What's new

Hygrometers: models you *should* buy and use

spurr

Veteran
Hey Spurr,

First off, thanks for all of the hard work!

How does one sync an accurate hygrometer to a dehumidifier so that it turns on when needed?

I know that this function is available in timers/meters offered at the hydro stores etc.

But how would you build your own?

I do not understand what you are asking. Is the hygrometer also a humidistat?

:tiphat:

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, a dehumidifier with Humidistat.

If the hygrometer can't be set up to control the on off function of the dehumidifier based on a specific relative humidity setting, I'm not sure what the point is 'cause I can't sit in my room all day and monitor it.

I know that Titan makes some of these environmental controllers, but I'm not sure how accurate they are.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
Ive got HygroSet II Round Digital Hygrometers

<$18 on amazon.
says:
Product Features

Easy-set calibration instructions
Humidity accuracy +/- 2-percent from 20-percent to 90-percent
Temperature accuracy +/- 1 degree
10 Second refresh rate
Product Dimensions: 2 x 2 x 0.5 inches ; 4 ounces

It has a magnetic back. They were also the highest rated digital cigar hydrometer on amazon.

51ChTSp-gNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I bought 4 a few months ago. They were all within 5% of the salt test when they arrived, and all held @ 74-76% after adjustment, and 24 hours.

(FWIW the salt test is simple. just put salt in a container and wet it down until its saturated, but not dripping. Place in a sealed bag, wait a few hours, and the rH will be 75%.)

Havent tested them lately, but if they are off, they are all off in the same direction, because they read the same.

Thoughts on this semi-cheapo adjustable digital hydrometer?

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well my model arrived, now I can fine tune my room!

and I like high quality Gerrman instruments ( abbeon ). it comes with a certificate that shows the testing on the model ( sticker matching sticker on back of model ) , date tested and checked off by two people, that's the way things should be made. to some it might be expensive, but to me, quality it worth it, when you have people that care about there products instead of producing cheap crap. I bought it off there actual website, abbeon . com

thanks again spurr.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
(FWIW the salt test is simple. just put salt in a container and wet it down until its saturated, but not dripping. Place in a sealed bag, wait a few hours, and the rH will be 75%.)

[/B]

shroom, can I ask how you calibrate such a small meter? I guess, as in is there a knob or some button you press to tune it in like on a scale?

I like the size, and need some small meters to tune in my curing knowledge

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
you basically got it.

Put the hydrometer in a sealed bag with the saturated salt.
Wait 6 hours.
Turn knob until its on 75%
Wait 6 hours to see if it holds.

spurr

Veteran
Ive got HygroSet II Round Digital Hygrometers

<$18 on amazon.
says:
Product Features

Easy-set calibration instructions
Humidity accuracy +/- 2-percent from 20-percent to 90-percent
Temperature accuracy +/- 1 degree
10 Second refresh rate
Product Dimensions: 2 x 2 x 0.5 inches ; 4 ounces

It has a magnetic back. They were also the highest rated digital cigar hydrometer on amazon.

51ChTSp-gNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I bought 4 a few months ago. They were all within 5% of the salt test when they arrived, and all held @ 74-76% after adjustment, and 24 hours.

Nice to see one's that can be calibrated. I do have some doubts about the claim of +/-2% RH accuracy though.

It can be better (more accurate to 75% RH) to use a proven quantity of salt to a proven quantity of DI or distilled water, in a proven volume of space.

I like those RH packs I posted, the one that gauntness close to 65% RH is the jam. That is what we should use when calibrating hygrometers, esp. for harvest and processing.

Havent tested them lately, but if they are off, they are all off in the same direction, because they read the same.

Thoughts on this semi-cheapo adjustable digital hydrometer?

Looks good that it can be calibrated, it looks better than the other digital RH pen posted in this thread. If I were to buy one, that is probably what I would buy, and in fact, I think I will buy a couple of them for jar testing of buds (my hygrometer is kinda big).

:tiphat:

Space Case

Veteran
Hygrometers: models you *should* buy and use

I swear by Oregon Scientific and have for years! Accept no substitutions!!

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you basically got it.

Put the hydrometer in a sealed bag with the saturated salt.
Wait 6 hours.
Turn knob until its on 75%
Wait 6 hours to see if it holds.

thank you man!! awesome, so small I can fit it in jars

EDIT: just saw this, looks like a new model? and it looks like you could cut holes in thee lid of jars to have the meter on the outside? correct me if I'm wrong guys, but that would be pretty cool to have lids with these so they don't get all gummy inside jars or reaching in and fishing it out if you have a small jar ..

ok, just saw this for curing, this is the ferrari of curing if I'm looking at it right

spurr.. I am tuning in my grow using the EOS 1 as you have, and I'm not seeing the 10 points off your model is. I find mine to be a little off, but actually not by much, just my side. did you ever write titan controls about this and there in-accuracy your seeing?

Last edited:

downtoearth

Just a bit more detail on the old method of calibration.
Just received one of these. http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Import...0301564&sr=8-3

To calibrate a hygrometer you will need:

1/2 cup table salt
approximately 1/4 cup water
coffee cup
hygrometer
large re-sealable freezer bag

1. Place 1/2 cup of salt in the coffee cup, and add the water. Stir for a bit to totally saturate the salt (the salt won't dissolve, it will be more like really wet sand).
2. Place the salt/water mix in a re-sealable plastic bag, along with the hygrometer, and seal the bag. Note: make sure none of the salt/water mix comes in direct contact with the hygrometer.
3. Let this bag aside at room temperature for 8-12 hours, in a location where the temperature is fairly constant.
4. After 8-12 hours, check the reading of the hygrometer. It is best to read it while still in the bag.
The relative humidity in the sealed bag with the salt/water mix should be 75 percent (mine read about 72 percent).
5. For adjustable hygrometers, adjust to read 75 percent. You will have to do this very quickly, or remember how much you need to adjust the setting (e.g. mine read 72 percent rather than 75 percent, so I would need to adjust the dial up 3 percentage points).
If yours is not adjustable, simply make a note of how "off" your hygrometer reads. If it reads below 75 percent, you will need to add the difference to your actual readings. If your hygrometer read above 75 percent on the calibration, you will need to subtract the difference from your actual reading.
For example: after sitting in the bag, your hygrometer reads 72 percent, when it should have read 75 percent -- a difference of 3 percent. you now add 3 percent to the readings you take on the hygrometer (e.g. in a tank) to get the actual relative humidity.
Remember: always give a hygrometer about 2 hours to stabilize before taking a reading, as changes in the relative humidity may take a while to register accurately on a hygrometer.

Latest posts

Latest posts