What's new

I have an apartment inspection on monday!

Norrath

The letter states:

On monday 16,2009 between the hours of 2pm and 4pm, EACH AND EVERY unit will be entered by the owners inspector. You do not have to be home during these inspections. sorry for hte inconvenience yadda yadda.
my friend in the building said it's to check the thermostats, as we haven't had any heat for the last week; or intermittently at best.

enclosed in my bedroom, i have a DR120 tent, all the ducting, 6 foot wide closet with equipment and nutes and such, a mother cabinet about the size of a fridge, 2 veg shelves and other assorted grow paraphernalia . Part of me wishes i stayed stealthy, but who can argue with the results of a micro factory!

if they are truly only here to see the thermostat, couldnt i, in theory, unplug the fan, the smelly flowering plants go into rubbermaids, and put them on the patio, as they wont be inspecting the bedroom? but the part about the OWNER'S INSPECTOR, sounds very official. Sounds like they will be thorough. But then if theyre here for the thermostat, and 2 hours isnt a lot of time to seek every apartment, why the hassle of tearing it down and stressing the plants?

- i was thinking of putting a lock on the bedroom door and not tearing everything down.. i think this is the most rash and foolish scenario.

- rubbermaid the flowering plants, and even the vegging plants, putting them on the patio in a neat stack up against the wall(it wont look out of ordinary with my tools and rubbermaids already placed sporadically) (i guess i could store the rubbermaids in storage too, doubt theyre looking for something, just checking thermostats!)ill then tear down the tent and roll it up into a sausage and hide it under my sheets,(where i will stay up all night long sunday night and ill sleep in all day till they leave. I will even leave a note stating im sleeping, i work night, inspect as you please, give the onus to them to disturb me or not) then ill tidy the bedroom up, hiding all the obvious stuff, and moving things around to look normal.

ANY THOUGHTS/ EXPERIENCE?! time is of the essence folks!!

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
I would put a lock on there and say the room/mate wife/girlfriend has the key and leave it at that.

If they push for it let them know that they can reschedule on another date and make sure and have them there or have the door unlocked.

I doubt they need to check to make sure the vents in ALL rooms work because that isn't the issue.

Odds are a pilot light issue or themo BUT nothing dealing with room ducts. Now is the main breaker in that room though? Only reason I can see them NEEDING to go in there.

Another thing, you may THINK your apt doesn't stink but you are used to your own stink SO cook bacon or something else that is potent JUST IN CASE.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
If you can rubbermaid/etc. all your smell issues and conceal most of it otherwise, ja go for it. I would probably try to rubbermaid or otherwise temporarily wrap up ALL the plants, as just because the ones in veg don't smell much to us, they might smell plenty to someone that never touches the stuff.

Your plan sounds solid. It sounds vaguely paranoid, but that's a good thing in these cases. It's always way better to go over the top in avoiding a problem then to try to fix it once it occurs. I would probably just throw out some masking scents (oil diffuser, maybe cook something smelly around 1pm, something like that) just to be on the safe side.

Oh and if you have paraphernalia around, hide it. Nothing's better than taking 3 hours to take down a grow and forgetting you've left a big jar of bud and a bong out on the kitchen table.

Norrath

GREAT idea about hte bacon. what else is there that isnt bacon? because i like my night owl approach, sleeping all day is nice anyways, and being there to deny access is that much more ammunition on my side. i would be so fubar if i worked on monday.. phewf.

it's a one bedroom apartment, so i doubt there is a good reason to have a lock on there, it can be done, but i dont like it. these look like electric base board heaters, and the main breaker is in the hall right next to the thermostat, and the door to the bedroom:/ that door CANNOT be opened whilst strange people are aloft. they will get blasted with plant smell. it really isnt that stinky in here, finally got it manageable, but it's tight rules on door privileges:p

thanks geo, could use all the advice i can soak up:) yeah paranoid...i cant wait to leave this apartment, it has to be the WORST spot for growing. i wont get into it, but im being quite bold..to say the least

medmaker420

Veteran
My girl has the key to the room, leave it at that then.

On the "not letting them in thing"....

do they have a key?

If you try and do the no entry thing they will reschedule WITH you on a day YOU can and will be there.

I suggest getting it over sooner than later. Who alerted them to the faulty thermo in the first place?

Bacon works great, onions are another one like burritos or hamburgers.

GREAT idea about hte bacon. what else is there that isnt bacon? because i like my night owl approach, sleeping all day is nice anyways, and being there to deny access is that much more ammunition on my side. i would be so fubar if i worked on monday.. phewf.

it's a one bedroom apartment, so i doubt there is a good reason to have a lock on there, it can be done, but i dont like it. these look like electric base board heaters, and the main breaker is in the hall right next to the thermostat, and the door to the bedroom:/ that door CANNOT be opened whilst strange people are aloft. they will get blasted with plant smell. it really isnt that stinky in here, finally got it manageable, but it's tight rules on door privileges:p

Norrath

we havent had heat in over a week, so it's pretty cold in the whole building and im sure more than one person has complained. I would never complain, i have a grow.

medmaker420

Veteran
we havent had heat in over a week, so it's pretty cold in the whole building and im sure more than one person has complained. I would never complain, i have a grow.

Just making sure it wasn't you who did it was all lol...

I suggest getting it over NOW versus trying the "sleeping" idea. If you are that worried then removing them would be a good thing, outside however IF they have to go on the roof (not sure how your building is setup) they will smell them sitting outside whether in bins or not.

I have done the locked door routine and also the "I am not there and you can't go in" and they tried to use the key they had for my unit. Thank god I changed the locks on em lol.

Norrath

they look like the electric baseboard heaters i grew up with, but i know those are extremely inefficient, so you could be right, might be hot water...

but theyre allocating 2 hours to inspect and do their work to all the suites in teh building, 3 story decent size apartment block

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
another smell option is pinesol on any solid floors (lino, tiles, hardwood, etc....)
and an assload of glade plug-ins
good luck!

Uncle Remus

If your so worried about smell, then i"d say you have to rework your setup...Growing smells (ala weed) in an apartment is a death sentence IMO...I also grow in an apartment and the way my setup is I have NO odor whatsoever...Sooner or later your going to get the unwarned visit from the landlord or some trades person of somesorts...Now if your apartment smells because your weren't "warned" and someone has to enter to work or something, YOUR TOAST

Not sure what floor your on, but being on the top floor of my building allows me to vent into the attic of the building...Simply cut a hole in the ceiling, attached the duct and blow all the exhaust (scrubbed of course) into the attic...Make sure you keep the cutout for the hole so you can reuse it to patch the hole when its time to move...I've had 15+ people and relatives at my place for the holidays last year and none were the wiser...I keep the door closed, but thats only to keep the temps cool and to hide the fan noise...While my setup isn't TOTALLY stealth, there is 0 smell, and I run some DANK-ASS shit

Now if your forced to exhaust right back into the same room, then your going to have to upgrade to a bigger scrubber/fan combo...Gotta make sure there is sufficient cfm with the right sized scrubber to remove ALL of the odor

Having a setup that needs to be torn down/setup everytime someone needs to enter is gonna get you busted one way or another

Norrath

mine doesnt smell either, but when i start rummaging around in the bushes it tends to get plant-smelly in there/bedroom.

some older fellow i take to be the owner came by just now and stated theyre moving the inspections to wed around 10am. this was going to be a week of getting shit done, and now ive moved TWO appointments to be here when they tend the thermostat/baseboards.

though i managed to rubbermaid up all the plants, stacking them in my vehicle in the parkade last night. made sure it didnt smell. the tent went into the closet neatly(although i have NO FRICKEN IDEA how to fold that thing up again to fit in its neat carry bag... it wont work. i shudder at thought about folding a larger than 4'x4)

the smell never really was, it was just a humid plant smell, contained in the bedroom, but now matches the apartment smell, which i have been told, smells like a mens' washroom. thanks ona..../sarc

anyhow, it all went accordingly, even had some bacon, onions and perogies ready for cooking up while the joeblow is looking at my thermostat. i was thinking id also play some decent heavy metal, not obnoxiously loud, but prevalent, just to get him out of the apartment faster - shame on me if he's a metalhead haha. i should just play rap, no one likes....*ducks for the flying tomatoes*

anyhow, just wanted to thank yall for the criticism and good ideas. i dont think my operation:flying anteater would have been as successful...

ps. im also going to take this in stride and build my set up better, though i cant think of much for improvements, maybe fewer bends in the ducting would be a good start.

Norrath

okay, so the inspection was slated for this morning, i made all these smelly things for breakfast, and they never showed. i even steamed coffee for awhile in a pot on the stove to stench up the apartment of home brewed strong coffee...

they finished the inspection not 3 minutes ago; three men in their senior years trotted in, each chanting apartment inspection! in some germanic accent. i wish they had accordians and suspenders, that wouldve put my brain into cardiac laughter.. should not have had that special brownie today either:/

it was pretty funny, i was doing my rounds of the apartment at about 1:10 when tehy showed up, just at the time i noticed some plant like smell in the bedroom starting again, since there is no carbon scrubber working.

when i get back up and running illl build a perpetual log with pics...

mission successful, through much trepidation...

entertainment purpose:
picture.php

picture.php

i FILLED up the closet to the brim!
picture.php

Norrath

still?

ps. youll just have to imagine rubbermaid tubs placed randomly about the flat.. they walked by so many plants without even knowing about it. phewf.

A

alpinestar

GREAT idea about hte bacon. what else is there that isnt bacon?

popcorn (smelly and fast)
blood sausage (smells the entire place up like shit - literally)
steamed vegetables such as brussel sprouts asparagus broccoli etc (stinky veggies)
if all else fails burn something in the oven so the place smells like a fucked up dinner idea

bad smells also help keep people from sticking around too long