve.

Pic found with google
http://www.rcreptiles.com/blog/index.php/2007/02/01/traveling_with_your_pet_ball_python

EDIT:
Should of read the tread before posting, sorry

T

TREE KING

How about Styrofoam, the one used in building. I live in a cold country and here you can get it from any hardware store in like 100mm/4' thick sheets. It about 1000mm*1200mm.
It can take like tons of weight on it, spread evenly. And easy to cut room for your drain valve.

Pic found with google
http://www.rcreptiles.com/blog/index.php/2007/02/01/traveling_with_your_pet_ball_python

EDIT:

Should of read the tread before posting, sorry

yup thats them. im gonna go to home depot to see if they have them thanks

G

Groseph

I've had the same issue with styrofoam sheets under my res.

Stirring the res a little too strongly I had some water come up over the edge (not a lot). It manages to get under the styrofoam and stays wet...doing damage to the floor. Of course this is because at that time I'd have a full 55 gal barrel which couldnt be moved off of the sheet to dry up the spill. Water trapped between floor and sheet was no good.

I'd suggest going with blocks or wood stand that allows air to the underside of the res. A few bricks or blocks would be your best bet. It'll dry up easier should you have some water overboard around your res area.

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
whats up guys. i want to install a drain valve on the bottom of my 70 gal res and in order to do that i have to raise it up off the floor a few inches so theres room on the bottom. anyone know an easy way i can do this?

Walmart sells these things they call 'bed risers'.. they're 6 inches tall and 6 inches square at the base.. they taper up to about 4 inches at the top.. they're sturdy as hell. I use them when I need to raise a plant closer to my light. They come in a 4 pack and are about 7 or 8 buks a set.. I have a dozen of them and find endless uses for them. Hope this helps.

mgk :tiphat:

T

TREE KING

Walmart sells these things they call 'bed risers'.. they're 6 inches tall and 6 inches square at the base.. they taper up to about 4 inches at the top.. they're sturdy as hell. I use them when I need to raise a plant closer to my light. They come in a 4 pack and are about 7 or 8 buks a set.. I have a dozen of them and find endless uses for them. Hope this helps.

wow this is the best idea ive heard yet. im definitely picking some of these up thanks. i see that they have adjustable ones also so that makes it easy to not waste space and at the same time i need to also raise my tray now too so i it makes it easy to tilt it slightly to drain

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
wow this is the best idea ive heard yet. im definitely picking some of these up thanks. i see that they have adjustable ones also so that makes it easy to not waste space and at the same time i need to also raise my tray now too so i it makes it easy to tilt it slightly to drain

I've never seen the 'adjustable' ones. The ones I'm talking about a solid as a rock and I'm sure they'll take the weight of your res as long as you have enough of them. Might want to consider putting a piece of plywood over the risers and then set the res on top of the whole shebang..

I hope that you have not bought all this junk yet, as the answer is very clearly phone books

picture.php

put as many evenly spaced supports as feasable, 70 gallons is very heavy, depending on what res your using it can sag on the bottom where there is no support. ive had rubbermaids develop holes from the water pressure on the best of surfaces.