What's new

I love the hottest peppers!

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I'm using a dehydrator, low heat (has 2 heat settings) overnight (10-20 hours depending on size and flesh thickness) with the peppers cut in halves. then they are ready for the dried fruits/nut chopper or storage as they are in glass jars. I think any dehydrator will do, you just have to figure out how it will take for the peppers to dry in it after you buy it. And, of course buy a bigger one if you'll harvest many peppers at once.

shack

3ea7406ce662bb0cddebfe27dad71e70_923688.jpg
63c4dfa1ff8449d7bca4664ee2d37149_923689.jpg
da51a8576152745c476c1716152c982b_923687.jpg

Hi All, this is a very informative thread. I'm trying my hand at some Trinadad Scorps also. This is my first time growing peppers and am learning a lot from this thread. Haven't read the whole thread yet buts in on my " to do list".

Growcephus

Veteran
That looks identical to my Gypsies. Same pale greenish color and all.

Still waiting on the ghost to flower. It threw one flower a few weeks ago, then went into a crazy growth spurt..

Hungarian wax is my best guess based on pics I have seen online, and their amount of heat:

Hungarian wax

peppers.jpg

Gypsy pepper:

Gypsy_Sweet_Peppers_Seeds.jpg

The gypsy peppers appear to more closely resemble a bell pepper in shape, and are supposed to be sweet without the heat. Mine more closely resemble hungarian wax, and have the heat that is supposed to go along with them.

Whatever they are, they are tasty, have a nice bit of heat, and they are all flowering their little asses off now.

:biggrin:

All 4 of my "Bhuts" are starting to develop buds now, which rocks! I thought they would be the biggest pain in the ass to grow, and while they are slooooowwww, they have been THE most laid back "whatever" plants I have going on. No matter what I feed them, or how I water them, or where I put them, they maintain their leaves and their color, and just keep right on growing. Everything else has been WAY fussier.

Go figure.....

nvthis

Had a friend bring in some Lemon Drops today. Wierd lookin' pepper.. Got a little bite, but I don't think I am sold on the flavor.. The only thing I could liken it to is, like, pepperoncini or something.

Picked up a few at the farmers market this week. The grower claims these are Orange Jalapenos. Tastes like it, but lower on the heat scale. Trippy lil' dudes.

picture.php

Also found this little beast in the red jalapeno box. Cool!

picture.php

L

LuckyPunch

Them some nice looking pepper plants! Have you ever tried making some chili pepper water? Taste great on rice. Cheers

i use it with basmati rice yyummy

here a short recipe

Hawaiian Chili Pepper Water

4 -8 small dried hot red chili peppers 2 teaspoons rice vinegar 2 quarter-sized slices fresh ginger, bruised 1 garlic clove, peeled and cut into thin strips (or you can leave it whole) 1 teaspoon salt 2 cups hot water (not boiling)

Directions:

1 Combine the ingredients in a clean and sterilized pint (500 mL) bottle or jar. Pour in about 2 cups of hot water and let the mixture steep at room temperature overnight.

2 Refrigerate in the morning.

nvthis

anyone else read about this new "hottest pepper in the world"?

hp22b aka the carolina reaper?

Damn. That thing looks like 7 kinds of fucked up. That is one scary lookin' chile..

I just watched all the youtube vids for this and... I'll be the first to say it. Think I'd probably pass... Averaging over 2mil? Yeah, fuck that. Y'all can have this one ;)

What's scarier is the hints that there is far worse in the works to be released. Bet we see the world record swap hands over half a dozen times in the next decade..

Growcephus

Veteran
Soon enough, it seems like somebody will breed a pepper so volatile that when you put it in your mouth, your head explodes.

:)

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
pepper joe has free shipping this weekend... get there while you can

Arthritis_sucks

The Dude
Veteran
Those look Identical to the ones I had,.... and yes they were hot,... not just "Hungarian Wax". So Hot has Upright pods and mild has hanging pods?

my hungarian hot wax peppers in the front yard have upright an hangin peppers. I think the partial shade has something to do with it. The hotter the soil the more cas. is produced makin them hotter.

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Hotter meaning temp, or fert load?

My soil here SUX!!!!! But it is pretty well baked being over a mile up. Either way, most of my peppers are finally starting to finally produce well, now if only my damned tomatoes would ripen.

Arthritis_sucks

The Dude
Veteran
Hot as in temps. in the soil will make your peppers/chilies hotter. I had an issue one year where my jalepenos were like bell peppers, just weak as hell so i did a lil research an found that higher temps in the soil make hotter chilies/peppers. My fresnos in the front are not as bot as the ones in the back in full sun.

Easygrowing

Veteran
picture.php
just some ordinary Chilis-took some seeds out of chilies-from last year,for see-can they something-and in used soil-from the grow . ) and yes-they will something-get many pebbers on Her-and have another to-much bigger-but-no pebbers on it-until now-mabye they cant do it-to late now i guess-will take a pics of those-it,s a much different type-the other-but funny to grow-as all others-there can grow.
picture.php
there are many on it only in little pot
picture.php

Chili from swahili . )
picture.php

unt-der is die other.Cant remember-disen namen.something wito Co into i remember.purple flowers-He has.
Buyed her only for the flowers colours-so some hempplants and clones and so-are mixed around-so neighbours-cant see-what im doing-have make lots of chiliplants and gives them to neighbours-so they knows-he doing in those ahaaa-why he going around and takes pics-also : ) and 2matoes-kiwi,s and all there can grow-i grow-an hobbie and for confusing-pisky neighbours-cant get anyone-noway.
picture.php

Kiwiplants also good to hide behind-it will take some curruiosity-have had those for 2 years now-no fruit until now-dosent matter-just grow so many different as possible-and,is nordic country-not like overthere-with long warm summer-but others,gets fruit on those-here in Little DK.but it,s about pebber-true.

Last edited:

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
What would be the best type of light to put over very hot pepper plants, t5's or hps? I'm going to be putting my bhuts and trinidads, maybe my scotch bonnets to finish, indoors in a couple of weeks and I'm going to buy a light for them. Just not sure which would be best.
I need to overwinter them because they wouldn't finish here..guess I'll have to wait til next year to taste searingly hot peppers!
Here's a pic showing some unripe Indian Jawalas and cayenne peppers. The Jawalas are brighter green, while the cayenne is dark green. They are about the same hotness, but the cayennes have a better flavor, I think. The Jawalas are kind of bland.
picture.php

Growcephus

Veteran
What would be the best type of light to put over very hot pepper plants, t5's or hps?
View Image

I've got a Bhut in coco rocking 12 / 12 under my 600W HPS with my AK's, and it LOVES the light, and is starting to put out a bunch of flowers. So if you don't mind the electric costs, the HPS would be the preferred option IMO.