What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How would you do it?

I've been growing cannabis off and on for years but recently I became interested in playing around with genetics. I have everything I need Including a light, tent, etc... My problem Is that in the state of Maryland you are only allowed to legally legally grow 2 plants at a time. It's difficult enough to maintain a stable of varied strains to smoke under such a small count, much less trying to breed. Does anyone have any suggestions?

SolarLogos

I'm not saying you should do anything illegal, but some people would simply grow more pot. Tell no one. Cops need a search warrant to enter. I guess it depends on your priorities.
Otherwise, veg your 2 plants long enough, pinching along the way and scrog the heck out of them and try to fill the tent.
Best of luck.

CaptainDankness

Not really a good way within a 2 plant law, you could take 2 different fem strains spray STS on one make it herm and pollinate the other female. It will give you a decent variety of traits for years to come only growing 2 plants at a time.

Old Piney

So this is just a thought , you could break the law for just a bit and grow a bunch of seedlings and the graft shoots ( budding ) on one plant and tag them. This way you essentially have a bunch of individuals on one plant. I'm stealing this idea from the great geneticist lauther Berbank and his work with plumbs. I bet you could graft the getminated seed right away before they are considered plants

Reactions: X15

weedape

Depends on your goals. If you just want to create your own unique plants, you can. You could self a proven female and that would give you feminized seeds that contain a lot of variability and likelihood of desirable traits. That only takes one plant to produce enough seed to keep you busy for a long time.

I’m not a lawyer, and I understand that your state is still figuring out how to differentiate hemp and marijuana on a practical basis. Last I heard, vegetative clones, were openly being sold in brick and mortar businesses. I have no idea if it is technically legal for you to grow hemp without a license, but male plants with low enough levels of THC are not marijuana. Maybe they don’t have to figure in to your total count.

So this is just a thought , you could break the law for just a bit and grow a bunch of seedlings and the graft shoots ( budding ) on one plant and tag them. This way you essentially have a bunch of individuals on one plant. I'm stealing this idea from the great geneticist lauther Berbank and his work with plumbs. I bet you could graft the getminated seed right away before they are considered plants
Once it has roots (cutting or seedling) it's considered a plant.

weedape

Would what were once 10 or twenty separate plants, but were all connected by at least one graft and still maintaining multiple root masses, be considered one or multiple plants?

Can someone with a license to farm hemp legally run a massive selection of only males? A lot could be done with pollen from the best of a few thousand males. Look at the influence just two male haze plants used by Neville have had.

People have been disincentivized toward growing large numbers of males by simple illegality and the fact that the risk and resources to produce them have been more rewarding when applied to growing unseeded females. Even hobby growers who like to pollen chuck are always going to cull more males than females. For those reasons, and because a person can go online and procure close to any specific female clone, I think the source of pollen could be more important to hobby breeders.

albertgriffiths

I bet you could graft the getminated seed right away before they are considered plants
I've been playing around with grafting lately, and in my experience the best grafts are when the graft and rootstock are about the same diameter.
It would be hard to graft multiple seedlings on an established, trained, mother.

However, tomatoes are typically grafted at the seedling stage. But they don't graft multiple plants on one rootstock: the rootstock used is another seedling of similar development.

You would need to veg them about 2-3 weeks before being able to take your grafts, IMO.

Old Piney

I'm gonna mess around with this. I think the convenience of having multiple individuals on one plant could help out a lot in breeding , not just for legal reasons. More individuals for selection without having to grow so many plants to maturity. I grow mostly outside and got a bad back and knees it beats a little sea of green in the ground and for some reason little plant started late outside don't seem to express their potential that well

I would use this (long) video as a starting guide for people interested in various forms of grafting. Think that treating the plants like a perennial to graft multiple branches on is feasible. I'm also interested in copying how they do greenhouse tomatoes though. I think the easiest way to graft would be by inosculation. just forcing multiple seedlings to grow together and conjoin stems. I have a scotch bonnet/ghost chili pepper I'm over wintering that I accidentally created this way. They both came up in the same plug, assumed they were the same, left them, and they naturally grafted together. Would take no work up to some tape. Sorry linked the wrong vid bc the browser didn't change initially. Here is a pic of the inosculation though. Done intentionally it could obviously look much cleaner and be more than two even.

Attachments

• inosculation - Copy.jpg
    inosculation - Copy.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Grafting it is for you... there are threads here on IC dealing with the topic, do a search. One fella had like 7 different strains on one plant hahaha
Good luck and hey - consider yourself lucky you don't live in a medieval prohibitionist country with draconian repercussions to growing pot like many of us
Best
CC

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
Your already covered for any smell by two legal plants so as long as they are out of sight and you shut the fuck up I don't see a issue.

hamstring

Veteran
Anything over 2 is only a fine anyway. Remember it IS legal. Damn we can grow 12 here in Michigan.
Above is your answer.

Its legal to drive but not over the speed limit. Its a fine if you get caught. On top of that it requires a warrant to get in your house vs pulling you over for speeding.

Unless you are growing and selling you have no worries in my opinion.