What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hydroponics store a danger to my grow???

A

Alone

I have to travel through 4 dif towns to get to the hydro store to get all my material.
A brand new Hydro Store just opened up down the street from me. Im afraid to go there since I live walking distance from it.
Is it just me being overly paranoid?........OR is it a safe bet to keep traveling out of town to get my stuff?
I dont need LEO seeing me going in and out of there.

frankenstein2

Astronaut Status
Veteran
You wouldn't catch me going to that store especially if your not in a legal place. The closest hydro store to me is 3 hours away. I have been there a couple times and I get geeked out when im there and im three hours from home. The dudes that work at this places always seemed like they were cops. Wanting to carry a single block of coco coir to my car like I can't handle it.(I'm in good shape, people often ask if I work out , I don't). I try to stay far away from those stores for that reason. Plus the prices are crazy.

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
NO way should you patronize that hydro store. You should just order online if you are not in a legal / med state. You will save money for sure, and you will avoid undue attention.

R.Fortune

I would definitely give it a wide berth if i were you!

My own experience a few years ago in my home town has made me very cagey, and i was not even buying from a dedicated Hydro shop....or even Hydro gear for that matter!

I used to frequent my local nursery quite a bit for my general gardening supplies, being the avid all round gardener that i am.
He stocks a real nice selection of all things 'garden' including a large range of Hydroponic gear....of which i have never EVER purchased any from him as i do not grow Hydroponically and never have.
One day i was in there gathering random bits and pieces...vegetable seeds, garden wire etc. when I spotted a tiny measuring jug on the nutrient shelf....something i had been meaning to grab for ages, so one went into my basket. A bit more perusing and a few more random items and i get up to the counter to be served. He starts ringing up my purchases, gets to the measuring jug, looks at me with a big shit eating smirk, thumbs his fucking nose and says "I don't need to ask you what you are growing young gun eh! Hur hur hurrr!"

I was fucking gobsmacked!

There are at least 5 other people standing there within easy earshot of what this cock jaw has just said to me, and i know at least 2 of them... being the small town that it is.
I couldn't fucking believe it! There was absolutely nothing in my purchases that you could specifically pin to any sort of covert growing practices and this absolute dead shit c**t has just called me out as a 'grower' in front of a roomful of people!
I thought fast....considered stabbing him....decided against it.....went for angry screaming match instead!

"EXCUSE ME?" Said with all the venom and indignation i could muster, which was substantial seeing as i was royally fucking pissed!
"JUST WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO IMPLY? DID YOU JUST ACCUSE ME OF GROWING DRUGS? I SHOULD HAVE YOU UP FOR DEFAMATION! DO YOU SAY THIS SORT OF THING TO ALL YOUR CUSTOMERS! MY GOD MAN WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?"
He looked like he had just been clocked up side the head with an axe handle....mouth hanging open, back pedaling, trying to disappear into himself!
"Oh, sorry mate...ur...um...i didn't mean to...."
"I DON"T GIVE SHIT WHAT YOU THINK YOU MEANT! YOU JUST ACCUSED ME OF GROWING DRUGS! I WANT TO SPEAK TO THE OWNER RIGHT FUCKING NOW!" Fully aware that the bloke i am tearing shreds off is the actual owner....but i gotta put on a good show right?
"Ah....i am the owner mate"
"DON'T YOU DARE CALL ME MATE AGAI..."
"Please...just calm dow...."
"NO I WILL NOT CALM DOWN! YOU HAVE JUST PUBLICLY IMPLIED THAT I AM INVOLVED IN A CRIMINAL ACTIVITY!"
"Listen ma...listen sir, I am truly sorry. I meant no offense and was only trying to have a bit of a joke."
"A JOKE? YOU THINK ACCUSING SOMEONE OF A CRIME IS SOME SORT OF A JOKE? ARE YOU SOME SORT OF A HALF WIT?"
"I am so sorr..."
"SHUT UP! I AM SO ANGRY AND OFFENDED THAT I CANNOT STAND HERE AND LISTEN TO YOU ANYMORE! YOU ARE AN IDIOT AND YOU CAN REST ASSURED THAT I WILL NEVER SET FOOT IN HERE AGAIN! FUCKING UNBELIEVABLE!"

:biggrin:

I have since learned that he had previously made similar comments to people in his store who actually were purchasing 'Hydro' gear off him... and after that they wisely no longer go to him!

Loose lips sink ships.....and that dumb pricks lips were near flapping around his feet!

A

Alone

Thanx alot guys. I thought it just didnt feel right going to this new shop. Ide rather travel 50 miles to a hydro store in a town thats far away from my town.
I know its a bit of a risk driving with 10 bags of FFOF soil in black trashbags and a 4' x 8bulb T-5 for 50 miles.... but hey.....I can always say its for vegetables starts right?
Its not illegal to purchase soil and a T-5. My mailing address is not where I live. I have a P.O Box that was got under a dif address than where I grow so Im pretty safe if the cops get snoopy about the soil if I got pulled over on the way home.

Although the new store is soooo close, Ive learned that the more convenient it is for you, the more convenient it is to get busted or ripped. The harder it is for you, the harder it is for the cops or rippers.

Lammy

My own experience a few years ago in my home town has made me very cagey, and i was not even buying from a dedicated Hydro shop....or even Hydro gear for that matter!

I used to frequent my local nursery quite a bit for my general gardening supplies, being the avid all round gardener that i am.
He stocks a real nice selection of all things 'garden' including a large range of Hydroponic gear....of which i have never EVER purchased any from him as i do not grow Hydroponically and never have.
One day i was in there gathering random bits and pieces...vegetable seeds, garden wire etc. when I spotted a tiny measuring jug on the nutrient shelf....something i had been meaning to grab for ages, so one went into my basket. A bit more perusing and a few more random items and i get up to the counter to be served. He starts ringing up my purchases, gets to the measuring jug, looks at me with a big shit eating smirk, thumbs his fucking nose and says "I don't need to ask you what you are growing young gun eh! Hur hur hurrr!"

There are at least 5 other people standing there within easy earshot of what this cock jaw has just said to me, and i know at least 2 of them... being the small town that it is.
I couldn't fucking believe it! There was absolutely nothing in my purchases that you could specifically pin to any sort of covert growing practices and this absolute dead shit c**t has just called me out as a 'grower' in front of a roomful of people!
I thought fast....considered stabbing him....decided against it.....went for angry screaming match instead!

"EXCUSE ME?" Said with all the venom and indignation i could muster, which was substantial seeing as i was royally fucking pissed!
"JUST WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO IMPLY? DID YOU JUST ACCUSE ME OF GROWING DRUGS? I SHOULD HAVE YOU UP FOR DEFAMATION! DO YOU SAY THIS SORT OF THING TO ALL YOUR CUSTOMERS! MY GOD MAN WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?"
He looked like he had just been clocked up side the head with an axe handle....mouth hanging open, back pedaling, trying to disappear into himself!
"I DON"T GIVE SHIT WHAT YOU THINK YOU MEANT! YOU JUST ACCUSED ME OF GROWING DRUGS! I WANT TO SPEAK TO THE OWNER RIGHT FUCKING NOW!" Fully aware that the bloke i am tearing shreds off is the actual owner....but i gotta put on a good show right?
"NO I WILL NOT CALM DOWN! YOU HAVE JUST PUBLICLY IMPLIED THAT I AM INVOLVED IN A CRIMINAL ACTIVITY!"
"Listen ma...listen sir, I am truly sorry. I meant no offense and was only trying to have a bit of a joke."
"A JOKE? YOU THINK ACCUSING SOMEONE OF A CRIME IS SOME SORT OF A JOKE? ARE YOU SOME SORT OF A HALF WIT?"
"I am so sorr..."
"SHUT UP! I AM SO ANGRY AND OFFENDED THAT I CANNOT STAND HERE AND LISTEN TO YOU ANYMORE! YOU ARE AN IDIOT AND YOU CAN REST ASSURED THAT I WILL NEVER SET FOOT IN HERE AGAIN! FUCKING UNBELIEVABLE!"

I have since learned that he had previously made similar comments to people in his store who actually were purchasing 'Hydro' gear off him... and after that they wisely no longer go to him!

Loose lips sink ships.....and that dumb pricks lips were near flapping around his feet!

I was in a grow shop once and I was talking quietly with the owner over to the side about an electrical problem I was having. at a point in the conversation I mentioned that when I googled the problem some information came up that related to some method of stealing electricity. an employee who was in the middle of a conversation with another customer overheard the words 'steal electricity'. and immediately says "DON'T STEAL ELECTRICITY YOU'LL GET CAUGHT" he said that so loud I couldn't believe it it just brought everything to a stop in the place. I'm just like "I'm not". what Am I supposed to do tell everyone that that was a freakin article i read on Wikipedia.

WelderDan

Veteran
My local hydro store caters to a lot of legit nurseries and such. Anytime I went, I never engaged the staff beyond "Did you find everything OK?", "Yes, thank you". That's it. They always offered me a copy of "Maximum yield" (a trade publication geared toward home vegetable growers), which I took with a thanks, and whatever free literature they had. I always knew in advance what I wanted, so I never really needed to ask questions.

I always asked for a bag to carry my purchase in and never walked out with armloads of stuff. (I'm a DIY guy all the way). Keep a low profile, don't ask any canna related questions, know what you want and you'll be fine.

mowood3479

Veteran
@ mtndragon.. Dont u think it made the situation alot worse by making a scene..
Im not a big fan of the lance armstrong reaction
Aka how dare u accuse me of doing illegal things (that iam actually doing)
Defensive much?
Id just tell the guy its none of his buisness what u do..
Telling people to mind thier own bizness works really well at least for me

LEDfoot

I'm legal in the most liberal county in a mmj state. I drive past multiple grow shops, patronizing ones further from me. I'm not too worried about LEO but I am worried about rippers.

B

BrnCow

If you go there, check out the area with binoculars and the outside of the place place for cameras...walk up from a different direction, if it looks sketchy, ask about the old standard - can a person really grow hydroponic tomatoes? How much does it costs? Gee that's high! Get some literature,and split...back the same way...at least you get a look at the damn place...might figure out before going if the people who work there live around you. IF they do, don't bother since they can figure out where you live and pinpoint you...

Lammy

if it is within walking distance your neighbors will see you or your car. they will make assumptions even if you ask about tomatoes

In hindsight I probably could have handled it slightly differently. Probably not too differently though, as he did not really leave me with too many other options....Pull my head in and try and slink away looking guilty as f**k? Possibly try and make some sort of half assed joke about it?
I was put on the spot in a shop full of people, some of which knew me .....word of mouth flies fast in a small town. I could not have given two shits what the shop owner thought i was doing...it was that he advertised what he thought to everyone in the shop. In fact all i really did was return the favour, and let him know what i thought of his tactlessly vocalised assumptions.

In the end, he was a dickhead and i gave him a serve for his stupidity. Right or wrong, it was how i dealt with it on the spot.....but the main point being that I quite justly no longer buy ANYTHING to do with my gardening (covert or otherwise) from anywhere close to where i live....people just love to chat!

A

Alone

Lots of good stories and info guys. Im glad I took council with you all.
After years of experience you just start to get those gut instincts, then wisdom and common sense take over to help with the final decisions.
Thank You. Ill avoid this place like the plague!

B

BasementGrower

ive found that GROW stores charge a shit ton more then a normal nursery or garden store.. shit. I found ffof for 14 a bag.. same with happy frog.. 14.. light warrior was like 10.. wen hydro store prices are 20-22 a bag? fuck that shit.

hereigrow

If you r in walking distance that's a plus. I have read about cops recording liscence plates in hydro shop lots. So walking takes care of that, i always use cash as well. It's not illegal to buy gardening supplies its all yhe other loose ends that screw you. You may be a little paranoid but paranoid is better than complaisent In this bizz I suppose....

A

Alone

If you r in walking distance that's a plus. I have read about cops recording liscence plates in hydro shop lots. So walking takes care of that, i always use cash as well

So true! There are State Police and Town Police that cruise through and around there all day long!!!
Plus its in a huge strip mall with another huge strip mall with a Big Y grocery mart across the street.
I dont think you would see me carrying a bag of FFOF soil back to my home. It would take 10 trips for 10 bags. LOL!
The cops would be sitting there like, "WTF?" When I say walking distance.... I mean 10 minutes.
I think it has cameras set up in there incase of a robbery maybe... but Im not absolute on that. I do know there are cameras in the strip mall parking lot. Can see them on the light poles. (scary thought)
Its a very big place with 2 big rooms. Looks so tempting to check it out but Im not even pulling into that strip mall. The cops around this area are extreme douchebags.
I dont even like going to the Big Y there. The people are stuck up rich snobs. I cant believe they allowed a hydro store in their preppy little town in the first place.

But I just cant take the risk. It takes but 1 time to get noticed driving from there to my apt. 3 driving minutes away.
Which brings me too another point........If the coppers see me going there, then decide to follow me, or see me going there, flag me as a person of interest, and then decide to pull me over everytime they see me because I "must have something illegal on me".
I dont need that! So I will continue to travel far and wide to get what I need. Where there are no cameras. Its a small shop. The owner is super cool. I pay abit more but safety is certain.

Last edited:

hereigrow

Ya i feel u on the 10 bags of fox farm... You def would get some stares trying to lug a raptor 8 through a strip mall..lol but the shop sounds like a convience for bottles of nutes or rockwool. U know smaller items. I personally go about things like I'm doing nothing wrong it helps take the edge off

offthehook

Veteran

"I am so sorr..."

After you left he must have told the remainder customers: Growing dope for sure! lol

Latest posts

Latest posts