What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I have a question about blooming food.

Ca++

It's quite early to be making rope out of it
rope.jpg

The amount of balls in that pot, I would call it hydro. I'm not fond of adding balls to anything tbh. If it needs balls, it's not suitable. The more advanced grower can start mixing up their own stuff, but for a learner, it's better to buy a known good substrate.
I just buy stuff known to be good, and use it. I know I'm not a soil professional, because I worked in the labs of a company who were. I know the work that goes into providing a nation with good consistent bags of black stuff, that get reviewed by all the gardening magazines. I would be an absolute joker to take the right product, and say I could make it better in my shed.

Compost/soil feeding is easy enough. You just don't do it. You increase pot sizes incrementally, each time there is a hint of more food being required, or the plant gets quite a lot bigger than the pot. It's only in the finals that a need for feed, must be met by other means. If you are feeding during the potting up stages, then their is an availability issue, rather than lack of food.

Still looking at the temps, I see the wall looks damp, and wonder how cold the floor is. It looks like you are on the ground. Strong healthy plants are easier to attain, if the weather is right.

I think this different mix for every plant has confused me. The hydro plant, with it's red stalks and stripy leaves, is probably what I saw and said Mg. As a soil feed won't provide much.

I would ditch the fabric bags to. They don't work with the need to pot up, and are far too dry looking. Plants go in pots. That is what your soil is formulated for. If you add drainage, and then use fabric, it's not the same soil anymore. Which is extremely unlikely to be an improvement.

mexweed

Veteran
The grow area looks like it is crammed into a corner with some fans and there probably isn't actual fresh air being exchanged

The plants were probably transplanted into those big pots when they were too small, and it is happy frog soil which has crappy drainage/not enough perlite in it, it is a common practice to mix happy frog with a higher drainage medium such as the light warrior or to add perlite

Basically the roots are constantly flooded without proper drainage

And the light looks like it could be one of the old blurple style LEDs that can work for 1 large plant but not multiple

Edit; not sure what the deal is with the one looking like it has all perlite on top, is there soil under it?

Old Uncle Ben

Basically the roots are constantly flooded without proper drainage

Yes, drain holes are necessary, kicker is, if he had a good mass of foliage and root mass there wouldn't be an issue regarding wicking off excess moisture from the root medium. The plant will take care of it.

In all of my 50 or so years of gardening I've never had a problem with a pot holding too much moisture.
UB