What's new

Humidity... where does it go?

ProGroWannabe

Although your logic is spot-on, the actual amount of moisture that will fall out of suspension at the temperature changes that we're speaking of is minimal at best. The insulation comment earlier was more of a safeguard than actually necessary.

If I were to be air-cooling my reflectors now, like I do in the spring and summer, I'd bet money that with adequate airflow to provide cooling, that air's exit temperature is no more than about 85 degrees F....and that's with TWO 1K's. So if the O.P. was running 85 degree air to the attic, and it gets down to 65 tops, on average, then we're only talking 20 degrees. Now take that 20 degrees and run it 20 feet in the 65 temp attic and you get 65 degree or so air out of the end of it and a very slow climb down to that 65 degrees.

If the O.P. was saying that the tent itself was vented to the attic and not the light, then he's speaking of an even lower temperature drop.

One could think about it this way.......if cabins back in the day had this much water condensating from a cedar shake roof, to the hot loft space below, they'd have felt like it was raining inside.

Or imagine outdoors every single day/night (for most us, geographically speaking, anyway) ...our daytime temperatures are nearly 20 degrees different from that of our nighttime lows. And on a windy night, there's no frost or dew. The reason for this is because the air is keeping the water vapor from being able to condense and form a droplet. So this water vapor is kept in microscopic size particles, if you will. So the more gradually this temperature variance is introduced, the better the odds are that no condensation will occur.

Remember also that attics are vented (almost always). So there's a natural airstream in your attic all time. So.... that much larger body of air, that's also moving and fluxing constantly is allowed to slowly absorb the slightly more humid, warmer air from the drain tile, this allows for the air exchange through the attic vents to work in our favor by aiding us in the exchange.

But hey....at the end of the day, it was just a suggestion for him to consider.....:)

ProGroWannabe

Here's another thought that I had last night. It's a bit involved, but would solve all the issues at the same time.

If you ran some hard duct or PVC into the attic and sealed the joints, you could drill some holes in it to allow the heat to escape. But to fight the condensation issue, if you suspect you'd have one, you could place a Y-fitting near the junction of your tent's ductwork and the PVC or hard duct. one branch of the Y would be to continue the air flow to the attic. The OTHER branch of the Y could be pointed toward a bucket on the floor so that any condensation could be caught in the bucket. All that you would have to be sure of is that the pipe/duct running into the attic were held at a slope so that gravity would make sure any water created, went back to the bucket to be collected.