What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hydroponic Research Vs Emerald Harvest

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have used HR for 3+ years, 2 by itself, and 1 by adding HRs +Size from mid-flower to harvest. My buds and yields have always been first rate, BUT, a soft voice inside my head kept whispering ... Cannabis's chemistry needs are a lot different during flower. I attempted to address this adding +Size, however, after 3 harvests, any improvement was negligible.

I began looking for a dry bloom formula to compliment V+B. I eventually stumbled upon NPK University and RAW Nutrients on YT. Harley Smith's tutorials are first rate

Funny thing happened visiting my local hydro store to buy some RAW: I have bought most of my equipment from them, sans lights. Lo and behold the President of Emerald Harvest and the Sunlight rep were there. The owner was listening when I asked his sales person about the RAW products, and suggested I discuss Emerald Harvest with the Pres.

You might know I am very finicky about my water, which is why I was attracted to HR in first place some 3- 4 years ago. Since EH is liquid, I made it known that I don't like paying for water, especially when it's not up to my standards, which I then explained. I was told they first purify their water with RO, the use a huge vortexing machine to mix the nutes. DAMN. What the hell, I'm in!

I had 5 plants that were ready to flip and one that had already been getting HR during bloom for a couple weeks. I finished her with EH. She's been drying for 5-7 days now. A couple weeks back I took a couple small branches from the very bottom. Early taste is phenomenal, and I love the high; very heady and happy, I came up with the idea for this thread and am happily typing away after just 3 hits.

So what makes this thread work is the fact that I have 2 near identical fat sat dom hybrid christmas bushes that I took 5 clones from (see pics, one on left has been under 240w TL hot5 LEDS. The solo twin is finishing under an Amare Technologies SE 250 CoB Hybrid

The clones have only been on HR for a few days ~ 250ppm. Tomorrow I will dump them and switch to EH 3 part Grow Micro and Bloom. This will provide a comparison between HR for veg + EH for bloom vs EH throughout.

I'll take pics after I change out the nutes tomorrow

View attachment 370092 View attachment 370093

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I asked EH what the difference is between 2 and 3 part

Short answer is micros are mostly in part A and some in B. It's like having control of only volume not treble and bass.

3 part gives you equalizing capability and more control for pro but prone to messing up for staff. Two parts we take guesswork out of it and just have formula for grow and another for bloom.

Homebrewer

Veteran
Emerald harvest looks like another GH 3-part copy. If it's virtually the same then it should do you pretty well!

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Damn, in the last 2 weeks I had to buy a new RO and a new ph testr. I upped my game on both. The testr handles pH, TDS, and temps. I sent $50 at the hydro store getting stabilizing solutions, calibration solutions and hold solution

BillFarthing

Veteran
Does everyone know the Emerald Harvest story? The co-founder split off of Advanced when one of the 3 partners was found to be a kiddy fiddler. He started Emerald Harvest with the know how from Advanced. They sniped one of their sales guys as well.

Here's my quick review. I sell the most of their cal-mag because it has kelp in it too. The laundry bottles aren't sealed, so they leak all over and can be tampered with.
The base fertilizer just chugs along without any huge surprises. It's pretty good for the bottle price.

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
too bad you got side tracked away from the RAW line. i do 5 gal dwc, currently using the ionic line but like you hate paying for water. been trying to compare the hydro research with RAW line for next grow in the fall

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
too bad you got side tracked away from the RAW line. i do 5 gal dwc, currently using the ionic line but like you hate paying for water. been trying to compare the hydro research with RAW line for next grow in the fall

HR does a great job in veg, and a pretty darn good job in flower, but too much N in flower can't be good, and the lack of bloom boosters means something is being left behind

I thought to add RAW to HR for bloom, but that does not resolve the high N

The thing about RAW is there is a lot of micro combining that could easily get over or underdone on any mix. I feel safer knowing that EH has mixed them in correct ratios for me

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This picture depicts 2 plants, same strain. Everything was the same except for lighting: TL @ 240w, Amare @ 250+.

The plant on the left was veg/flowered under Transcend Lighting T5s, but was skinny, with soft buds. As soon as I could, I moved it under the Amare SE 220
(but only had ~ 10 days left) in hopes of the buds fattening and tightening up: they did tighten up a good bit, but it was too late for fattening. The plants on the right were transferred prior to flowering

It is possible that I was using too much red, mixing them 1:1= 4:4. If I run the TL again for flowering I will reduce reds to 2:1

Note how much bigger the main stalk is under the Amare,
and how much smaller the buds are under the TL. The Amare buds are rocks

View attachment 371763

View attachment 371764 View attachment 371765

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
HATE THAT Emerald Harvest line. Those bottles blow and leak everytime there shaken up.

The cal-mag includes kelp and fucks up a sterile res.

guess theres a nute line for everyone will never support anyone from Advanced Nutrients

:) good luck regardless

I solved the leak problem by simply pouring some into a glass, then using a 5ml measuring dropper to measure

What does the kelp do, negatively IYO? Been using it for a week in otherwise sterile rezes. Plants look happy so far

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Harvested the rest of the presumably Blueberry Cheesecake. Just a few nice buds left on her at the moment (to the right of the G13).

Next up to start harvesting the sat which is probably G13 dom (pic #4)

Seedlings are doing quite well under the TLs

The clones are beginning to adapt to their new environment

I cannot say I see bigger buds or more trics than with the V + B. The proof will be in the smoke

View attachment 372963 View attachment 372964 View attachment 372965

View attachment 372966

ahh my current dilemma....im getting sick of botanicare. Saw EH and was gonna try it next, but found out HR and it seems so much simpler

my tap is 0.3 EC and the soft formula says up to 0.4 but the hard line says its for tap so im confused

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
ahh my current dilemma....im getting sick of botanicare. Saw EH and was gonna try it next, but found out HR and it seems so much simpler

my tap is 0.3 EC and the soft formula says up to 0.4 but the hard line says its for tap so im confused

I suggest using HR for veg, then switching to EH Cali Bloom 2 part for flower. Later you can introduce the supplements

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran

That's easy. You control the amount of N with RAW. Have you watched Harleys YT grow video?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am loving the EH 3 Part. Plants are growing amazing now that I corrected an issue that prevented equal amount of nutes to split off to both plants.

I moved a small plant from the tent on the right to the tent on the left, meaning the large plant now has the SE 250 all to herself.

All 3 plants that were compromised are now taking off.

The large plant already has pistils on just 6 days of reduced light

I replaced the TL t5 tubes with my SPYDR 600, providing almost double the watts

View attachment 375246 View attachment 375247 View attachment 375248