What's new

HPS vs LED

clones-R-us

I was looking at getting a new light. Im using a 600w HPS to flower now but im thinking about trying one of the new LEDs, its called the Procyon 100.
It says it can produce as much light as a 600w HPS w/ 90% the savings and no heat, 70% more output than the UFO.
Is thre anyone who has used this or knows any information about it, let me know. thanx

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
There are a few threads out there that people have used LED against HID, I know there was one recently in the grow diaries section, by someone name VLC something, try running a search for LED vs HID

knna

yep, do a search on the site, many LED related threads and side by side against HPSs.

As summary, dont expect a 110w LED unit as the Procyon to give same yield than a 600w HPS. Its actually marketing hype. It barelly may compete with a 250w HPS.

LED technology is advancing very fast, so in the near future way better LED lamps are going to be released.

skylined

I still don't think I will use LEDs anywhere in the near future. No LED or even array of LEDs has the simplicity, power, penetration, and overall yield as a 1k HPS or a 600 W HPS. I'm aware they are more efficient, but when you get to a certain scale they don't strike me as practical. Good for micro grows I'd bet though.

BSSF,
~Skylined

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Well that Procyon 100 has 3 watt LED's instead of the 1 watt LED on UFO plus you can get it much closer and the spectrum wavelengths are way better. I would give it a try bro I got laughed at by my hydro 1000w hps buddies when I told them I was taking the clones they gave me and using CFL's and now 2 of them are setting up some grow boxes with CFL's..

G

46w of Luxeon LEDs are performing as well as my 250W HPS did so far, I'm adding more LEDs after this first trial run.

This Mexican is doing superb under the LEDs, smells twice as stinky as she does under HPS for some reason, if she fills in like she does uder my 250w HPS, I should get over 30g off her.

Photo-0050.jpg

Photo-0051.jpg

sns_stealth

Procyon grown buds

Procyon grown buds

heres some shots of a couple of plants after harvest. we used the same strain used in a previous 400w grow and results were similar in weight but better in potency. something about the two spectrums brings out the trichs like crazy :jump:

if youve got a personal grow id highly recommend the procyon
db

FarmerGreen

tasty looking buds...how much did it cost to set up the leds? Were there any unexpected problems/hassles along the way?

devilgoob

Veteran
jyea, the big boys of LEDs are here.

22234DSC00035.JPG

I like that one of SnS's. It's the one I used in chat to say, YOU CAN grow with LED's....

jawnroot

All the plants I've seen grown under LED look pretty ratty compared to the same plant grown under HPS/CMH/MH. As others have said, the tech is too new. Sure, using LEDs might be an option for a very small persie grow, but as a substitute for a 600watt HPS? Nooo way.

MADE 4 MENDO

in the end it comes down to this light mass is measured by lumens and led lights although effective on small scale one plant micro grow the amount of light energy measured arounnd the stem of the plant is nothing in comparison to that of a HID lamp no matter how manny led'S u are using. and in comparison With CFL they do not compare both are good for side lighting. i dont use LED but my 150watt cfl IS in my mother chamber and running strong.

jawnroot

MADE 4 MENDO said:
in the end it comes down to this light mass is measured by lumens and led lights although effective on small scale one plant micro grow the amount of light energy measured arounnd the stem of the plant is nothing in comparison to that of a HID lamp no matter how manny led'S u are using. and in comparison With CFL they do not compare both are good for side lighting. i dont use LED but my 150watt cfl IS in my mother chamber and running strong.

This is somewhat oversimplified, and it doesn't all boil down to lumens (it's more of a PAR thing). MENDO is, for the most part, right though. LEDs at this point in time just don't have the intensity required to grow some serious plants. In the LED grows I've seen, the plants look fantastic right up until 6 weeks of flowering. Then they pretty much quit. I have yet to see a serious LED bud. All the ones I've seen are a few grams at best, maybe .25 to .5 oz of airy bud per plant, total. These are for full-sized plants too. Small sea of green style plants would probably yield fuckel.

Even though these are good numbers for the personal grower, I can't help but think the final product is lacking. The spectrum for LEDs is very narrow, and although a lot of people claim it's all that's required for the plant to grow, I beg to differ. Plants use from 400nm to 700nm to photosynthesize. Granted, it photosynthesizes more efficiently at the extremes of that range, but I'm of the opinion that it uses the intermediary wavelengths for other non-essential processes.

Regardless, and as I've said, LED is not where it needs to be yet. Give it five or ten years and maybe it'll catch up to HIDs. I've been told, though, that super high efficiency fluoros are the wave of the future. We'll see. For right now LEDS and other techs are still on the horizon. Paying hundreds of dollars for an undeveloped tech is redic when for less than half the price you can have a light that would blow it out of the water.

Last edited:
G

More like 5 or 10 months, my LED grow is rocking, expect to get 15g per plant off 3 plants under 46W.

Mexican:

2595d1217527062-first-led-flowering-experiment-p1020540.jpg

Tibetan x South African:

2563d1217469116-first-led-flowering-experiment-p1020532.jpg

Afghan:

2362d1217203793-first-led-flowering-experiment-p1020519.jpg

jawnroot

GP:

Expecting and getting are two different things, although I don't doubt 15g per is doable under LED. As I mention, plants look fairly rocking until about 6 weeks into flower, then quit (ie: they don't pack on that final bulk like plants under HID do). Indeed, I'd say CFLs, T5s, or even ancient T8s are a far better option than LEDs right now, especially when cost is factored into the equation.

If LED grow lights are available in 5 to 10 months that can match or exceed the performance of an HID, and retail for less than $1000, I'll eat my hat.

(PS: Your pics didn't come through)

Last edited:
G

Must be something wrong with your pc, pics are there and working fine.

You're missing the point altogether with LEDs, efficiency and energy savings are the main factor here, UK electricity prices just shot up 17% and will continue to rise.

Got any evidence to back up your claim that plants don't finish properly? I see you talking a lot and disagreeing with people a lot such as in the UVB thread, but where are your pictures, where are your grow threads, have you actually grown with LEDs or are you just quoting other people? Talk is cheap.

Not my plants, but grown under LEDs:

Image96.jpg

Image97.jpg

Looks like it finished fine to me and didn't stall at 6 weeks. Got any evidence to support your claims or you just gonna cite years of experience like you did in the UV thread without actually saying anything that could be verified?

Last edited:

jawnroot

That's interesting GP, you chastise me for talking, then in the same breath say "Well this isn't my plant, but...."

If you read my posts, and listen to what I say, then you'll understand the information I have to offer can only be acquired from much experience and knowledge. If you want to reject it, go ahead, but don't bust my balls for trying to help people out. There are a lot of crackpot theories and pipe dreams floating around this forum that need to be dispelled, and/or tempered with reason.

Regarding pics and the whole nine: I don't post pictures online. Anyone with half a brain wouldn't either. This is a forum. What is a forum? A place where like-minded people get together and talk about a given topic. If talk is cheap to you, then forums are not where you should be.

Now then, the plant you posted above looks decent, and the buds probably smoke well, but guess what? It's going to yield about a quarter ounce. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but is that plant really supposed to impress me? If that's the best shot of a LED plant you can come up with, well, I'll just say the burden of proof is still on you.

We have to keep in mind that this thread was started by someone that wanted to replace a 600 watt HPS with a LED array. Efficiency is all well and good, but there is no way the original poster can expect 600 HPS yeilds from any commercially available LED array...period, end of sentence.

In terms of cost outlaid, to cost paid on electric, to finished product, LED is NOT efficient. You could buy a 250 watt HPS for a fraction of what you'd pay for a 100 watt array, which would blow it away in terms of performance. Admittedly it would cost about double in terms of electric, BUT you'd still have at least £100 in your pocket after all is said and done (ie: after the costs of electric and the initial costs for the LED are taken into consideration, coupled with the double to triple final harvest totals).

Last edited:

potty1

^gotta agree with this guy.
if your considering finding the performance of a 600 from a small led setup then don't waste your time or money just yet...
i'm sure the time will come when the led's get where they need to be but as yet,they're nowhere near rivaling hps.
on average i pull about 15-18 oz of top buds from my 600w.(4plants)
i'm yet to see a yeild anywhere near that pulled from leds
but
if you got the money,space and time then i'd love to be proved wrong.
maybe next grow i'll look at my costs very closely.
and work out say what a gram,produced under hps costs.then someone like gp could work out what his grams cost to produce under his leds??
i can see the running cost benefits but think you'd need alot of leds to produce 18oz thus making it not as cost effective as made out..
all speculative of course...i run flouros for eg because of the cheapness to run,ut will stick to whats proven worldwide to produce for flower
a hps lol

devilgoob

Veteran
First of all dickweeds, ganjapasha IS growing with LEDs and theyre doing fine. It's only a 45watt design, do you guys read?

BTW this is cannabis, not tomatoes, so when they say equal to a 600watt HPS, they're talking about tomatoes....I dont think they test their lights on cannabis which requires high intensity light.

I guess what it all comes down to is your all trying accurately describe reality when you havent experienced the reality of LEDS. And dont tell me youve seen this grow or that grow with LEDS, they are all shitty grows youve seen.