What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I feel such a failure

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I just don't know. The list of what I have tried is endless. I feel it would just taint discussion to say what I think it isn't.

It starts with stripes a bit like Mg. Then a lightening and burnt bits a bit like K or N. I can loose the edges but they don't crisp, they go brown but stay soft like P. So N-P-K-Mg and I have loaded up with iron. Foliar fed in quadrants using mono nutrients.

This is 14 days in. Signs started about 10 days. Later buds will form, but the hairs go from white to brown during week 4 and it all just stops. In pics the canopy looks fine but they won't continue.

Feed is something like 150-75-185-175-65 a couple of days back. P and K are coming in, today around 85-205 respectively and it's spreading

fail.jpg

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I chopped the last one out at week 6 as I had enough of it. That fixed it for a couple of weeks, but here I am again.

101 says it's mobile. Good leaves from the middle are going bad.
I think I can forget burn as it's so localised where it spreads, except the hairs going orange then brown very quickly.
My N level is fine in veg and up to a week in, when it's use is diminishing. I can't see it being N. At 120ppm I would get drop, 165ppm can be too much. I'm in the goldilocks zone found from lots of up n down.
They like P and elevated levels seem to slow the browning and staling dates, even offering some recovery around 100ppm on an otherwise stalled crop. I started this at 20ppm then 40ppm in days, but stayed there till about day 8 when I started heading up to reach 100 tomorrow. This coincides with things going wrong, but from past logs makes no different at this point. My intention is to be around 130ppm in a week, then head back down to 100. Based again on logs.
K looks likely. This plant has been getting 50ppm more from today though. Roughly 250ppm. I never do well with PK boost, it's thought to burn the hairs and even crisp little buds on the main stem by the people around me. Just with a day of bottle dose. So I avoid it like the plague. I have seen reports of some liking 240ppm while others didn't. I think I may be the odd one out and like grow food levels. ~170 with mine.
My Mg level takes a lot of reaching which takes my sulfur level to another planet. I see this using just calmag though. I would not be surprised to find I'm using too much of that. My best runs were using very little and just accepting the highly visible deficiency signs. Which might mean they are holding something like K down.

I said I wouldn't go and, tainting advice. It's doing my nut though

TdotGonG

Stop worrying buddy, the rest of you're canopy looks fine tbh. You will always have some leafs that just die. wouldn't worry to much, You should see my plants lol... I over feed P.Sil all the time and over feed phos-acid cause their my buffer's for my R.O before mixing in solutions. got burnt tips all over like its a bad haircut, no problems with bud development or anything else. Honestly you're plants make mine look sick haha from visible comparison.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
That's my second worst leaf. Today it's progressed and will carry on doing.

Attachments

• photo2033089.jpg
    photo2033089.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 36
  • attach17818166.jpg
    attach17818166.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 42

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
This is my worst

Attachments

• photo2033093.jpg
    photo2033093.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 32
  • attach17818169.jpg
    attach17818169.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 40

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
It's proven unstoppable so far. I can tell you just where it will occur first geographically, before I even put the plants in. It starts where air flow is lowest, but it's marginal. You can see a fan that's blowing about this leaf. Both are on the same plant though, in the stuffiest area. Calcium movement can show in many ways, but my calcium isn't exactly low. Though in fairness I have not bumped it crazy high to watch. I have sprayed a few with calmag though which didn't seem effective.

I found one of them rare useful links today. It confirms my estimation of N requirements isn't that bad. It says P should be fine. It says K could be higher but isn't terrible. I know my cal and mag aint bad and my rooms ok. Today I dropped to 300w per meter, giving 20,000lux so a bit dim. It still continued. I have tried sulfur levels and the whole fe zn mo.... group.

They are going to die.

You can see a leaf resting on the woodwork. Today it's got olive tips of P but I must confess I ballsed up. This plant was the one getting extra K. Or was it. For some daft reason I had taken runoff and bumped the K and put it back through. Quite a bit of it. However runoff? It should of been from the tank. The runoff is presumably depleted so putting in 50ppm wasn't any sort of boost. I was bad.. I didn't want to recalculated the tank for 10% missing. 10%... like that's difficult maths.

They are dying in front of me and you just can't see it yet. Choking perhaps but that plant got a right good flushing with that runoff. Which is the same ec as supplied, so they are still eating. For the next week..

It's week 2 to 5 this advances (of 8). I have been thinking I cured it, but its just a calendar thing when it stops. It's surely to do with the reduced need for N and increased need for P and K which is all books really speak of. I will chuck Mg into the equation though as it's flowers, and Ca as it can look like anything really. K or Ca is all it can really lack, but to increase Ca I must increase K and I'm frankly scared of K from past trials.

Here's the link I liked. It's worthy of it's own thread to group such links together and chew the rind
https://www.cannabisbusinesstimes.co.. .rus-potassium/

I might PM G.O JOE. He's impressive..

Last edited:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have balanced K and N before, watching them push the other out, back n forth. I think I must go with a K bump, as the N is high and the Ca is the more common thing to relate K with, and they are rather close. I just fear the result of this more than any other mistake.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Sod it... having 150-125-242-175-79 tomorrow. I reckon it will be too hot. It's a right concoction.

60/11 calmag from tap
18ml of calmag N2.6 Ca3.2 Mg1.2
15ml of my 1.5% Mg Epsom
7ml of 7.2% P from the Mono range
5ml of PK 14/15 (6.11/12.5)
2ml of potsil 9.13% K
3ml of my f-e mix=50% more than my base provides
63ml ionic bloom as my base
2ml of 20% Nitric ~ 7% N

9 liquids, 1 headache.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hey man, I'm no expert when it comes to nutes, but rather than trying to add the right thing, have you tried backing off on everything ?

St. Phatty

Are they growing in Rockwool, pebbles, CoCo, soil mix, aeroponics, or ?

I've seen sicker plants in some mediums get fixed just by flushing & backing off on nutes.

What is pH of run-off ?

Sorry if I missed the data, there's a lot of numbers.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
are you in soil? probably a stupid question but have you eliminated rootbinding? i find nothing really works as it should once the roots are in contact with each other rather than soil..

VG

GoatCheese

Veteran
What nutrients you are using? Are you mixing your own feed from single NPK nutrients?

I have no issues with my BioBizz nutrients in soil and coco under Cree cobs in bloom, but I don’t use the BioBizz feeding chart. I change the Grow – Bloom component ratio every week during bloom and most plants need only 50% or even less of what BioBizz recommends in their chart. For the last weeks that I give my plants nutrients I substitute some of the BioBizz Grow with Plagron PK13/14 so I can cut down the Nitrogen levels.

For my coco plant I use 0.1 ml of pH Down/1 litre of water and I have not even once measured the pH and my coco plants seem just fine …so far, that is. I usually grow in soil. But we have fairly stable tap water over here. The additives I use are Hesi SuperVit, BioBizz algae and some fulvic powder every now and then. BioBizz TopMax after 5 weeks of bloom.

0.5ml/litre of Canna CalMag for both coco and soil grown plants every nutrient feed (plain water every 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]-4[SUP]th[/SUP] watering for soil plants) and some Epsom salts once in few weeks
-
-
If it’s any help, here’s my feeding chart for medium feeding plants (like Afghan Kush, G13NL, Black Domina, Blueberry,C99, UK Cheese hybrids) per litre of water in flowering (in potting soil):
..i'm still tinkering with my feeding abit but it isn't too far off anymore

NPK values on the BioBizz bottles
Grow: 4-3-6
Bloom: 2-7-4

Plant harvested after 11 weeks of flowering:
Week 1 : Grow: 1,8ml – Bloom: 0,2ml
Week 2: G: 1,5ml – B: 0,8-1ml
Week 3: G: 1,3ml – B: 1.3ml
Week 4: G: 1ml – B: 1.8ml
Week 5: G: 0.5ml – B: 1.5ml + Plagron PK13/14: 0.5ml
Week 6: G: 0.3ml – B: 1.5ml + PK13/14: 0.7ml

After that, for the last 5 weeks of flowering I’ll give them pH adjusted water and BioBizz TopMax but no NPK nutrients any more to get nice fade/yellowing at harvest time.

For my hand watered G13Haze in coco I have given even less BioBizz Grow and Bloom than that(the same amount I give it when grown in soil and it seems just fine after 4 weeks in flowering) but I don’t know when I will cut the NPK nutrients yet for total of 12 weeks In flowering, cause it’s the first coco grow I have done in years, and I’m not sure how fast the fade will happen

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
GMT Yes I have done a low feed run and had the same result but yield was down 25%
jackspratt61 I have also thought a general salt issue could be to blame. I have over 50% runoff and flushed just a few days ago. It doesn't seem likely but I'm in the market for some drip-clean (my shop was out) so only have some wetter. I used that one day, just one, and saw the issue still advancing. It should help feed uptake so I stopped as I don't need another change like that when I'm struggling already.
St. Phatty It's used coco. EC coming out was a little lower than supplied, but leveled out a few days ago and today they got 1.6 and 1.8 came out. That is quite a lot when I'm over 50% runoff. I can generally reach 2.0 but any higher I must flush. Which is done weekly anyway. The tank is pH 6.7 and runoff 6.2 typically. I have been lower, one cycle was pH5 with no change to this particular issue. I have also been higher, though only 6.4 runoff by choice and over 7 when thing got out of hand about 5 runs back.
VerdantGreen coco here, and have doubled pot size to no avail. I couldn't say they were not root bound, but fed twice a day when they could about get through on just one, does give them fair access to food.
GoatCheese I started putting your feed into elemental numbers but guess that's your soil regime. Being in coco makes weeks without feeding impossible, and on your feed weeks you get some from the soil I can't quantify.

It's odd, but these signs appear in certain locations first. The two leaves we see are on one plants and another of the 8 has a bad leaf. This leans towards disease but that 3rd we don't see is right at my intake almost. It doesn't fit the usual pattern of a leaf in the canopy far away from the intake like the two we have seen. Having no shops for a couple more weeks (lockdown) keeps me from things to clean up the roots. My tank has a bit of a niff to it, but not the runoff. I'm unsure what to buy tbh as I have no experience with such things. I reckon there is a liquid brand leader and then the white shark.

If this were a tomato I would be thinking calcium or magnesium. I have a fair bit of both, but that thing about where it first presents is going to be low in transpiration. While the one near the inlet is a freak occurrence and may be cold at night, or low RH, up tight about loosing water, who knows. It's not typical though.

I will get todays pic up when I have scrubbed the metadata. You will see it marching forward. All the extra PK did was some stretching, but I need the pics together for verification. It might of had a negative impact we can see.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I'm feeling the sodium idea. sodium can replace up to 90% of the K, it's the only swap that I know of. If I drop K then they will eat the sodium. In doing so, I wonder if the stripes would occur as they can be K deficiency. I know the product of swapping K for Sodium is soft buds that will likely rot away but it's interesting. What bothers me is that I don't have a way of reducing the sodium. I don't even know where it would be coming from. Look at this isolated leaf though. Relocation of a mobile element? I'm really going off that idea.

I wonder if you can see the pair of them in this overall shot. Air comes in back left(ish) and these are front right. This leaf points rearward and the worst leaf points to it's neighbour to it's left.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Bit more light maybe..
Click image for larger version  Name:	16a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.7 KB ID:	17819168

Some leaves at the front are misshapen from when the curtain is drawn

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Oh... it progressed a lot. Perhaps it is sodium and it couldn't play K. Low K tomorrow I think. Back to around 200ppm.
I think I will omit the PK completely. That's 63ppm less K and 33ppm less P which is just stretching them anyway. I will save Calcium while I look what numbers other people are using.

Thanks for the support guys. Especially flylowgethigh who would of had this fixed days ago :)

Latest posts

Latest posts