What's new

HumboldtLocals Outdoor 2010

G

Ganja D

Sorry if this has been asked already but what do you do for bug control...?

We try to keep our plants clean of dead or dying leaf and healthy fist off. We also spray a fully organic OMRI listed insect spray from a company called Monterey Garden. Mostly for preventative measures,especially in the greenhouses. We work it into our foliar spray schedule. Hopefully it won't be necessary much.:)

H

humboldtlocal

We try to keep our plants clean of dead or dying leaf and healthy first off.

That is so much of the equation right there. Strong healthy clean plants will be much less susceptible to any bugs or diseases. A stressed plant covered in dead leaves has a much better chance of getting infected with something. Like Ganja D said we do a lot of preventative measures before we have any problems. It is just part of the job. I have a very good idea of what to anticipate in my gardens after so many years and plan accordingly.
The clones we got from outside sources were all quarantined and treated for mites before being brought into our veg room. The room had been thoroughly cleaned before hand as well. We also treated everything from very early on with predator nematodes to take care of any fungus gnats. There seams to have been a real outbreak of them in Cali in the last year between all the infected clones being sold at collectives and the low quality soil mixes being rushed to market.
On that note, I got to visit a very well done medical indoor grow yesterday. Very professional and some lovely meds as well. These guys were taking a lot of preventative measures to ensure they had clean pest and disease free meds. I was very impressed.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Some of the strains were Grandaddy Purp, Green Crack, OG, Pre 98 Bubba, and a very heavy yielder that looked like it would trim up nicely in the Twister called C4 or C9 I think it was. Huge thick stinky buds with almost no leaf. Very nice.

I have been seeing way more Black Widows around my home this year than ever before. I don't know if it has something to do with the weather or what but they seam to be everywhere. This after noon I took this pic of a lizard caught in a widows web. The lizard was still alive. He was about 3-4" long and the widow was pretty large as well. Stay safe everyone.
picture.php

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
lol hope you let the lizard out! spider needs to stick to insects and other arthropods leave the lizards alone!

those pictures of the med grow are intense man! thanks for sharing them! haha i watched a doco last night that included a bit on marijuana in cali and humbolt etc, i didn't realise you guys had such big issues with guerrilla growers in your national parks tearing up the place... one of the sights had like 4700 plants over 5-6 grow patches... all that work and they got busted lol what a fail! apparently the majority of the guerrilla stuff is done by illegal immigrants etc... the stuff you learn!

H

humboldtlocal

There was a bust here in a park in Humboldt two years ago where they busted a 120,000 plant guerilla grow. That is not a typo. 120,000 plants. Authorities said it was a cartel operation. They always say it is cartel related if there are amigos working the gardens but most of the time the owners of the operations are locals. Locals have been using cheep latino labor for decades up here on these crops. Most of the ones that are all latino operations are not cartel related anyways. Just amigos trying to feed their families. The stories of people being kidnapped in Mexico and taken to slave on pot farms in Cali is ridiculous.

T

Trinity Gold

HL can you imagine me trying to kidnap some one to work on my ranch??

"Heyyy bro do you want to get in my truck now please?" *puff puff*

Tom Hill

Veteran
One day a grower around here decided to use some cheap labor so he goes down to home depot and pics a few guys up for the day. He stops off at the store before heading up and buys a bunch of headbands. He blindfolds these guys for the last stretch up to his camp - was afraid they might come back in the fall and rip him off if they knew where they were etc.

So anyway, he's got these guys digging holes all day, manually. At the end of the day this guy decides he'd like to do a few extra large holes as well.

After instructing the laborers how he wants these last few done , the laborers just look at each other and run their asses off. 8 miles down the road to the local fire department. Out of breath and in broken english, they explain to the fire department how this guy blindfolded them, made them dig holes all day then at the end was trying to get them to dig their own graves so he wouldn't have to pay them etc. The dude just wanted a few really big holes, lol. :D

(heard this from a fireman friend of mine who knew the guy they were working for)

Tom Hill

Veteran
Thanks, I got a million of them. Nothing ever happened to the grower. Well, except he never did get his few really big holes that year, lol. And he did get a little scare from our mutual firefighter friend about how these guys came running into the shop with their story - but all turned out well in the end, except those guys never did get paid for their work. -T

H

humboldtlocal

Great story Tom. These hills are full of them. Plenty of good ones that will never be told as well.

I love the way Ganja D added a song to his last post and I wanted to do the same. So click on the link to hear my new favorite song as you enjoy my next few posts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsuJa8oSH7s

Here is a little color from around the farms.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This is a Tower Of Jewels about to take off. They make a ten foot tall purple cone flower that is something to behold.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Butter Fly Bush. One of my favorite plants. The smell is delicious.
picture.php

Here is a bamboo that maybe Nomaad can identify for us. It is a clump bamboo and doesn't run at all. It is over 15 years old and about 12' tall.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
H

humboldtlocal

Purple Star
picture.php

Shoe Goo
picture.php

Burmese Kush Goo
picture.php

Mikado Oak
picture.php

picture.php

Another Mikado Oak
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Burmese Kush Goo
picture.php

Getting the cages on. We will still be adding trellis netting to the tops of the hoops as well.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The new garden is really starting to take off. I am so glad we put this one in.:)
picture.php

picture.php

G

Green Supreme

Damn the Oak crosses are crazy plantys. Thanks again for sharing. Peace GS

DirkDiggler420

nice. I was wondering about the height restriction cause of your hoops? do they come off, i am assuming these things get much taller right?

H

humboldtlocal

Can you see whats on the ground.
picture.php

Capt Nefarious had seen this same one with four babies earlier in the day.
picture.php

picture.php

Cages are going on.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This is Capt Nefarious' Sour Diesel. He has been breeding this strain for close to a decade and he is well know as The Sour Diesel man in our neighborhood. It is some amazing smoke and I am so happy to be adding this to our gardens. He has bred some amazing Sour taste into this one. It really yields well and is a very vigorous plant. We grew a lot of Sour D clone last year and I will never grow the clone again. Yield was poor, plants were weak, and it didn't trim up well with the Twister. The Capt's on the other hand makes thick, greasy, golf ball sized buds that are perfect for the Twister. I have been so impressed with how uniform and vigorous all of his plants are. Very good genetics on this one.
picture.php

One of my Hindu Kush/Blue Berry X Grapefruit Black berry's. We have started calling this strain Black Hindu. She has been representing some of the biggest plants in the garden.
picture.php

picture.php

Purple Star
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I really enjoy doing these updates and I hope every one else enjoys it too.:thank you:

HempHut

I really enjoy doing these updates and I hope every one else enjoys it too.:thank you:

That was absolutely jawesome -- jaw droppingly awesome. Very enjoyable indeed. And that's even before you've started flower -- the show will only get orders of magnitude better, methinks.

Right back at you -- :thank you:

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
There was a bust here in a park in Humboldt two years ago where they busted a 120,000 plant guerilla grow. That is not a typo. 120,000 plants. Authorities said it was a cartel operation. They always say it is cartel related if there are amigos working the gardens but most of the time the owners of the operations are locals. Locals have been using cheep latino labor for decades up here on these crops. Most of the ones that are all latino operations are not cartel related anyways. Just amigos trying to feed their families. The stories of people being kidnapped in Mexico and taken to slave on pot farms in Cali is ridiculous.

lol no shit?! that sounds crazy... 120 000 plants?! some idiots got done here in aus a while back because they'd planted multiple hectares worth of weed worth 9 million dollars (AUS), the idiots had planted them all in lines and squares etc... choppers saw it eventually and bam OVER... the idiots who did it got in so much more trouble too because they'd set up bear traps (but bigger) with sharpened teeth on them at the bottom of slippery ditches around the fields that would've cut legs off and actually kill trespasses. they will be in jail for a very long time.

Latest posts

Latest posts