What's new

Hydro shop etiquette

thaiboxer

Proper management will not be like that. Authorities will collapse if they will have to wait to catch marijuana growers in hydro stores. It is not effective.
They would prefer to close all the shops claiming they provide materials to the marijuana growers. And when they can not do it, they will not wait for them at the gate.
They have proven a good method - informers.
They do not even have to recruit them. The authorities know what is happening in your environment, as long as you "lower", good chances to remain "high" ..
Not by the secrecy of what you buy.
By secret of what you're smoking, especially with whom !!

i actually started a thread on this after one of my cop friends informed me its routine to run plates of people coming out of hydro shops on slow days.

Yeah, I'm legal and my grow shop guys are too, and we do trades and such and one day I pulled it out at the counter and he was like "there's been an unmarked in the parking lot all day, lets go to the back." I'm friends with my grow shop guys as well. I ask for advice, but more about specific questions about the equipment ie how big of a rez will this chiller cool.

HYDROHERO

Hi Everybody! let me put my 2 cents worth in , as a hydro store owner in cali my employee and myself have to be very careful about what we say even though we are in a Med state leo has sent in undercovers to check us out, also when we start up a credit account with a major distributor i had to sighn a waiver stating i would not sell to anybody i new was growing illegal stuff and if i do get cought they can stop selling to me and demand full payment , i ask my customers to speak about what they are doing in generic terms such as my flowers not my buds,and oil production not tricomes you get the picture, well that's it for now if you have any comments or questions let em rip i will be happy to try and answer them, thanks .................peace out.........

I live in a very non-friendly state, so; as a result, there are'nt too many hydro or head shops around. Needless to say, those business owners are walking a tightrope, & can't afford to get their asses shut down, all because of some stupid crap that could have been easily avoided. Just mentioning the green will get you out real quick; and to tell you the truth, I can't blame them.

The principles are basically the same. You wan't to grow & survive? It's not easy, but it's not rocket science either. Probably nine tenth's of it is, not taking unnecessary risks. Driving to the store & smelling like skunk, wearing pot-head shit, talking about the erb to total strangers? Those are not exactly good survival skills, are they? Shops & shop owners that engage in this, usually get shut down, (especially in non-med states).

VagPuncher

Balls Deep!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My grow store guys are awesome. We shoot the shit for 30 min minimum every time I go in. They give me tons of free nutes.

Jons all the way!

i got my hydro store to stock blumats! they are chill, they are all growing at home, but they arent that pro. they will ask advice, like what do you think we should put into our house soil blend, and ask me what microzeah products i use. they know not to try and sell me on shit as im normally asking about shit they have no clue about, as in blumats. fuck etiquette, its like a head shop first you go in there, dont want to give the clerk any clue as to what your doing, then 5 years later you go in there and buy 4 cases of butane, companies are now allowed to call bongs bongs, what gives, only your paronia. ill tell any bartender that asks if drank in a bar before i was of age, hell yeah i did. you gotta master the conversation, thats all. what do you tell the lady at walmart when you buy a couple cases of vacuum bags? cooking turkey for the homeless.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
the 'lady' at walmart doesn't know what turkey bags are for (maybe turkeys)...yeah i don't want to hang out at the store too long either...but malfunctioning equipment had me in there 3 times in a month. fuck, could i get a mullagin?

chosen

Veteran
People should have proper courtesy as the Store owner said. If you want to draw attention to yourself and get caught, that's fine. Yet, stores shouldn't be put at risk. And everyone doing hydro isn't a weed grower either. Where do you think a lot of your lettuce and tomatoes come from? There are hobby growers of everything in the store.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
I try to go to the grow store as infrequently as possible. I don't look like I smoke, putting it mildly, and the store is really my only public exposure as a grower. I walk in knowing what I want, ask for the product, and say nothing else. The employees tell me the cost and give me the change. That's usually the extent of it. If anyone asked what I was growing or the details of my setup, I'd leave immediately and never come back.

Simon

303hydro

senior primate of the 303 cornbread mafia
Veteran
I think there needs to be a thread here detailing the things that should and should not be said or done while in the hydro shop. I will start:

1) Don't go into the store smelling like you just finished manicuring a pound of skunk#1. Wash your hands and change your shirt before you leave the house.

2) Don't announce that you are "growing pot." It doesn't matter how you phrase it, just don't reveal that you are growing cannabis. This includes saying that you are growing "tomatoes" while making the finger quotes gesture with your hands. :crazy:

3) Don't mention the word "females" when talking about plants, unless you know about legal dioecious plants and can talk about them. You might want to research that one before going to the store.

4) Don't ask if darkroom tents block infrared imaging from overhead aircraft. Store employees don't know the answer to this question, plus it only reveals you are doing something illegal. Why not ask the manufacturer those types of questions, instead of the retailer?

5) Don't mention an article you read in High Times or Skunk magazine, or anything like that. Isn't this one self-explanatory?

6) Don't bring cannabis leaves, plants, or pictures thereof into the store in hopes the employees will tell you what pests or nute deficiencies you are dealing with. Duhhhhhhh.

7) Don't allow yourself to ever think you have become cool with the store employees, to where you think you can finally reveal what you are doing. Just continue to be a tomato farmer.

Obviously these only apply to places where cannabis is illegal, but I suppose they might be applicable to other places as well. Now if anyone else would like to contribute to this thread, please be my guest. :)

1) Disagree. If someone is comfortable going into public in this condition I don't think the Hydro shop should discriminate any more than the guy at 711.

2)Agree. Of course.

3)Disagree. The Hydro store guy isn't gonna quiz you about dioecious plants if you mention female/male- just don't mention the M word.

4)This is so random. Disagree. Every good shop at least special order's infrared blocking material. Major distributors are starting to carry this in the main line up.

5)Agree. Obviously.

6)Agree. Obviously.

7)Disagree. They already know what you are doing, if you are in there often enough to become friends than they are the last thing you should be paranoid about.

DaPurps

I try to go to the grow store as infrequently as possible. I don't look like I smoke, putting it mildly, and the store is really my only public exposure as a grower. I walk in knowing what I want, ask for the product, and say nothing else. The employees tell me the cost and give me the change. That's usually the extent of it. If anyone asked what I was growing or the details of my setup, I'd leave immediately and never come back.

Simon

Same here. I drive over an hour just so im out of town. If an employee asked what im growing, im GONE. I am in and out with a purpose.

I would be crazy to go to the hydro store 15minutes away.

TruthOrLie

Veteran
First time I went in my local shop dude busts out with the super sales pitch for "Bud Blood"

He says: It tricks your plant into thinking its dying so it responds by creating loads of new budsites for flowers. It literally explodes.

Somehow I didn't buy it.

Anybody use bud blood?

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
this thread is great. It just reminds me of how much I love physically going in to hydro shops.

there are not many stores where I get THAT excited.....the hydro shop is one of them.

And the guys in there are pretty good about stuff. They are no experts, but they know everything I do...and a bit more. I usually don't ask many questions, but if I do have them...they are more than happy to help....and they never push ANY products on me...I am usually the one up selling myself.

loolz

D

darkhorse

i went into my local U.K hydro shop the other week,4 years or so i have been going
in. when i paid for my stuff he just came out and said "my man got busted so im on the
hunt" i just said when i run out im out i dont bother looking and off i went.

what would you guy,s have done? i really dont want to get too friendly and be
hanging around a grow shop which is local, 15-20 miles away local.

G

greenmatter

hey stoner .... after you get out of the hydro shop throw a f%^ing blanket over that stack of shiny new stuff piled to the roof in your back seat ..... cops and rippers can read too

Latest posts

Latest posts