What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I have harvest questions.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
I have a plant that might be ready for harvest soon. Most of the trich on the fan leaves are amber and the buds have mostly clear/cloudy.

I was going for both cloudy and amber trichomes. When should I harvest this one?
20231125_202935.jpg
20231125_202932.jpg
20231125_202927.jpg
20231125_202914.jpg

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
I am sure that you’re tempted to take those flowers down now because they look beautiful but I assure you if you wait at least another week it will pay off in great dividends regarding the quality of smoke. I like to get at least 30% Amber on the flowers before I take them down. .. do you flush your plants before you harvest them

SubGirl

420club
I agree cheese. Those buds are beautiful. i like to see a a bit more amber on the buds. Don’t look at the sugar leaves or fans. Just the flowers. Look at all of them on the plant too not just the ones on top. Prolly another week would help like boo said. Beautiful buds tho, I know you’re excited 😊

Ca++

I would have then down now. All the white hairs have turned. There are no new ones. Growth has stalled. This puts a real limit on how much new is being created, while you still have losses of what you have. The type of product you want is an influencing factor. If you want to get high, then get it down and into the dark. If you want to get stoned, leave it up to degrade some more.

In my book, it's past it's best. However, I suggest you chop half now, and half in a week, and see what you think, for next time.
As a 7 week guy, another week needs to give me 15%. You might be at 10 weeks, and need 10% more, for another week. Praying that an aged plant doesn't loose the battle to mold.
It's hard to say what your targets are, but it's not getting meaningfully better now.

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
I am a fan of a heavy high in couch lock, that’s why I made a comment that he should let it run longer. If you chop it down now, you will get more of a cerebral high then you will body stone. It all depends on what your desires are.

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
why not harvest a few buds every other day for the next two weeks and then dry and cure them all and have your own laboratory and do some personal R & D

sample each bud and then make up your own mind on which stage of ripeness you prefer

then The next time you grow that particular strandivar you will know exactly when to harvest it to your likings

what does it smell like?

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
I am sure that you’re tempted to take those flowers down now because they look beautiful but I assure you if you wait at least another week it will pay off in great dividends regarding the quality of smoke. I like to get at least 30% Amber on the flowers before I take them down. .. do you flush your plants before you harvest them
I'm gonna let it go the one more week like you said. Like i said im going for both amber and cloudy trich. And yes, I do flush at the end of flower cycle and have been flushing for at least a week or 2 so far. Because I want the cleanest taste. Heres two shots of the india cheese. Next is the sativa cheese. Both are from the same bstch of uk cheese seeds.
20231127_141320.jpg
20231127_141556.jpg
20231127_140841.jpg

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Use the 70 day rule before you even think about harvesting. It's rare for plants to be dont before this. There are a few but they are easy to spot and tell. It never hurts to let them go a bit longer. It can hurt the quality a lot if you take them too early. As long as the majority of the heads are cloudy you can harvest. This is still the best indication of ripeness. I also look how many of the pistils have turned colors. If the plants are still mostly with white pistils it's not done. These are always the 1st signs the plant is ripening.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Use the 70 day rule before you even think about harvesting. It's rare for plants to be dont before this. There are a few but they are easy to spot and tell. It never hurts to let them go a bit longer. It can hurt the quality a lot if you take them too early. As long as the majority of the heads are cloudy you can harvest. This is still the best indication of ripeness. I also look how many of the pistils have turned colors. If the plants are still mostly with white pistils it's not done. These are always the 1st signs the plant is ripening.
Well said. Listen!! I rarely see a plant finish before 70 days. You will get a nice buzz but it won't last that long.

My problem is anything that runs over 10 weeks has a tendency to start showing nanners. Especially 11 to 12 weeks!

Ca++

I have not been to 70 days in decades. There are cup winning plants, producing over half a Kg per meter, in under 50 days. 8-9 weeks is getting most productive plants finished. Pushed to 70 days (a figure that has me agog with cold feelings of despair) Many plants are going to throw some new growth out the top. Making the canopies pinnacle of achievement, into bin fodder.
We now know it's Cheese, an 8 week plant known to chuck bananas and faux fox tails. Also it's been flushing two weeks, so the suggestion is that it's 10 weeks old.

My position on the matter may be solitary, but it avoids risks that don't buy much anyway. The main one being an elderly plant, that's not been fed in weeks, having to fight off mold. Though right now, it doesn't look that old or starved. People think it looks tasty. A product worth having.

linde

Nice looking bud. Remember now that amber means THC degradation. Also the plant will still ripen as it is drying so you harvest with 20% amber you may end up with 40 or 50% amber when dry. Overripe powder buds is what you'll get. Hate to see you wreck such nice looking buds by over ripening them.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
Do you get the purple from your lights? I want a smoke it...
Yes, this batch is regular colored plants. The purple is from the light. I have a mix of purple and regular light all led. Also, I've been adding cold ice to the soil. 🥶

I've been checking the trichomes every day And as soon as the flowers have just a few Amber, I'm gonna harvest.😁

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts