What's new

Hurricane Fans??

Guest423

Veteran
did a search and only found a small amount of info on the hurricane fans, looking to pick up a new fan and debating on a hurricane or vortex...the vortex seems killer and more popular but the hurricane i can pick up locally and wouldn't have to order one.

my main concern is noise, are the hurricanes pretty quite or are they noisy beasts? i'm probably gonna pick up a speed controller also. anyone out there with hands on experience with these hurricanes?

tngreen

Veteran
panasonic whisper fans. do a search for it on here, huge thread about em. think they go up to 365cfm

Guest423

Veteran
yeah, i've already read up on them, i don't want one though.

i'm getting a hurricane or vortex, i'm mainly wanting to hear from people that use hurricanes...i already know vortex's are great but i'll go with the hurricane if it's quite since i can just go pick one up easily.

NorCal

Veteran
i dont care for vortex's in fact i just replaced my 6" w/ a can fan and it pushes lots more air, my other vortex's are for my lights and one already started giving out on me messing w/ my temps and after only one run.

Guest423

Veteran
can fans are way to noisy for me....i don't really care for the can fan or the filters...but they do move alot of air.

marx2k

Veteran
NorCal said:
i dont care for vortex's in fact i just replaced my 6" w/ a can fan and it pushes lots more air, my other vortex's are for my lights and one already started giving out on me messing w/ my temps and after only one run.

Mind telling me what you disliked regarding the Vortex? I have one on its' way to me and would like to know what I'm in for. I ordered the 6"

KillerDemo

marx2k said:
Mind telling me what you disliked regarding the Vortex? I have one on its' way to me and would like to know what I'm in for. I ordered the 6"

same here i just ordered a 6 inch vortex and would like to kno ppls opinion on it

you have to consider size and cfm rating but the vortex would be quieter, not as strong and cost more. Strength vs Sound basically, quiet counts a lot in my book... safety is #1. I'm lookin to replace a hurricane with a vortex soon because of this. vortex is as quiet as it gets. If you don't like your vortex, i'll trade u... deal or no deal :)

Guest423

Veteran
thedarkknight said:
you have to consider size and cfm rating but the vortex would be quieter, not as strong and cost more. Strength vs Sound basically, quiet counts a lot in my book... safety is #1. I'm lookin to replace a hurricane with a vortex soon because of this. vortex is as quiet as it gets. If you don't like your vortex, i'll trade u... deal or no deal :)

is your hurricane loud?

its not too loud... i'll continue to use it, the hurricanes are pretty strong hence the name, but that strength comes with noise. I guess the raw power makes fans with higher cfms more flexable since you can quiet them down if you want, but a weak fan can't be made stronger. Of course there are things that can be done to make them quieter like silencer, speed control, ducting, box around it... but i just prefer it being naturally quieter so i don't have to setup more things... i'm lazy like that. but vortex is as quiet as it gets supposedly... i haven't tried every kind of fan, but i know people who have and they say it is the quietest. i'd take a vortex over any other kind given my situation, elicent is good too. quiet is important to me, out of sight out of mind.

rdy

Hey T2U,
I own a 6 inch hurricane and just got a fan speed controller [or router speed controller to be politically correct] and it works fine. w/o she's pretty damn loud, a no brainer because she's so damn powerful.
I dont know much about vortex, or why ppl say they're better, if they're solely going on the cfm numbers [which probably dont vary by much] then i'd sya they're probably about the same, they're both centrifugal fans right?

to answer your question, no, my hurricane on controller isn't loud.

good luck whatever you decide

Guest423

Veteran
cfm ratings and warranties don't mean nothing to me. hands on experience and quiteness is what counts.....any 8" fan i get is gonna be way more cfm's then i need and if the fan breaks i'm not the type to go with the warranty i'd just get a new one.....5 yrs-10yrs warranty isn't a big deal...i'll probably have something else 5-10 yrs from now anyway.

but the part that matters most is i can get a hurricane 30 minutes away and the vortex i'd have to order online which i don't like to do.

i already plan on getting a speed controller, using rubber washers and insulated ducting for even more quiteness.

do you think i could hear it in the next room through a door set up like this?

thanks for the info on these hurricanes

Last edited:

D.W.A.I.

Time2Unite said:
i already plan on getting a speed controller, using rubber washers and insulated ducting for even more quiteness.

I have a 4" vortex, and haven't gone to great lengths to quiet it down. I just have regular dryer ducting and venting out the window. I also have a speed controller. With the fan on it's highest speed, I can hear it (basically as loud as people talking very softly) when walking by the room. If I close the door (I put weatherstripping in the door jam...it helps) I can -barely- hear it, and that's only if I'm trying to listen for it. The 8" is going to be louder, but with any effort whatsoever, you can probably get it relatively quiet. That's still a lot of air to quiet down :). Inlines are a great investment.

yeah ur gonna hear a 6" or a 8"... if you quiet the rpm with the speed controller, then you won't.... but then you won't have the same power so you might as well go with the vortex. At the same loudness the vortex is probably going to be stronger because it is made with smoother bearings (or something like that) and is made to be quiet while the hurricane is made for raw power. You could also use a silencer though, or build a box around it. I use bungee cords for the vibrational noise.

I hate ordering anything too, you have to wait for it, there's the shipping, its a connection to growing, and trying to get the thing by playing tag with the mail guy. I thinkin the vortex is gonna be more expensive without all the fees, and shipping. But i'd still go with the vortex... in a few months when the dust settles you'll be like "crap this thing is too loud" when strong Or "this thing isn't strong enough" when quiet. Can you get the hurricane, try it out, then return it?

what are you trying to cool anyway?

Last edited:
dude i just tried to snipe a couple 8" vortex from ebay... please don't tell me that was U... cuz if it is... they suck and you should trade me for my grotek...

sirharrynuggz

Time2Unite said:
cfm ratings and warranties don't mean nothing to me. hands on experience and quiteness is what counts.....any 8" fan i get is gonna be way more cfm's then i need and if the fan breaks i'm not the type to go with the warranty i'd just get a new one.....5 yrs-10yrs warranty isn't a big deal...i'll probably have something else 5-10 yrs from now anyway.

but the part that matters most is i can get a hurricane 30 minutes away and the vortex i'd have to order online which i don't like to do.

Well, it sounds like your mind is already made up. If you want the one of lesser quality because it's closer than go get it. I just thought you were asking which was actually better, sorry.

sirharrynuggz

p.s. I've used FanTech, Hurricane, Elicent and Vortex, and sold all of them (cheap) besides the Vortex's. Like I said... best on the market.

G

T2U......Sir Harry is WAY "right" bout the quality and reliability of the vortex fan`s......I have no clue bout a Grotek Dark Knight but the vortex`s work great with fan speed controllers and thermostats attached without affecting their performance or length of usage..( I own 6-6"ers and completely satisfied plus they`re cheap at mdhydro.com..$148)...I totally understand about buyin local instead of online so there`s ways to tone down the hurricane`s noise AND cfm`s with the controllers,bungees, insulated boxes and ducting,etc. and since you`re able to buy locally,go ahead and let us know how everything turns out for yas......PEACE.........DHF........... :sasmokin:

Latest posts

Latest posts