What's new

Hygrozyme - How to use it?

if you buy hygrozyme to clarify your rez than you are for sure wasting money as that isn't what its for. what it is for is to break down stuff in your rez, and you're not going to see that happening. If you don't have stuff in your rez than you don't need it; but everybody has stuff in their rez

maynard444

if you buy hygrozyme to clarify your rez than you are for sure wasting money as that isn't what its for. what it is for is to break down stuff in your rez, and you're not going to see that happening. If you don't have stuff in your rez than you don't need it; but everybody has stuff in their rez

Yes, I understand. I have worked with Fungus and Microbes in laboratory settings professionally. The only reason I was using hygrozyme is to break-down dead plant material. It did not work well at all for that.

I wasn't using it to un-dirty my rez, but sometimes the biosludge builds up, and I like to clean the system while it sits in place. I have 8 centers per system with 4 foot plants in them and a 30 gallon res. I am not going to hand wash the system every two weeks like I did with the single cell DWCs.

This pond clarifier I am using the same as the intended purpose of Hygrozyme.

I know it is not killing the bacteria/mold/fungus/yeast which end up in the rez specifically.

It's intended purpose from what I gather is just to break down the dead plant material so "pathogenic organisms" do not have a chance to snack on it, multiply, and destroy your root system. Supposedly the biproducts from the enzymatic reactions produced by the break down of old plant material are easier for the plant to adsorb due to the fact they have been broken down to their lowest elemental components or something (i.e. N,K,Ca,Mg.Cu).

If your res is clean, i wouldn't use it. I use the clarifier as a preventative to make sure I don't lose one of my plants.

K

kooldave67

I used this hygrozyme in one of my grows and its crap. I also have doughts with budcandy but this is only my first grow using it. I do believe that calmag is a good idea to hydro grows,I use it in every 3rd watering and I see a lot less issues from grow cycles to finish. Just my two cents.

Bassy59

I've used Hygrozyme religiously in RDWC for 7 grows now, going on 8. I never have issues with it and will continue to use it. Root rot is NOT caused by hygrozyme, EVER.

In every single dwc-rdwc that I personally have answered posts to (I'm far more active in another forum) in regards to root rot, they all had temp/air issues. WATER temps.

Bad shit grows above 68f in your water. If not controlled, you get root rot. It's as simple as that. I had root rot ONE time, and it too was because of water temps. Now I run rdwc and a chiller. My water temps are a constant 67f. I add Hygrozyme as a routine part of every feeding/nutrient replenishment. Ever since adding the chiller, root rot just isnt an issue.

I only run the chiller in my flower tent. So for my entire veg cycle my plants are in 5 gal buckets that are placed into larger tubs that hold a water bath. This water bath gets ice jugs every day and cools the nutrient solution nicely. I tried adding ice jugs directly into the buckets one time with disastrous result. The ice jug will float and make contact with the roots, freeze them and break them off. Since placing in a bath outside the bucket it works great.

Occasionally in veg I may forget or just be lazy and not replace the ice jugs in the bath. This isnt a good habit to be into, but rest assured, if there has been any small amount of development of bad shit growing, odds are very high that the ice jugs will cure it within 1-2 days, and hygrozyme will make that crap become plant food.

I am in the process of expanding my grow to two tents in flower set one month apart. The first thing I bought was another chiller. Water temps being held in check in dwc-rdwc just can't be talked about enough imho.