What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I love the hottest peppers!

M

michael68

Alright well about a half hour after eating it, it wasn't so pleasant.

Bad stomach pain and slight dizziness, almost puked. Maybe I should have had food with it/something else caused it?

kryson

Hi Guys! I love to grow and Breed hot peppers.

I have successfully bred a bhut Jolokia to a Sweet green bell to make what I call Fire Bells.

Our outdoor season just started so the plants are very small right now but will post some pictures up later in the season.

Someone asked about drying. I dehydrate my peppers in a food dehydrator or i dry them in screens for weeks at a time. Once I am sure they are 100% dry I can them. No need to keep salt or anything but the peppers in the jars. I have jars of dried hot peppers from over a year ago and they are still like new.

I usually grind the dried peppers up and put them in shakers and use it as a meat rub or sprinkle on my eggs.

This year outdoor I have

Thai Hot peppers
Bhut Jolokia
Many varieties of jalepenos and habeneros
Aji Cristal
and a bunch of breeding projects I have done.

M

michael68

Nice man, is oven drying and sun drying fine?

Also the bhut jolokia powder I bought is quite nice.

A little goes a long way and it produces a pleasant warming sensation.

B

bonecarver_OG

sun drying is good for thin skinned chilis. chilis with thicker and meatier walls need some help not to mould during drying.

personally i think sun drying is really crappy, since its almost impossible to see the white fine fluffy mould inside the chilis once its dry, and it definetly isnt good for flavour or health.

i prefeer vinegar but its a taste thing :) nothing like some fine spanish cherry winegar for making a kick ass salsa..

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
because once the capsaicine is in cristaline form i think it seems very scary to work with. as far as i know its handled in laboratories with whole body and breathing protection. one tiny cristal in ur eye or ur lung can propably be too much...

peace

just so happens i watched a show on tv the other day where they were working with liquid capsaicine.

they were wearing respirator masks, eye/face protection, long sleeved clothing and gloves during parts of the manufacturing process...

B

bonecarver_OG

:) i can see why!

this autumn i plan to try to smoke and dry chilies too :) lets see if i get less mould chilies this time. i will open up all chilies before smoking and drying. this time i think i will add some silica gel in a paperbag in the bottom of the dried chili jar.

we got high humidity in autumn..

:D

D

dramamine

I completely agree with you, bonecarver..vinegar brings out the flavor and fruity character of chilies like nothing else. You guys have the best vinegars in Spain....I love to use good Spanish sherry vinegar.
....also, if you pickle the peppers in vinegar, you can just puree the peppers with some of the vinegar to make a nice thick hot sauce, too.

This thread always makes me hungry.

B

bonecarver_OG

I completely agree with you, bonecarver..vinegar brings out the flavor and fruity character of chilies like nothing else. You guys have the best vinegars in Spain....I love to use good Spanish sherry vinegar.
....also, if you pickle the peppers in vinegar, you can just puree the peppers with some of the vinegar to make a nice thick hot sauce, too.

This thread always makes me hungry.

hehe I agree 100% on everything :) sherry vinegar is awesome, but i also like to use white wine vinegar sometimes. specially if the chiles got a nice colour, the clear vinegar lets it show better :)

i sometimes pickle also in modena vinegar, but its really strong in flavour, and the colour is really dark, the flavour is nice together, but the colour might ruin some salsas :D

hehe i gotto go eat something...

peace all!

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
butch t

IMG_3920.jpg

took a little more than 2 weeks. after a little over week or so of nothing germinating,i put them out in the 90* garage and 3 germinated within 4 days

M

michael68

My Cayennes are about an inch long now, some are still just flowers though.

How much longer do you think it will take for them to mature? (the one's that are already about an inch) And how will I know?

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
And how will I know?

Simplest way is color. I pick cayennes when they are bright red.
Some varieties like jalapenos can be picked both green or red as you prefer taste-wise.
Generally speaking more mature peppers are sweeter and hotter.

Cya

=K

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Eat one! if it tastes bitter,, then they aren't ready yet.
once they get hot, we start to slowly crop/eat them.
many varieties do however get hotter with age on the plant.

peace n peppers

HighDesertJoe

COME ON PEOPLE NOW
Veteran
Funny story here well not for me lol
I was the "The Plant Man" at a large garden center for years and during our busy spring season sold lots of veggie packs,except this one 4in pack of a HOT chili.
I took care of it all summer and it had one perfect red chili on it.
I wanted to try it SO bad but didn't have the man berry's.
The day came to trash it helping me was a CUTE HOT<pun cashier who dared me to eat it.
What's the harm I though it's RED that makes it SWEETER right? HAHA
Within 15 seconds of biting into the innocent pepper I had the hiccups and needless to say I spit it out and everything went down hill from there by rubbing my watering eyes then I washed them out in the bathroom I forgot to wash my hands so need else to say my pecker
burned the rest of the day.
LESSON LEARNED

supermanlives

Veteran
i did that too. when visiting fanuel hall in boston i visited a hot sauce shop. they had samples with a tiny spoon. i tried em all and wasnt impressed. i told the girl behind the counter the stuff wasnt even really hot and i live near mexico and eat the hottest peppers. she proceeded to pull a 4 pack of bottles from behind the counter, i unscrewed the cap poured out a drop into the spoon and sampled it . nothing for like 15 seconds than boom real heat baby. i next rubbed my eyes and felt the burn . last person didnt wipe the cap off i guess. could barely see for an half hour as my eyes kept watering . beware of daves insanity sauce. lol. i will wear gloves when i harvest my b huts. hotsauce .com has pure fire 16mil crystals. gonna order some just for fun

Last edited:

g0vnaa

ICE Cream eater
Veteran
Here are mine Habaneros.
Very small :X I transplanted them too late...
Hope they find time to grow and I get some nice hot fruits :ying:
When do they start to flower ?
I heard veg time matters not the photo period. Is that true ?

picture.php

B

bonecarver_OG

govnaa - goodluck mate :) im sure within a month or so they should be flowering. but you should nip of the first flowers :)

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
trinidad scorpion
picture.php

pequin
picture.php

jamaican hot chocolate habanero
picture.php

peruvian white habanero
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts