What's new

How you can use Facebook to track your friends’ sleeping habits

R

Robrites

It is not just the government you have to worry about tracking everything you do.....

Like most of my friends, I use Facebook on a daily level. I use the website, the Facebook app, and the Messenger app. It should come as no surprise, that Facebook keeps track of every time you visit them through any of those means. The creepy thing is, that your friends can keep track of this too.
You might have heard about this recently. On Friday (19th Feb) I was surprised to find this post at the top of Hacker News. I’ve been toying with this on and off for the past 4 months. I clearly wasn’t the only to have this idea. Here’s how it works.
Last year Facebook launched messenger.com — a web-based version of their Messenger app.

"Moral of the story: We cannot hide
Everybody I’ve shown this have been equally fascinated and outraged by the accuracy with which it predicts their sleep patterns. In this digital world we leave footprints everywhere we go, and when we do it, without even thinking about it. Facebook might block this little “hack”, so your friends no longer can track you, but Facebook will always be able to do their own data analysis which is undoubtably way better than what I’ve come up with. They are likely using this data for profiling, and creating more user-specific ads."

Read the whole article https://medium.com/@sqrendk/how-you...ack-your-friends-sleeping-habits-505ace7fffb6

dddaver

Veteran
AND, just ANOTHER reason I never signed up for Facebook. It's like no-one ever saw that movie "Social Network" and saw what evil it really all was: stolen at the inception, started mostly just to rate and bad-mouth women by werdo nerds (blatantly sexist too), screwed his partners, etc., etc. If that wasn't true don't you think Zuck would have sued for defamation?

The biggest group who cares when you sleep are advertisers who can then target when, and what you are most likely to buy. And Facebook makes money by selling that info. Then the users of that data get worse from there too, criminals knowing when best to rob you or the gov't knowing how best to exploit you and not really to serve you like you were taught when you were a kid.

This is all done by using the basic human trait of people who just want to be loved and communicate with each other and being told this will go toward that. It does that some, but it mostly it preys upon peoples privacy. They're really exploiting you and luring you by exploiting a common human emotion or finding a weakness. To me, that's really evil.

R

Robrites

If individuals can do this - Just imagine what corporations can do.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I only have an anon facebook ,,just so I can mess with dumbasses when needed....yeehaw..fuck that shit..if I haven't seen you in 20 years why would I want to know what you had for dinner now...if I wanted to be your friend I would of stayed in touch or found your ass long ago...just say no !!!!

...remembers back in the day when stalkers hid in bushes dressed in black and were looked down upon.

...now it seems like a competition for who can gain the most stalkers...I mean followers...

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How many other social networking sites share this same vulnerability?

Interesting & scarry at the same time.

R

Robrites

picture.php

Green Squall

Delete your facebook account and you will find out who your true friends are. I got sick of reading about people I don't even like.

M

mugenbao

I thought the "This embedded content does not comply with Do Not Track" message was a very nice finishing touch on the article, especially when combined with the Facebook Like button, which tracks you on behalf of Facebook :biggrin:

attachment.php

Attachments

• do-not-track.jpg
    do-not-track.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 18
I only have an anon facebook ,,just so I can mess with dumbasses when needed....yeehaw..fuck that shit..if I haven't seen you in 20 years why would I want to know what you had for dinner now...if I wanted to be your friend I would of stayed in touch or found your ass long ago...just say no !!!!

Yeah even a 6 months or year later, they are becoming pretty irrelevant. If you were meant to be in their life, they would have made some effort or you would have. We used to keep an address book with phone numbers and addresses and that had the pressure that if you didn't make contact, those details could expire (people change numbers, people move) and it would more difficult to get in contact with them and reconnect. Also with a phonebook you dont have information updated about them whats going in their life. Its the unknowing that will make you miss or think about that person.

Facebook also ruins conversation pieces, becuase you already know. But they dont know you know. Then you have that awkward moment, "yeah I already seen it on your facebook"..

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Last edited:

OGEvilgenius

Veteran
How many other social networking sites share this same vulnerability?

Interesting & scarry at the same time.

You have to think all of them on some level. Certainly all the site owners would be able to know when you login. If you login all the time it will be easy to build a profile.

Yeah even a 6 months or year later, they are becoming pretty irrelevant. If you were meant to be in their life, they would have made some effort or you would have. We used to keep an address book with phone numbers and addresses and that had the pressure that if you didn't make contact, those details could expire (people change numbers, people move) and it would more difficult to get in contact with them and reconnect. Also with a phonebook you dont have information updated about them whats going in their life. Its the unknowing that will make you miss or think about that person.

Facebook also ruins conversation pieces, becuase you already know. But they dont know you know. Then you have that awkward moment, "yeah I already seen it on your facebook"..

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Pretty great post. The more connected we get the less effort is needed to maintain said superficial connections. It's pretty weird trying to talk to someone of the younger generation. Pretty regularly get interrupted by their phones mid conversation. Some text or facebook post I guess. But it's funny because the ability to really connect only comes with direct interaction on some level beyond a computer screen. Anyone who is into yoga probably can relate somewhat to this idea.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
not into yoga but right around corner is a yoga place and one of the clients is a 11...yeehaw........makes me almost want to join....

Do it trout, you might be surprised, you like being active, depending on the yoga it can be a workout. Plus yogapants.

Also...im happy I have no clue what this threads about!