What's new

How to tell if you plants like their nutrients via PPM

Dollar

So what if you have beautiful, healthy plants and the PPM`s decrease but so does the PH? I have been experiencing this and never had it before. First time it happened I freaked and overreacted thinking I had root rot. I cannot see anything but healthy beautiful pearly white roots on all plants. After months of this behavior I just accepted it and adjust the PH to 6.0 after a swing from 6.0 to 5.0. I have not taken the PPM`s above 400 in months. I run between 200 and 400. Like I said above the plants are huge and beautiful with this strange behavior happening not to mention the largest buds I`ve grown so far in many years. I have the water temp at 63 and run Zone for protection.

jackmayoffer

Veteran
jackmayoffer do your plants need 1200 ppm in flower to stay healthy or can you just push them that far? what would happen if you left them at 2-300 ppm for all of flower, would they be healthy?

the reason why im asking is because im noticing tip burn in flower with my plants right now and im only giving them 4-500 ppm. keep in mind these plants were only in veg for a week and there from seed. im really starting to think that with no veg time if i flower clones than maybe 300 is the strongest i should go for the entire flower period
In RDWC if you are not running vert lighting the plants need much less nutes and strain has alot to do with it, I would start them at 300 and see if your plants take down nutes so 300 then 24 to 36 hrs later your 200 then give them a little more now 300 and 24 hrs later 300 and ph drops then back it down. After seeing plants look great in only 150 ppm for 4 months I am a believer in lower nutes.. Hope this helps JACK

T

TREE KING

In RDWC if you are not running vert lighting the plants need much less nutes and strain has alot to do with it, I would start them at 300 and see if your plants take down nutes so 300 then 24 to 36 hrs later your 200 then give them a little more now 300 and 24 hrs later 300 and ph drops then back it down. After seeing plants look great in only 150 ppm for 4 months I am a believer in lower nutes.. Hope this helps JACK

i definitely dont want to start the plants with more than 200 ppm. i was thinking about just keeping them at 200 and then not uping it until i see the ppm go down when the res gets depleted. what do you think about that? wouldnt it be impossible to give the plants too little nutrients if the ppm's go's up as the res gets depleted? cause thats what happens even at 200 ppm, at lease in the beginning. ive never stuck at 200 for weeks in a row so i dont know what would happen later with the res

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
it would seem that way, but you have to think of ppm's as like little bits of black pepper in your food. a whole container of black pepper on a small dish of food is overkill, you can eat it all the same as if it was only a couple of sprinkles of pepper.

but eating that much pepper at once will probably make you sick, but if you took all that pepper and spread it amongst way more food... same amount of pepper, easier to digest in smaller bites.

same thing with your res, 200, or 400ppm the plants will use some and leave the rest. the only difference is that 200ppm in 1 gallon of water is way easier to digest for plants than 400ppm in 1 gallon of water.

1 drop of bleach in 1 gallon of water is easier and safer for you to drink than 1 gallon of water mixed with 1 cup of bleach. get me?