What's new

Hygrozyme for soil/soiless - Great results

maryjohn

Veteran
We are getting to the same page here I think. My intension was to explained how well it worked in relationship to my methods. Not explain exactly how Hygrozyme is made. I agree the blend is vaguely explained by the manufacturer. Most of us are familiar with specific ingrediant fermintation however, and how this can produce desirable enzymes in the form of humic acids, including primarily amino acids. All which asist microbial life in doing their job more effeciently with less exerted energy.

Many growers struggle to maintain balanced healthy substrates indoors - as I've mentioned. I'm pleased your confident at keeping yours alive. For those of you who do occasionally feel like a boost is needed or who have suffered from root insects or disease I still recommend the hell out of Hygrozyme. I also add beneficial fungi and bacteria. I've done comparison grows with it and without. My results - I use it in addition to my nutes in every application. Check my "Nute Study" out.

we are not on the same page at all. you still haven't established you aren't a shill, you are spewing more bullshit by the second ("... specific ingrediant fermintation however, and how this can produce desirable enzymes in the form of humic acids, including primary amino acids"? it can protect from phyloxera?). In my previous post, I was being sarcastic. This is getting surreal.

And now you grow with microbes, when the website states the whole purpose is to accomplish what microbes do in some way without microbes. "growing clean" it says. No microbe deficiency? No need for over 100$ a gallon snake oil.

You know how I keep my microbes from dying? Water.

jmansweed

Just for the record - I'm absolutely down with all this discussion. Stoned Crow is dead right. The last thing I'm looking for is props. I truely look at my experiments and the feedback process as a learning experience.

jmansweed

It doesn't protect from root aphids - it helps in sterilizing the wound basically. Bullshit? fermintation of specific ingrediantes = specific enzymes. In regards to soil, enzymes are made of acids. What and How am I confusing you? Microbial life is essential, important, imperative - all the above. I agree it's incredibly important. I HAVE GOOD RESULTS WITH HYGROZYME. Whats your deal. The stuiff works for me. Try it - don't try it - whatever. But don't argue with my results. I'm not lying dude, just sharing the results.

Stoned Crow

jmansweed - Like I said on page 2 of this thread, I couldn't find a whole lot of information about it on the website. Specifically, what are the contents listed on the label? And a rough approximation of how it is made. I can't compare shit until I know what it is and how it came to be.:tree:

EDIT: If you have already started another thread on this, Please post the link so I can click it. I don't know why I have such trouble with the search function here, but I do. I searched for the thread you talked about on Page 2 of this thread, but I couldn't find it.

G

Guest 88950

I'd like to see a run of this vs. some properly brewed compost tea applied once a month and a good soil properly cared for so the microbes don't die.

so the microbes dont die. i think that the OP's post was trying to get across that Hygrozyme would be beneficial when you do not have a properly cared for soil and therefore the Hygrozyme would do what the microbes would do in a better soil.

just my observation and to put it out there i suck at growing right now so im no expert.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You use hygrozyme during flowering and those us with discerning taste will know. Never use in flower.

Jmansweed - I know I've seen you on other forums before - doubt he's a shill.
It's great to have such diverse viewpoints and robust discussion but can be a little confusing for us newbies. Jmansweed, are you on any other forums? I have a couple questions / dilema for you. I would like to grow in soil with little to no runoff. ON HAND I have a good amount of botanicare nutes (pbp grow and bloom, liquid karma, cal mag, a jug of hygrozyme, great white and then some stuff from Green Air (Genesis 3 part system and liquid sand.)

Recently I have been playing with blazeoneup's soil recipe (pro mix, mg organic garden soil, perlite and amendments) and really liked it but my plants are yellowing at five weeks 12/12 and not in a normal nice kind of way - they start out with some big black splotches on upper leaves then all the leaves follow and die in rapid succession. NOw, I have been adding a little of the botanicare nutes, mainly as ph down but the soil mix is meant to only veg 4 weeks and some of mine were much longer becuase they had issues to start with. THe mix definitely turned around some sick looking plants but I'm scared to add the hygrozyme to it because of fear of burning or overloading on the nutrients that are there and not letting them "time release." Also, when I do add the hygrozyme to my water it affects the ph (down) do you adjust the ph after adding the hygrozyme (from 7.5 to 6.5 at 8 ml / gal with my tap water.) ANy recommendations any of you have would be much appreciated. I'll check out your other thread too. Again, my goal is simple with as little runoff as possible - I'd even like to bottom feed as I'm using smart pots and they really wick it up from the bottom.

SUbscribed now.

jmansweed

Overmyhead. You have seen me on a few different sights. I promise I'm only pushing products I've had success with. There's no agenda here. I appreciate you taking the time to read. Theres allot of good info here.

In reference to your fertilization issues. It sounds like your experiencing some defeciencies. With-out pics it's hard to diagnose. I had similar issues with my mother plants. They used some nutes up faster in the amended soil than others. Therefore it was difficult in developing an appropriate dose of fertilizer. I wound up adding a balanced solution with a bloom boost. It turned out to be pottasium. I also had underestimated how much the plant actually uses in regards to food. Simply feeding them helped in my situation substaincally

Hygrozyme will not adversly effect this nor will it improve your issues. It more helps in nutreint avaiability and root health. I add it to my plants all the time - including amended soil. I'll test pH after adding it but find it has very little effect on pH. (We may have different dissolved solids resulting in different reactions to the solution)

maryjohn

Veteran
so the microbes dont die. i think that the OP's post was trying to get across that Hygrozyme would be beneficial when you do not have a properly cared for soil and therefore the Hygrozyme would do what the microbes would do in a better soil.

just my observation and to put it out there i suck at growing right now so im no expert.

it's not hard, all you have to do is add water. Then the microbes stay alive.

To the poster seeking not to have runoff, microbes are the answer, not enzymes. You need someone to pick up you nutes and guard them.

I use something like LC mix with dry nutes added. I water without spilling most times.

jmansweed, we are still stuck on: which enzymes and what they do (humic acids have nothing to do with this that's just random), and whether or not a bottle of activated EM has the same ones. Those "specific enzymes" as you call them, without ever specifying. You are plugging something that is over 100$ a gallon and no details- what it is, or what it does.

jmansweed

MaryJohn,
Clearly you realize the company Hygrozyme - as mentioned - does not list the exact ingrediantes and therefore I won't pretend to know which enzymes and amino acids are included. Typically however, I think it's a good guess to say that the grain fermention process produces a number of enzymes including diastase, α-amylase, β-amylase, β--glucanase, and many - many more. All which are specifically good at decomposing cellulose and stiffer material into availables sugars. Enzymes are relatively job specific and therefore companies typically provide many different types. I'd imagine the enzymes included here are quite diverse. This is the same with amino acids. You almost always will find a blend of amino acids in one product (many of which also are included within Humic acids). In most microbial rich teas for example there are many forms of microbial life. All which will use different enzymes and amino acids to do their job. The diversity is the key to it's success.

As far as keeping microbes alive. I think adding a little more than water is appropriate in most conditions. Keep in mind this experiment was used with a soiless, peat based medium. No nutreints were mixed to the soil. I feed my microbial life in addition to using enzymes. I believe in using both in this scenerio.

Many enzymes and/or amino acids created in this process are developed with a pH of 6.5 to 7 and over. This means that in the typical acid loving environment Marijuana thrives in much of the microbial life that normally would create these enzymes are not prolific. Adding them can have it's benefits - as I saw in my results.

Does your activated EM contain the same enzymes and amino acids? Truth is - I have no idea and havn't claimed to. I'd think that if grain fermintation was included in the manufacturing process than it probably does.

Remember only a small application is needed with Hygrozyme. Roughly speaking 12 plants under a 1000 watt light will use about 30 ml each or 360 ml total. That's about $12.00 of Hygrozyme total per cycle under my schedule. It goes a long way for the money.

W

W.P.

I have gotten really good results with the zyme BUT also seems to cause the Brown Algae in hydro . Seem to get good results w/ 3 mill gallon in Hydro, In Coco absolutely keeps roots most happy!

Just wish was more stable in Hydro.

maryjohn

Veteran
Put a piece of bread in your mouth. Don't swallow. Notice how it gets sweet? That's amylase in your saliva helping you break down the amylose in the bread into glucose. Want to add some amylase to your grow? Spit in it. Glucanase - that only works on glucans. Neither amylose nor glucans are cellulose. I am not sure why you keep throwing out these terms without first checking google.

My point is as you say - the contents of this product are unknown. I say that's probably because it is something simple and easy to produce at home. Grain fermentation, by the way, says little about what is inside. Any grain will do. It's their food source. What we need to know is which organisms are making what. Then you can brew your own.

I'll stand by my position that hygrozyme is an obvious con, on the grounds of not being for real, or being vastly overpriced. The high price, taken in the context of faux technical speak coming from the manufacturer, fits the standard pattern too well.

W

W.P.

You ever use it? Sipco is a world leader of zymes one of the handful company's that actually makes them, since the 70's i believe. It does work very, very well just can be problematic in hydro.(I ran it for over two years before ever having one of those ' incidents' , though". Really great to use when transplanting as it will eat any organic matter and prep the Coco. Then your good to go for the whole grow , in hydro you got to add every week.

Example table w/ Hygrozyme roots covering whole table, nice and white. Table no zyme minimal roots coming out of 5.5 pots , still white not quiet as pearly though. Sometimes i skip the zyme early so as to keep the root 'problem' under control.lol

jmansweed

Keep researching MaryJohn, all those things are also involved in grain fermintation and soil chemistry. Youre right, they are also involved in the digestion process, they have dence populations in rumenant animals specifically - helpfull in decomposing starches and cellulose into sugars. Those are only some of the enzymes involved here. And they do have relevance in soils.

I mentioned I'm not sure what the ingrediants are and I'm not claiming to. What I do know is whats involved with the fermintation of some grains and how amino acids work. Both of those things are mentioned on Hygrozymes websites - I'm through going in circles here. The stuff works for me. I'm assuming you havn't tried it. I suggest you do and then decide if it's an effective solution. As far as producing something similar I'd start with oat bran, barley or even rice based experiments. Thats just a guess to. Only a suggestion. Best of luck

maryjohn

Veteran
Keep researching MaryJohn, all those things are also involved in grain fermintation and soil chemistry.

yes, but they don't break down cellulose. I was calling you into question as a source. A casual reader would have thought you know what you are talking about. It's not the case.

Maybe you aren't a shill, maybe you are. I'll never know for sure, so I make an educated guess based on your behavior.

W.P., if someone is offering to send it to me, I will try it. I don't throw money at my grows.

Kaneh

I've done couple experiences with fermenting carrot and watermelon.
They are supposed to be good source for enzymes. Papaija is also good, but we dont have those in scandinavia. (well, we do but quality is superlow and price is superhigh)

I have the enzymes now in bottles, I haven't tested them yet, so I don't know if they are for any use. It's not "bacteria free", but heating woud do that if I wanted to.

Fermenting stuff is easy, why not try with grain next time... :chin:

Latest posts

Latest posts