What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

*******HYDRO FRANKENSTIEN*********

A

Amstel Light

anybody ever hear of someone starting in individaul pots with coco..

getting root bound then transplanting plants into larger rubbermaid tubs....

then gets rootbound again but runs out of coco and (to paranoid to go back to hydro store)...
instead uses hydroton clay pellets he has laying around to fill the bottom of a larger rubbermaid sort of like a bato bucket....

then rootbound again he cuts and drills hole in bottom and sides of tub places that tub in another larger tub filled with water and air.. dwc??????

A

Amstel Light

hahaHAHEEE how am i to interpret your cartoon LB?anyone see or hear of what i have described ?

evilunclephil

I'm sure none of us have ever heard about that before, perhaps you'd be so inclined as to somehow acquire pictures of this mystery man's setup for us to gawk over?

A

Amstel Light

TY all!! it was a ghetto fabulous journey..

Wow that is a fatty stem on that one guy there. I had one of those once, veged it out for 5 months. How old is that bad boy?
WHAT!!!! no more than 2 weeks veg.. 8 weeks flo..10-12 days clone..

Yeah I know right. Twas my first grow and I started with some bag seeds and then got the good genetics. I waited for the good shtuff to catch up before I started flowering. Ah novice mistakes.

A

Amstel Light

Yeah I know right. Twas my first grow and I started with some bag seeds and then got the good genetics. I waited for the good shtuff to catch up before I started flowering. Ah novice mistakes.

Iheear ya! yea this was bagseed as well , started to herm on me it shoulda went 2-3(?)more weeks..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH your freakin crazy man.

Whats the go with two little stemmed plants and one enormous plant?
i did not need them... one was a male so i just left 2 massive fan leaves on each and kept them alive sorta, so roots would not rot...

A

Amstel Light

any ideas how this could be improved? might be in the same situation soon?

bluebublelove

I've run a layer of hydroton underneath my coco for ebb and flo runs before for a few reasons, mostly I started because I got the notion that less of the medium would tend to come loose from the container causing potential clogs in my pump, also that is would keep the medium from becoming to compact in wet conditions during the flood cycle causing less than optimum draining and also add as a wicking agent for small amounts of water to slowly creep up the medium during the flood. I found later that in larger, longer flowering, or plants that I had vegged for long period of times or just had naturally larger root systems would effortlessly grow out of the bottom of the pot, resisting becoming root bound and would grow seamlessly into a bed of hydroton in between containers so that the roots would be covered from light, excess air, etc.

not really a bad way of doing it if you ask me.....

you may think you're doing something wrong because you came about your situation on accident but often you will find new, productive methods in all aspects of life from making mistakes..........I'm not saying this is a good reason to be uneducated....just sometimes ignorance and the universe work in your favor and guidance.

it sounds like your plants have lived in a few different containers throughout their lives....if they are showing problems it could be because of stress they have undergone and not necessarily the situation with the medium.

throw some pics up if you can.

good luck.

peace!

A

Amstel Light

no this was last years go. im just looking for some ideas if ihave to do this again,i will never let my roots get "bound".thanks for your experience bubbles!

Latest posts

Latest posts