What's new

Humboldt County worries about life after legal pot

meduser180056

The feds say that california will lose a lot of federal funding if this passes they are gonna work hard to stop it.

This will make the legislator and voters think twice... When the feds say it still will be illegal and they will withhold money from the state to stop it.

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
The feds say that california will lose a lot of federal funding if this passes they are gonna work hard to stop it.

This will make the legislator and voters think twice...
When the feds say it still will be illegal and they will withhold money from the state to stop it.

Unfortunately that's how it likely will go....

C

Cinderella99

Wow, fuck MADD. I'd like to see a shred of evidence to back their statement.

What are the exact cultivation stipulations in that? I've only seen it mentioned in a few articles about it.

I don't rightly know, dude. But 215 pretty much uniformly moved the 10 sq foot grow space in the original 420 to 6 mature plants with the provision that if local (city/county) jurisdictions had expanded (ie: 12 mature plant) guidelines, they'd override the 215 6 plant blanket stipulation.

Really though, dude, these possible legal limits are already set since all that many do-- given that they're over 18-- is walk into the office of a local doctor that advertises MJ medicine (they're coming out the woodwork), pay a hundred bucks and tell them you've got headaches, backpain, etc... Let's be honest: MJ is already almost legal in CA-- this new proposed legislation is not such a big step from where things now stand. I'll bet that 80% of the folks that want to grow, are already doin' it -- and legally-- in CA.

Up in Humboldt it's still the 10 by 10 or you can have 50 plants (that's not really enforced) or some sh*t... It's basically already completely legal up there since 1) they have huge expanded "limits", 2) the Fed has stepped out and 3) the local LEO turn a blind eye...

It's like a f*ckin' circus out here, man :)

Toyot4

I am fortunate to have wonderful friends who are in the "traditional" farming biz, and they are not rich, they just pay the bills and are very happy to be doing so. Perhaps 500 a lb is the legal outdoor price, mebe a greenhouse w lights and environmental controls will just break even in a legal market, mebe i'll be a legal ganja pharmer and drive a busted old truck and wear dirty old carharrts, and kiss my kids in the morning and say "come help your da in the fields after school". I think we all have different dreams here, thats a slice of mine.

i think this sums up what the future will hold and is the mindset of most traditional farmers.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Legalization in CA may cause a stop to the standstill of federal intervention in the CA dope scene. The president's drug czar said that legalization is "not in his vocabulary" so I don't think they'd have a problem raiding/incarcerating however many thousands of individuals it would take to scare people away from the idea of ending prohibition. You take "medical" away from the word marijuana and it becomes a completely different issue, politically. I don't know that California representatives would speak against federal intervention in a radical citizen proposition. I also think that now is the wrong time to be trying to change an industry that right now feeds so many (how many families in California depend on medical profits?).

I also want to make my nut. Know that your vote for legalization in Cali will be negated by my vote against it.

Very well put and I'm right there with you I like the way it is, anybody here can get a fucking med card!! Guess what people I GOT MINE FREE!!! Yea that's right FREE! My rec came from Medi Cann and it was a lil card that said Free Compassion Card and said present this card at your evaluation and be seen by the doctor for free! Well I called the number on the card to make my appointment and she asked me how I would be paying and something about my Dr. I said "well I have this Free Compassion Card" and she said "oh well let me just enter in your info and you will be good to go" I was blown away and still didn't believe I wasn't going to have to pay anything. I got to the office and filled out my papers,told them what I use Cannabis for and what problems I have medically. Then say the Doc and sat in a chair across from him at his desk and he looked over my papers and asked about my anxiety and if I've been to a Dr about any of my issues and I told him no. He then went on to tell me that I just need to see a Dr before I come back for my renewal. I was like WTF!!! This dude didn't even touch me give me a blood pressure test or nothing! I mean dude if that's not a "ANYBODY CAN GET THIS SHIT SITUATION" I don't know what is.So I ask my fellow Californians what the hell is wrong with the way it is? Why is there a problem with people having legal jobs at dispensaries and there's tons of tax dollars there already. I'm sorry but most people that are serious smokers have already got a med card so I don't see that tax dollars going up by much if it's legal. LEAVE IT BE!! KEEP IT MEDICAL!! LET THE TRIANGLE KEEP IT'S WAY OF LIFE!!! MY GRANDMA LIVES UP THERE AND THAT'S WHERE SHE WENT TO RETIRE YOU ARE GOING TO BANKRUPT HER COUNTY!!! AND SHE DON'T EVEN GROW OR SMOKE CANNABIS!!!

How about the logic that it will still not be legal for you to grow your own weed? You'll be able to buy it from some giant corporation though so I guess the sheeple will be happy.

Exactly! what I have heard/ read is only bills that legalize up to one ounce. Thats not shit. If its going to be legalized they need to legalize the whole plant. We nee to have all the uses taken advantage of. Hemp for all the positives... food, clothes, paper etc. If its legal make it fucking legal with out regulating peoples habits. The people that will vote for these bills are either ignorant or stupid. You gotta do research before you take a side. I'm all for it as long as the bill is all for it. Not some half as bullshit.
Don't fuck up local economies just to pad the pockets of corporations and government. If it's going to be legal it needs to be beneficial to the people. If you want to be able to buy legal pot without the rest of the benefits of this plant then get a medical card and if you can't, then go to the black market... no point legalizing it if people are still going to be going to jail for it.

Toyot4

So I ask my fellow Californians what the hell is wrong with the way it is? Why is there a problem with people having legal jobs at dispensaries and there's tons of tax dollars there already. I'm sorry but most people that are serious smokers have already got a med card so I don't see that tax dollars going up by much if it's legal. LEAVE IT BE!! KEEP IT MEDICAL!! LET THE TRIANGLE KEEP IT'S WAY OF LIFE!!! MY GRANDMA LIVES UP THERE AND THAT'S WHERE SHE WENT TO RETIRE YOU ARE GOING TO BANKRUPT HER COUNTY!!! AND SHE DON'T EVEN GROW OR SMOKE CANNABIS!!!

the only problem with the way it is now is that its labeled "medical". Most money in this business is not coming from the sick and ill. If it were to become legal i would also be able to fail a drug test positive for marijuana.

you pointed out that most "heavy smokers" already have their card. This is where all the problems are. This is no different than someone going to their doctor and complaining of pain just to get a bottle of pain killers.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
you pointed out that most "heavy smokers" already have their card. This is where all the problems are. This is no different than someone going to their doctor and complaining of pain just to get a bottle of pain killers.

And??? Doctors threw vicodin at me like it was the thing to do when I had any kind of pain problem! Plus most people smoke to calm their nerves IE anxiety and that is a legit medical problem buddy. I know I don't look sick and ill but I've got problems that a taken care of with Cannabis. Plus I'm unable to hold a normal job so being able to get income from my grow while helping others feel better is a win win situation. I would be able to not struggle financially the state would get their taxes from me and a cancer patient, a depressed mother who lost her son, a dude like me with severe anxiety, and or just somebody who's having a bad day and doesn't want to drown in a bottle will be able to have comfort for a few hours thanks to me. You know what that makes me feel better and lifts me out of my depression which is another reason I have a recommendation. Everybody needs to quit bitching about what people use Cannabis for medically it's none of their business how people get rid of a headache or how they gain a appetite. I'm also starting to get Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) in my right hand and have nodules that show up where my fingers meet my palm but I don't want to take none of that shit I see commercials for with crazy side affects! I think folks need to realize the word "Medical Marijuana" applies to a WHOLE lot more conditions than just Cancer,AIDS,and MS cuz it isn't fair to the rest of us with mental issues and body pains... :tiphat:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
but do you really wanna waste all the time and resources to grow just so you could sell your extra meds for dirt cheap?

No, I want to waste all the time and resources to grow so what's left over is totally devoid of monetary value. Or at least in the $5-$10 a ton range. The sooner mmj is worthless because we all grow our own the better for all of us.

ChronJohn

I see a lot of people are confused about the limits in the initiative:
what I have heard/ read is only bills that legalize up to one ounce. Thats not shit. If its going to be legalized they need to legalize the whole plant. We nee to have all the uses taken advantage of. Hemp for all the positives... food, clothes, paper etc.
How about the logic that it will still not be legal for you to grow your own weed? You'll be able to buy it from some giant corporation though so I guess the sheeple will be happy.
#1 reason most grows still wont be legal..limited amounts? whos gonna enforce this?

Yea the "floor" of the limits is one oz and a 5x5 grow area. But there's stipulations in the law which allow local governments to raise the limits if they want. I explained it a bit in my posts on the News article about the initiative qualifying for the ballot:

I took a good reading into the law and I noticed something that I must have overlooked before. While it does say that people over 21 will only be able to possess one oz, and grow in a 5x5 area, it says later that that is a legal threshold that the legislature cannot make lower, only higher or "less restrictive". So places like Santa Cruz, San Francisco, the Emerald Triangle, Oakland, etc which are historically in favor of higher limits regarding possession and cultivation will be able to up their limits if they want. This is something that I can stand behind. I will just move to an area which has laws that I favor. At least EVERYONE over 21 is entitled to possess at least an ounce and grow at least 25 sq feet worth of buds.

You see legalization goes beyond just allowing people to chief and grow legally. It will end a lot of the BULLSHIT going on in the medical scene, such as city councils being pussies about having dispensaries in their town, or there being "too many" dispensaries, or "people can't make a profit" blah blah blah you know pussy soccer mom bullshit issues surrounding the herb.. legalization will end the stigma and allow people to look at this realistically, rather than as something that could be diverted to the black market- cuz there will no longer be a black market! for the most part anywho.. anyways this goes way beyond convenience and ease of access. This is about not having to take a criminal charge, even if it is just a ticket out in California it's still a criminal charge that goes on your record. I, and many of my friends, have a lot of trouble finding a job all because of misdemeanor offenses on my/our record. Shit my misdemeanor isn't even a cannabis charge and it still makes it hard! But I know for a fact one of my friends just recently got fired because he was set up for a promotion and when he applied for that position as an internal applicant, they still ran a background check and fired him cuz he had a misdemeanor cannabis charge. Now he can't afford his car insurance or truck and has to get rides everywhere and can't get another decent job. It's shit like this that pisses me the fuck off!! so get past the little "corporations.. feds... funding.. culture" bullshit and support the best fucking thing since sliced bread. The culture won't poof and disappear. In fact, it'll thrive. The corporations are ALWAYS going to be ever present.. that doesn't mean you have to buy their shit!! I buy my fruits and veggies from an organic farmers market, not the grocery store. The Feds... as if we ever gave a fuck about the Feds!! Yea Cali will lose a lot of funding.. a lot of anti-cannabis funding anyways! Only an act of Congress can cut off Federal funding. You have representatives in Congress. You really think they're gonna let that happen? A lot of people on this thread seem both ignorant of the facts *shocker* and scared of change *doubly shocking* well how is it they say it? "GO BIG OR GO HOME"
:tiphat:

I

ijimunot

Legal cannabis can be grown outdoors for a fraction of the cost for indoor grows. Not every one will be able to grow their on cannabis. Half the country lives in apartments or would have security problems. If you grow get a job and sell your herb for mad or party cash. Back when you could score herb for $30 a pound everybody still made money at $15 a oz. With prices high people conserve their stash. When prices are low its party time.
Those that don't want legalization that have been screwing people with high prices surely don't give a shit if you go to jail for that bag they sold you. Grow all the herb you can sell it cheap or give it away. Times are a changing for the dealer get a job and get over it.

lsu420luv

Legal cannabis can be grown outdoors for a fraction of the cost for indoor grows. Not every one will be able to grow their on cannabis. Half the country lives in apartments or would have security problems. If you grow get a job and sell your herb for mad or party cash. Back when you could score herb for $30 a pound everybody still made money at $15 a oz. With prices high people conserve their stash. When prices are low its party time.
Those that don't want legalization that have been screwing people with high prices surely don't give a shit if you go to jail for that bag they sold you. Grow all the herb you can sell it cheap or give it away. Times are a changing for the dealer get a job and get over it.
:jump::thank you::laughing:

Like my mamma always said: "GET A FUCKING REAL JOB"!

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran

Dude blatantly said you are FOS!

The market controls the price, the dealer doesn't!

Don't want to pay what ever price a dealer is asking?

Guess what?

Don't f'ing pay it!

You seem to think commercial growing (legal or not) is NOT A JOB?

What you wrote may sound good initially but bro you have NO CLUE WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!

stc9357

It needs to be legalized so the rest of the country can follow the precedent. So the war in Mexico can be stopped because it will be pointless if California legalizes and so your fellow growers throughout the country can stop being prosecuted for a plant.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Dude blatantly said you are FOS!

The market controls the price, the dealer doesn't!

Don't want to pay what ever price a dealer is asking?

Guess what?

Don't f'ing pay it!

You seem to think commercial growing (legal or not) is NOT A JOB?

What you wrote may sound good initially but bro you have NO CLUE WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!

Yea all this talk about "Get a fucking job you lazy stoners" is pretty funny to me! Most of us work harder and more hours in our gardens than you casual smokers with jobs do at your "Real Job" so you think you can just let plants sit under a light and they just push buds out while you wait? I hand water, 3x a day and it takes me a hour each time and I have a small garden. Imagine taking care of 100+ plants keeping the PH and PPMs right. Fighting off bugs and nutrient deficiencies emptying and refilling the res, lugging 5gal jugs of water up the side of a mountain every day for 2 months straight. Digging holes in hard ground I mean dude the list goes on and on and on even recirculating systems are a full time job if you are really about your shit and want it to be the BEST it can be :tiphat:

By the way thanks Krunchbubble!!! Urkel to the rescue!

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
LOL non of this means shit on the state level ~feds gonna steam roll your asses and thank god~next republican to hit the whitehouse will bring the pain~:moon:

i was wondering about this as well. if it does become legalized, wont the feds put the pimp smack down and say no way, dont think your bad? im pretty sure they would.......

prop 215 was voted in by the people of California and the feds still put the smack down....

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
Where can you get a job? There aren't too many out there...
and as many have already said growing is not an easy thing to do. It is a Job!

Not only a job, but you become a small business owner with all the reward, overhead, and still today all the risk of losing your ass if things go wrong.

Latest posts

Latest posts