What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I have Old Seeds from the late 80's into early 90's

MarineOne

I have found another shipping cooler in my basement from yrs gone by, lots of old seeds , the container is a Styrofoam shipping box like food is shipped in. Been sealed and in a basement that never goes over 68 degrees. and not too dry.
Any chance they may still be viable? I am able to smoke again and I want to grow these babies out finally.
Thk You for any and all responses, not sure where I could post this and please move to the correct area if it needs to be.

Abdthi1966

Premium user
I have had good luck with mycelium inoculant powder, pretty short soak, and then im not usually for gadgets but there's a Vivosun digital control heat matt that was only 30$ on Amazon that I really like. Personally, having digital temp controls with a probe was nice, it really dials in the birthing environment for the little buggers.

Mithridate

Someone on here did a side by side with multiple methods, the usual stuff - kelp, peroxide, gibberellic acid etc

The one method that beat all others, no contest, was throwing the seeds on top of worm castings in a worm box.

Other methods averaged 10%
Worm box 67% !

I've seen a modified version of this using worm castings in a domed tray, also worked very well.

I inherited a few thousand 1993 seeds in 2020, germination was very low and I couldn't source castings for some (cough) reason, so had to experiment a bit..

What gave me vastly better results is zapping the seeds with a 12v battery using a 12v connector from an alarm clock, I put the seeds on a wooden spoon and touched both wires simultaneously on top of each seed for a second then soaked the lot in water+rhizotonic for 12 hrs. Then I cracked each seed along the seam and planted them. Watered some rhizotonic in and bam.
Weird I know haha

My friend has a method with 350 steps he used to resurrect some 70s vietnamese black, I haven't tried it but he swears he'll never be scared of old seeds again. I'll look for it and post it if/when I do

MarineOne

Someone on here did a side by side with multiple methods, the usual stuff - kelp, peroxide, gibberellic acid etc

The one method that beat all others, no contest, was throwing the seeds on top of worm castings in a worm box.

Other methods averaged 10%
Worm box 67% !

I've seen a modified version of this using worm castings in a domed tray, also worked very well.

I inherited a few thousand 1993 seeds in 2020, germination was very low and I couldn't source castings for some (cough) reason, so had to experiment a bit..

What gave me vastly better results is zapping the seeds with a 12v battery using a 12v connector from an alarm clock, I put the seeds on a wooden spoon and touched both wires simultaneously on top of each seed for a second then soaked the lot in water+rhizotonic for 12 hrs. Then I cracked each seed along the seam and planted them. Watered some rhizotonic in and bam.
Weird I know haha

My friend has a method with 350 steps he used to resurrect some 70s vietnamese black, I haven't tried it but he swears he'll never be scared of old seeds again. I'll look for it and post it if/when I do
I love it.
1704496812542.png

linde

Carbonated water mixed with hydrogen peroxide with 80°+ temps is your best bet. Unfortunately the seeds are way too old but give it a try anyway. Unless seeds are store in the refrigerator or freezer they don't last much over 6-7 yrs. Dont believe the BS about people spouting 30+ yr old seeds. It just doesn't happen.

Abdthi1966

Premium user
Linde, while 98 percent of the time you’re right, where’s your sense of wonder? The most spectacular things have happened that directly contradict the notion of 6-7 years shelf life. For example, in the early 1900s British archaeologists dug up to Tutankhamens tomb and found sugar snap peas amongst his things, that were dispersed between the families and eventually germinated in England where they went on to be preserved. In fact I now have a couple that I’ve grown and eatin because of their effort. Can you imagine how many wonderful strains have been lost or potentially lost because someone simply assumed non-viability and chucked them? A little effort and luck go a long way. Just food for thought.

Abdthi1966

Premium user
Carbonated water mixed with hydrogen peroxide with 80°+ temps is your best bet. Unfortunately the seeds are way too old but give it a try anyway. Unless seeds are store in the refrigerator or freezer they don't last much over 6-7 yrs. Dont believe the BS about people spouting 30+ yr old seeds. It just doesn't happen.
Your method with the water hydrogen peroxide and high temps sounds like a promising method.
I read on the internet old seeds can’t be sprouted so it must be true. I also read on the internet old seeds can be sprouted so it must be true. Take your pick. Definitely don’t give up on them...
Lol

Mithridate

To relegate the months of headache of finding something that works and the following backbreaking outdoor work to save a line to BS is a bit harsh 😁

This bish has a long life ahead.
20231119_161638.jpg

Orange is alright too 👌
93 orange (1).jpg

PapalLegba

Hey Devil Dog, i just joined this forum and your post immediate jumped out at me. I work in Mental Health with Veterans outside of the VA, and have been doing over 15+ years of learning what strains etc. help and also which ones do Not help with PTSD, anxiety, depression, pain management, sleep, and of course all the combinations of above along with our other long list of ailments. I had to move from Oregon to Minnesota and now the MN laws just opened up so i am starting back up! I am really looking to try and gather a few specific early generation seeds to start protecting to use as medicine in the forms that i am familiar with and some that i feel the need to get and protect to be able to provide. If there is any way that we could get in touch I would greatly appreciate it. And any other good souls out there reading this that have something to help and contribute. Quick example was I am restarting my quest to find as early of generation and pure as possible of the original Romulan strain for starters.
Semper Fi

Old Piney

Ok I've grow out old seeds from 1993 but the were frozen and dry . The were a bit changing. There's a lot of good discussion here and I agree a sterilizing H2o2 wash and a lighter h2o2 solution soak is good. The seeds are weaker and susceptible to infection so it's important to keep it sterile. I use a promix perlite mix with some light nutrients and water .I sterilze it in small Mason jelly jars in a pressure cooker and start right in the jar .you gotta give it a go good luck

Last edited:

OleReynard

Hey Devil Dog, i just joined this forum and your post immediate jumped out at me. I work in Mental Health with Veterans outside of the VA, and have been doing over 15+ years of learning what strains etc. help and also which ones do Not help with PTSD, anxiety, depression, pain management, sleep, and of course all the combinations of above along with our other long list of ailments. I had to move from Oregon to Minnesota and now the MN laws just opened up so i am starting back up! I am really looking to try and gather a few specific early generation seeds to start protecting to use as medicine in the forms that i am familiar with and some that i feel the need to get and protect to be able to provide. If there is any way that we could get in touch I would greatly appreciate it. And any other good souls out there reading this that have something to help and contribute. Quick example was I am restarting my quest to find as early of generation and pure as possible of the original Romulan strain for starters.
Semper Fi
Welcome back @PapalLegba

Latest posts

Latest posts