What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I do love a good cup of Coffee

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Life's too short to drink Maxwell House or instant coffee..

2 cups every morning; freshly ground French Roast..for the past 40 years....

Moderation in everything....

Breadwizard

I do miss living in the San Francisco bay area and having a Pete's nearby...thats some good java too. They had opened one in the city where i live now but sadly it only lasted about six months

I live a couple of blocks from the original Peet's location, which is still kicking, even through covid. I end up getting coffee beans there, even though I prefer Blue Bottle or Verve. The Guatamala San Sebastian from Peet's is some pretty good stuff though, sipping a cup now.

I usually brew in a pour over with a paper filter, or in a big French press if I have company over. Iced coffee I prefer Vietnamese style with chicory and condensed milk.

I even have a coffee plant that I keep in a window, although it never fruits.

mexweed

Veteran
the reason I use the mesh strainer and pyrex measuring cup is because of the multiple bodum/chemex pour overs I have broken, the pyrex I have knocked off the counter and it has survived and it was like $8, vs $20+ for some thin fragile bullshit

T

Teddybrae

Aussie coffee ... flat white ... organic full cream milk + very strong Lavazza Gold (Italian) at about 9am ... then another about 11am. Maybe Honduras or Ethiopian this time. Spoiled for choice here in Oz.
How much is coffee in the wondrous U. S.? Here beans AU$20 per kilo and up for boutique blends.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
- Making coffee making VERY simple -

- one stainless steel coffee filter -
- one jug - and one cup -

- put filter on top of jug -
- add ground coffee into filter -
- add boiling water on top of ground coffee -
- wait 5 minutes - pour into cup from jug - Ahhh - <drinks the hot/black coffee - no sugar, no cream/milk to adulterate the taste>

- minimalistic coffee making by GN - lol

ChinggisKhaan

Mmmmm coffee. I love it so much that I roast my own. I buy green beans and use a hot air gun and an old bread machine. 15 min later, the freshest coffee. I really like Yemen beans followed by an Ethiopian and from Sumatra.

I use a conical burr grinder and a french press. Been roasting for over 16 years and wouldn't want to go back to commercial beans. Coffee gives off CO2 for about a week after roasting. That means canned coffee is stale before packing and that's why you see the one-way valves on the bags.

I learned most of the basics from sweetmarias dot com. A good place to learn, thay are all about home roasting

buzzmobile

Veteran
wow, 10# a month ...how many 12oz cups is that a day?

I would never be able to sleep lol

I'm good for 1 or 2 cups a day at most, usually just one and then sometimes a cup of Decaf in the evenings

I don't even try to count her consumption. I drink three cups in the morning. She sleeps very well. I would be a sweating, jittering mass of a human if I drank as much coffee as her.

What a woman!:laughing::woohoo:

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
How much is coffee in the wondrous U. S.? Here beans AU$20 per kilo and up for boutique blends.

I get fresh roasted for 12$ a pound 2 for 20$ at my local shop.

@Breadwizard....Man, that sounds delicious
"Iced coffee I prefer Vietnamese style with chicory and condensed milk."

St. Phatty

Coffee - another industry that depends on slave labor.

which right now is dealing with Covid19.

i suggest keeping extra coffee around.

how many of you save the coffee in the bottom of the pot etc. in a jar, then re-heat it when the jar gets full ?

sometimes i put prepared coffee, with cream & sugar in the jar. that is not a good idea. does not last long.

and since we're pot-heads ... a lot of us have Canning jars to use for our extra coffeeeeeeeeee. :gday:

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
During summer months, I make my french roast coffee and pour it into pint jars about two thirds full...

I add a little more sugar and half and half than normal, and refrigerate it...

Shake the jar later and pour over 1 or 2 ice cubes...Delicious!

Absolutely no way I'm gonna spend $3 at the store for one of those little bottles of cafe moocha or whatever they call it...

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Been using a hand operated burr grinder since the 1980's.

I have had several heart attacks yet the doctors (more than one) tell me it is not coffee that is the problem so go ahead.

Age and decrepitude have me where it sometimes takes both hands on the crank arm to grind the beans.

My tokes of concentrate are getting smaller and smaller but the coffee chaser is still full bore, just not near bedtime anymore.

Breadwizard

After the 3rd. one crashed, I went back to an electric drip style :eek: I adore coffee but am not
a connoisseur by any measure.

The worry about breaking them is what keeps me from getting a chemex. The pourover I have is pretty heavy duty ceramic, made by bicycle coffee, and it's been dropped a few times, with hardly a scratch!

I have a bit too much coffee paraphernalia, a few sizes of French press, Vietnamese coffee pourover, my ceramic pourover, two sizes of moka pot, hand crank burr grinders (a modern, and a couple classics), and a few pouring kettles.

I'd love to get a proper espresso machine with a nice milk steamer (I used to work as a barista), but the price and size for a good one keeps me from jumping in.

White Beard

I cant do black anymore, just too hard on my stomach, I do some cream and honey or sugar. Nothing but 1/2-n-1/2 for me, none of those flavored or fake creamers.

and yes>> French press is the best Coffee I've had, I have a GSI outdoors French press, it's really for camping but i use it at home too ...it's a great little press

just like this one

[URL=https://i.postimg.cc/mrT1zXz4/GSI.jpg]View Image[/url]
*Nice* press! I have a new one, double-walled stainless steel - no more broken $20 carafes!!!

With you on the plastic creamers: *hate* that shit; used half and half for a long time, but went through too much too fast - a carton of cream lasts longer and tastes better. Used to use honey, don’t use sugar anymore. My body doesn’t react to sugar too well; molasses OTOH my body thinks is *food* - which it pretty much is: cane juice with the “sugar” crystallized out.

White Beard

Aussie coffee ... flat white ... organic full cream milk + very strong Lavazza Gold (Italian) at about 9am ... then another about 11am. Maybe Honduras or Ethiopian this time. Spoiled for choice here in Oz.

Boutique/varietal beans are expensive here: $20US not uncommon. I’ve indulged myself with coffee for a long time now, find that I prefer a solid daily cup over an occasional expensive specialty. My Costco blend makes an excellent cuppa...and only $5/lb.

Since my burr grinder burned itself out, I have to grind a 3# bag all at once, so I rush home and transfer it into pint mason jars (10 to a bag). Holds up *very* nicely, though ground fresh will probably always be better. Will replace the burr grinder someday, I hope.

mexweed

Veteran
french presses leave the cafestol in the coffee which is bad for cholesterol, and beans that aren't roasted properly have the carcinogenic compound that forms when starches are exposed to heat, the longer the roast the more of that compound cooks off, there was a national institutes of health study done on this that for the life of me can't find, but it's a reason to only drink high quality dark roast and never use a french press

shiroshi

ICMag Donor
Hey Breadwizard,

Good to see you are a coffee fiend also.

I guess one should kind of expect weed heads to be into coffee too.. they seem to fall under similar lines of smell, taste, pleasure...

I have to second ChinggisKhaan's suggestion - for those of you who really want to geek out on your coffee I too would suggest checking out Sweet Maria's. They are an Oakland based shop that specializes in selling small batches of green beans from all over the world. It gives you a chance to try out some very specialized coffees one would otherwise not be able to access. And it is surprisingly affordable since you are roasting yourself (though some of the high end coffees can be crazy priced even as green beans) You can start roasting your own with very simple equipment, but one can dive really deep into the process also. Lots of info on their site in regards to process, tasting notes and equipment. Just be sure you live in a place with good ventilation and turn off the smoke detectors when your roasting!

Cheers!