What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Humates granules... worth it or bunk??

Tomatoesonly

I was thinking of adding this to my "soil" indoor grow. My mix is 50% FFHF and 50% coco/perlite and addatives.
I don't know how much of the humate stuff is hype or if it is even usable in the 3-4 months the plant will be in the pot.
What are your thoughts on this?

Old Uncle Ben

Bunk. You'll find all kinds of miracle products in cannabis forums. Most is feel good baloney.

Based on internet hype you can add humates by using a lot of peat moss.

Everyone's out to hit the lotto when it comes to cannabis vendors and there's suckers born with every new crop of newbies.

xtsho

Bunk. You'll find all kinds of miracle products in cannabis forums. Most is feel good baloney.

Everyone's out to hit the lotto when it comes to cannabis vendors and there's suckers born with every new crop of newbies.

I'm waiting for someone to post a study outlining the benefits of humates. Cha Ching! It says right here, blah blah blah...

I could sell ground brown rice for $20 lb by claiming it made the buds taste like berries or bottled coffee by claiming it will speed up flowering time. I wouldn't market it as coffee but give it some cool name like Faster Flower and list it under the ingredients as processed Coffea canephora with a price of $25 per liter.

Yeah the cannabis growing community is a cash cow for many. Who else is going to pay $25 for a bottle of water mixed with a few pennies of some salt?

goingrey

The linked site is a farmers co-op, not a cannabis forum. They are selling the product in question for $17/50lb, peat moss sells for almost double that on Amazon at least.

xtsho

That product probably does have some benefit when used as intended for lawn maintenance which is the use they're selling it for. Spread over lawns or farm acreage outdoors. But the amount is like one bag per acre. They are not marketing it as a soil amendment for cannabis grown in pots. If they were targeting the cannabis market the cost would likely be exponentially higher.

With the OP already using a bagged soil in their substrate blend that already has added humic acid there doesn't appear to be any need to add more regardless of belief in benefit.

I've used humic/fulvic products in the past. I bought a 1lb bag of a water soluble product but I never noticed any difference. Stopped using it and didn't notice any difference. This is what I purchased years ago.

humic.jpg

Old Uncle Ben

I'm waiting for someone to post a study outlining the benefits of humates. Cha Ching! It says right here, blah blah blah...

I could sell ground brown rice for $20 lb by claiming it made the buds taste like berries or bottled coffee by claiming it will speed up flowering time. I wouldn't market it as coffee but give it some cool name like Faster Flower and list it under the ingredients as processed Coffea canephora with a price of $25 per liter.

Yeah the cannabis growing community is a cash cow for many. Who else is going to pay $25 for a bottle of water mixed with a few pennies of some salt?

I've been regular (aka "dropping the kids off at the pool") ever since I started a routine morning cocktail of CalMag, ;)

xtsho

I've been regular (aka "dropping the kids off at the pool") ever since I started a routine morning cocktail of CalMag, ;)

Oh the infamous calmag. If I was running a cannabis forum I would put calmag in the banned words filter.

I had people on another site flat out call me a liar when I told them I've never used calmag for hydro, coco, or soil grows. They just wouldn't believe it. Explaining that my nitrogen source was calcium nitrate, the micronutrient blend had magnesium sulfate, and that I was using tap water that has calcium made no difference. They couldn't wrap their minds around the fact that calmag is just Ca and Mg and those elements can come from sources other than a bottle of calmag. Even showing photos of healthy plants did no good.